What do you wish you knew before choosing your PA program?

To all of the current PA students/graduates out there: What do you wish you considered more when deciding on a PA program? Do you have any regrets choosing your specific PA program and why? For instance, do you wish you focused more on the style of their didactic curriculum, their clinicals, etc? 

I would love to hear your thoughts! I think most applicants don't realize the importance of a certain factor until they finally attend a program. I would love to hear advice about what you wish you knew or considered before choosing the right PA program for you! 

I loved my program. It let me create a focus in emergency medicine and trauma surgery through selection of my rotations. I absolutely hated the city the programs was in. That being said, I would still attend this program due to the quality of the education I received there. 

• Like 1

Looking back, I would’ve definitely reconsidered moving across the country and leaving the family I eventually lost for my program. Rather, hold out another year, keep working my comfortable job, and seek admission near my hometown for easier employment later on. That being said, I’m glad I got it out of the way when I did. 

• Like 2

I liked my program overall.  I wish I had gone to a cheaper program.  Still paying off student loans.  However, their tuition has gone up $20K + since I graduated.  So, I guess it was a steal at the time.  Went to a small, 18 cohort, program.  Liked being in a small program.  Also, loved they gave us 8 weeks of electives that we could break up however we wanted.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DizzyJ said:

I liked my program overall.  I wish I had gone to a cheaper program.  Still paying off student loans.  However, their tuition has gone up $20K + since I graduated.  So, I guess it was a steal at the time.  Went to a small, 18 cohort, program.  Liked being in a small program.  Also, loved they gave us 8 weeks of electives that we could break up however we wanted.  

How much debt did you have and how long has it been since you graduated if you don't mind me asking? 

I wish I had considered several things more:

• How the program helps towards getting a student toward the final goal: a job as a PA.  There are really only 2 things that matter:
    • PANCE pass rate (1st or 2nd time - not as much as the 1st time pass rate they beat their chest about).  Frankly, almost all programs are pretty good, e.g. 95%+
    • Availability of rotations: as the contacts  you develop are very helpful in the job search, sources of informal opinions of the student as a candidate.  This is hard for a prospective applicant to measure.  You can get a handle on what rotations are available, where they are located, etc.
  • How well the program prepares you for the learning curve in your 1st job.  This is not the same as preparing you to pass PANCE.  Again, hard to measure.  The best data will come from talking to recent graduates.

On a practical basis: getting your license and 1st job is what really matters.  That's where you will really learn your trade.  Pick the least costly way to get there.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, eluch15 said:

How much debt did you have and how long has it been since you graduated if you don't mind me asking? 

$80K.  My program was about $65K and then extra was living expenses.  I graduated 13 years ago.  I wish I had dumped all my money into them the first several years, but at least I paid extra every month.  Will probably have it paid off in about a year.   

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 5:21 PM, NicoleJo said:

I second paying more attention to tuition costs prior to even applying to any programs. I only got accepted into one program after applying to twelve and of course it was the most expensive...I’ll be out around $190,000 when this is all said and done, yay...

That is insane! Unfortunately, all of my programs that I have been accepted to are around the 100k mark so really, looks like I will be broke for a few years