PANRE: How many people failed then passed?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am one. I got an extra points and passed easily. I am SOOOOO relieved. I am so happy and yet so pissed that the arrogance of the NCCPA to make us suffer. They send tha form letter stating they stand by thier results and they were scored twice ..... what a crock ..... I still agree there needs to be more transparency.

me and my wife took the test the same day. my wife got a failing grade 2 days later. and i received a passing grade about 2 weeks later with a really high score. now today we find out that my wife passed easily and my grade went down somewhat, but not too much. what a bunch of ****. we bought a house last week and my wife couldn't even be excited because she was sooo stressed out and was losing her mind over the fact that she had to take this test again. i called the nccpa just for an explanation and all they could do was apologize repeatedly and say they hoped we wouldn't lose faith in them. regarding the posting before me, how long of a time period did this cover considering that you actually took the test twice and found out you passed the first time. i actually feel really bad that you had to study for 3 months and take this pointless test AGAIN. the PANRE is such a poor gauge of a PA's competence, considering that a lot of us specialize (including my wife-OB/GYN). now we are both so releived and glad we don't have to worry about this for another 6 years. (maybe 10 years according to the lady at the nccpa. apparently they are voting on this in november). i wonder how many people first found out they passed and now failed. please respond if this happened to you. i'm interested to know.

Well, I started studying originally in March for the test on June 3rd. Took it and "failed". Signed up to take it again in 90 days because I thought since I already studied for 3 months I will just continue. I took it again at the end of Sept and I passed this time. So no worries until I get the email. I logged on and saw that I passed my June test but they deleted my Sept test. I studied for 1/2 a year, paid an extra $800 or so for review classes, books and test banks. I better get my money back. I wish I could get some thing in return for my time, headaches, anxiety and stress!!!!! I'm so furious right now.

I had taken the exam the last week of June. My results were reports as failing with very low scores (in 200s). I was extremely surprised as I have been practicing for 11 years and consider myself pretty knowledgable. Also, I had studied for the exam and didn't actually find the exam extremely challenging so I was very surprised to see my scores. I called NCCPA twice and was told that there was absolutely no error with their system and my grades were checked twice by two different computers. It was quite disheartening as I couldn't figure out what I did wrong. I felt I had studied enough so I had planned on doing something different second time around. I went ahead and registered for the CME resources course; I also just booked my flight and hotel earlier today and then I received the email from NCCPA about scoring error. I am very relieved and feel that this blog likely precipitated inquiries to NCCPA. When I first received my score, I was surprised but didn't feel that anything could be done about it. Then, I found more PAs on this forum who felt the same way about the test and eventually called NCCPA. I am sure several people calling them about the scores probably led to this analysis. Congrats to all who went from failing to passing. I wonder how many PAs were adversely affected by this...such as job or credentialing loss, etc.

FYI: if you spent money on study materials, review courses, books, cd's, online q banks, etc., call the nccpa. they are reimbursing for these expenses as long as you have a receipt.

personally, i don't think that we as a profession should let this go. sure, we're all happy that we passed; but this doesn't change the fact that this fiasco makes the nccpa and the recertification process a bit more invalid. and remember, we'll all be back in the same boat in another 6 or 7 years unless something changes.

the nccpa needs to be forced to answer to US as individuals and to OUR profession as a whole.

i don't know how, but we need to lobby for a change in the organization, and especially a change in this entire examination process. NP's don't recert, CRNA's don't recert. MD's recert, but it's completely voluntary and they certainly don't lose their ability to practice if they choose not to sit for a specialty exam every 10 years.

please don't give me this BS about how we're held to a higher standard than NP's...the fact of the matter is that there is no other profession where you can lose your livelihood and everything you've worked your entire life for if you don't pass an exam.

Yup, add me to the list of the ones to "failed" but actually passed. I am rejoicing and filled with so much contempt at the same time. I actually put off my retake exam til November but have been diligently studying, pulling my hair out at the crack of dawn every morning, every evening and on weekends for the past 3 months and 11 days. I have a 2 yo and a 5 yo that have not seen much of their mommy for those months and if they did I was stressed out and not myself. I sequestered myself because I only had one more chance before I lost certification. The pressure was insurmountable as I am the primary breadwinner (husband's business too new to have an income) and we would have been looking at having to sell our home if I didn't pass again. I do not mean to be so dramatic but because the NCCPA did not give any insight or help, I was full of self-doubt and low self-worth. That cannot be measured in dollars. This may have been forgivable if the NCCPA at least said something like, "we are looking into your concerns, please bear with us". But their blatant disregard and lack of sincerity burns me to the core. They hope that we haven't lost faith in them some one said they wrote?? Are you kidding me???? ** It is time for a change.**

repost from the other thread

hate to say it...... but it has got to be said.....

those that went from a failing to a passing grade should unite and bring a class action suit against NCCPA

This type of error is unacceptable and their feet should be heald firmly against the fire!

