Best region/state for new PA's to practice

Hi all.

I'm currently a student in the Pittsburgh area. It seems with so many schools in Pennsylvania, and just casually looking at job boards, that there aren't exactly a ton of vacancies here for PA's.

I was curious, what areas/states/cities seem to have the most opportunity for new and experienced PA's? Not just jobs, but salaries? In other words, I'm assuming an area with shortage of schools may also have a shortage of practicing PA's.

I'm also wondering if these areas would command better salaries? UPMC pretty much owns everything here anyway, so I'm guessing even if there are positions, there's probably a decent salary limitation.

Any thoughts on where to go? I'm a family man with two young sons, so I don't want to be in a huge city or in a rural area miles away from everything. Good school systems are important as is some type of civilization.

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts.

you just need to become a Lions fan... Grand Rapids is an incredible area. Medically, it is growing. Great family area, lots to do. Lots of job potential near there... as far as Pittsburgh goes, there are jobs- they may not all get posted though... the pay for PAs is just rumored to be lower than other geographic areas.

Texas is not bad, however the Texas state board of medical examiners is gestopo 'esk. Goodness help you if someone complains for pretty much anything. It's never happened to me, but it has a couple good friends. The board treats them as 100% guilty before any facts are given by the provider. It's bad.

• 7 months later...
Oklahoma is also a great state for PAs. I don't recommend Missouri. If you want to be in the N.E., have you consider Geisinger Health Care of Pennsylvania?

Bit of an old post so I don't know if poster is around but I was hoping anyone could speak more about Missouri? On first blush using internet searches alone, there are avalanches of NP openings but I have a hard time finding PA or just general "midlevel" openings. I'm in the Kansas City area. My concern is that I couldn't blast my wife out of the Kansas City area with dynamite yet I want to become a PA very badly. I would hate to make the sacrifice and then have an undue struggle for a job that equivalent grads in other states would not have to endure

I know this will probably be hard for you to consider seeing as how you are in Pittsburgh, if you want to stay in this area, I suggest you go to this website http://my.clevelandclinic.org/default.aspx. There are a lot of jobs open for PAs in a multitude of specialties. Look at the very top of the website written in very small letters is Cleveland clinic careers. They are new graduate friendly. And Cleveland as a cultural site: We have basketball, baseball, minor league hockey, the Cleveland Orchestra, rock 'n roll Hall of Fame, science center, plenty of nightlife, and the Cleveland Brown! also, since the passage of our new statutes in Ohio in 2006 we have gone from what used to be the worst practice environment to very much improved. We also have other jobs outside of Cleveland. I am currently the President-elect of the Ohio association of PAs. If you like, you can send me a private message and I will send you my phone number so we can talk. Good luck jobhunting. Don't worry!

WWCS

I know this will probably be hard for you to consider seeing as how you are in Pittsburgh, if you want to stay in this area, I suggest you go to this website http://my.clevelandclinic.org/default.aspx. There are a lot of jobs open for PAs in a multitude of specialties. Look at the very top of the website written in very small letters is Cleveland clinic careers. They are new graduate friendly. And Cleveland as a cultural site: We have basketball, baseball, minor league hockey, the Cleveland Orchestra, rock 'n roll Hall of Fame, science center, plenty of nightlife, and the Cleveland Browns! also, since the passage of our new statutes in Ohio in 2006 we have gone from what used to be the worst practice environment to very much improved. We also have other jobs outside of Cleveland. I am currently the President-elect of the Ohio association of PAs. If you like, you can send me a private message and I will send you my phone number so we can talk. Good luck jobhunting. Don't worry!

WWCS

Wait, you're trying to attract people to Cleveland and you mention the Browns?

agree with Texas being PA friendly. We hire a TON of PA's for both inpatient and clinic positions. I have personal PA friends that have started their own businesses as well - from family practice clinics to medical spa's. Yee-Hawww, Come on down!

thought Texas just got the ability to own practice taken away....

MASS just passed a law that will put it as one of the best states

pay in western mass is not great but not bad 85-120k is the norm

VT seems to have a large need but any jobs I look at pay very little - ie $40/hour

Archived