What B.S degree should PA get ?

Hi everyone, 

I'm Anna, newbie of the PA Forum. Now, I'm getting A.S degree and plan to transfer in next Fall 2017. As an international student, I have less opportunities to get into PA Schools. What B.S degree should I get if I want to become a PA? I'm looking for universities so far but don't know which one is good to chose. Anyone have some suggestions about the uni? I'm so curious about whether PA could become M.D or not? If so, they get the same B.S degree? 

Have a wonderful day. 

Bunch of thanks, 

Anna 

Hi everyone, 

I'm Anna, newbie of the PA Forum. Now, I'm getting A.S degree and plan to transfer in next Fall 2017. As an international student, I have less opportunities to get into PA Schools. What B.S degree should I get if I want to become a PA? I'm looking for universities so far but don't know which one is good to chose. Anyone have some suggestions about the uni? I'm so curious about whether PA could become M.D or not? If so, they get the same B.S degree? 

Have a wonderful day. 

Bunch of thanks, 

Anna

As has already been said, the undergrad major doesn't mean anything. The pre-reqs are important but the major doesn't matter. I have a music major in my class.

A PA can be an MD. You just have to go through med school like every other MD :)

• Administrator

I found that with an undergraduate degree in computers, I had no problem with people looking at me, assuming correctly that I could pick up EMR without any difficulty.  Ironically, I now work in a practice that has no EMR, and like that just fine.

Get a BS in which you can slip or hammer in the prereqs for 90% of PA programs.  Do not consider bogus PA programs that have bizarre prereqs.

Get a BS in something which allows for employment in healthcare, preferably one with at least minor patient contact.

If you are unable to do either of the above inside a BS, it is important to realize you will likely need to do it extracurricularly.  You will pickup prereqs at a local community college post-graduation or you will get a side job as a CNA or something similar.

Archived