In PA contracts, how common are financial penalties for leaving before term ends?

I understand why the practice includes this provision, but what I am trying to get a feel for is how common it is and what reasonable penalties are? The place I have an offer from has rather steep penalties (at least to me) for leaving before the contract term is complete. 

• Administrator

The only financial penalties one should ever even CONSIDER agreeing to are partial/proportionate repayment of advance funds.  I have not heard of any such things here in Washington--I doubt they would be enforceable under our employment laws, but I am not a lawyer.

• 3 weeks later...

I was offered, and accepted, partial student loan repayment as part of my three-year contract. It's paid out bit by bit in each paycheck. If I leave before my contract is up I have to repay what they've given me so far.

This has worked out for me because my job is great and I love it. My advice to anyone considering something like this would be to save that money for at least six months so you are secure in your position before spending it. That way if the job turns out to be toxic you can walk without taking a huge financial hit.

I was offered relocation expenses, and if I leave early I will have to pay for a portion of it. I would definitely not accept an offer that would force you to pay part of your salary or any amount of money (except for advances like moving expenses, tuition reimbursement, etc) for leaving before the terms of the contract. I would question as to why the employer would put such steep penalties in their contracts, is it because they can't keep employees due to it being a crappy place to work so they have to make it impossible for people to leave? or are they just greedy a-holes?  

The contract should have separation/termination clauses that say the employer can tell you to leave immediately for impropriety or moral turpitude, idiocy, killing a patient - that sort of thing. But, it should also state that the employee can leave with XX days notice and there should never be a penalty - how else would someone quit??

It isn't logical to think that the contract should end on June 1 - so I have to give 60 days notice on April 1. Life doesn't work that way.

If you are getting tuition support or loan repayment support then, yes, you will likely have a clause that says if you don't serve out your time - you have to pay it all back.

An employer is a business and, therefore, about protecting themselves and maximizing THEIR profits. 

You will find clauses about not stealing employees or using office forms or templates or whatever.

I have given notice and included in my letter that I would be willing to leave earlier at their discretion but full remuneration would be expected for the length of notice given. They paid me the last 2 weeks of 60 freaking days and let me fly early which was a benefit to all involved.

I would not expect to see any contract state the wages would be withheld - that is just wrong.

Archived