Did anyone not pass and have to stop working? if so they should be entitled to lost wages as well as mental suffering.

Everyone that failed and bought more books or took another review course should be reimbursed 100% for these expenses AND nccpa should be made to pay for their mistake..... this is just unimaginable that this would happen - imagine what would happen if this occured with the USMLE! We need to be outragged!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but we as a profession need to SUE THEIR PANTS off and maybe get this whole process relooked at and restructured...... didn't NCCPA jsut release all the speciality exams..... hummmmm

Count me in too! Its a bittersweet, I am so happy I passed but upset that I gave up the last 3 months of my life studying more, taking another review class (800+hotel+ travel+ using PTO time) and giving up time with my 1 year old daughter, friends and family during the summer months. I must have read that email 20 times in pure disbelief! How often does something like this happen? I also heard that if they move the boards to 10 years that we will be responsible for doing a "project" every 2 years... if so, who will be paying for grading this project? Places already like NP's better because they don't have to pay their NP's $350 every 5 years to recert.... and now they won't be responsible for a project!

I am in with any any action against NCCPA. I retook the exam 2 weeks ago and passed. When I log on they deleted my recent test and showed my test in june as passed. I def had mental suffering during the re-studying period. I will never that time back that I lost over the past 3.5 months. I have spent a total of 1/2 a year studying for this stupid thing!

So I'm not alone, I really don't know what to say.....first it has been a long month, I've even considered quitting all together. I have looked into other jobs and have contacted different companies, outside the PA field. I really thought there was a possibility I could loose everything. My wife and I sat down and discussed what we were going to do. I also thought "If I really failed should I be taking care of people." I was second guessing myself everyday at work, not including the 10lbs and the sleep I've lost. I still have $50000 in school loans, how am I going to pay this now? This month I've spent $2500 in classes, plane tickets and hotels for review programs coming up "for my last chance." The airline ticket is nonrefundable as well as the hotel room. I've yet to find out if the class is refundable. I don't have money to give away. I'm so depressed, even now with a passing score, I really can't afford this. I bought a cheap car and currently have my "good" car for sale (if anyone is interested :), to pay for the plane tickets, hotel, ect...We have made a whole life adjustment. NOW, I really wish I never went to PA school to start with. The good... I passed, the NCCPA did admit their mistake, I still have a job, our families will still be taken care of, my confidence is better, I like my cheap car (gets better gas mileage) and I don't have to WORRY about that test for another 6 years. Also the extra studying didn't hurt me, it actually made me better at my job. The NCCPA could have just let us retake the exam and never said anything....It would have been more beneficial for them, no hassle and more money. So for that I'm grateful. I understand people being mad. I'm mad, but I'm working. Bitter Sweet.....But I'm still considering leaving the field for good...........

this is just unimaginable that this would happen - imagine what would happen if this occured with the USMLE! We need to be outragged!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but we as a profession need to SUE THEIR PANTS off and maybe get this whole process relooked at and restructured......

normally i'm not the suing kind, but something really needs to be done. i feel absolutely horrible for all those who had to suffer through this. i say it's perhaps time to bring PA testing back under NBME like it originally was...and trash the NCCPA if they don't issue a formal apology and make things right!

A "formal" apology was issues by NCCPA.

What may have been learned here other than institutions make mistakes; HOW MANY PEOPLE WHO INITIALLY FAILED HAD WAITED UNTIL THE END OF THEIR 6TH YEAR TO INITIATE THE RECERTIFICATION PROCESS?

note to self....

You have no idea what I have had to go through during my "5th year". There was no way I could of taking it. How dare you blame the ones who waited.

My score went from 200 to 328...what the F... how does that happen? I have lost any faith or respect for the NCCPA. They destroyed my confidence in my abilities as a practitioner and put my family and I thru hell for the last 4 months.

To top things off I still need to re-sit for a totally BS test...we need to do away with the NCCPA and log cme's for certification upkeep.

How dare you blame the ones who waited.

How dare I. Really. I LOVE the mob-mentality on display here. In today's society I would just be shocked to see someone stand up and say;

-I knew about the recert process before I even applied to PA school, and applied anyway.

-I waited, and didn't take every opportunity afforded to me to pass the test

-I have no one to blame but myself.

....I have as of yet to meet anyone who has failed a test and said they deserved to fail.

I too waited until my 6th yr in august to take it. believe me I had issues that could match ANYTHING you can come up with. So yes, i can "dare say" anything i'd like.....Had I failed I doubt I'd be blaming the process as much as some on this board. did the process make a mistake? Yes. Did it work itself out? Yes.

Those clamoring for a class action lawsuit should tone it down and recognize that actualy cost reimbursement hasn't been formally declined by NCCPA. Emotional distress/time lost likely will go no where just like an airliner that sits on the Tarmac for too long. NCCPA explained why they had to wait to clarify their mistake.

Two types of people in the world. Those that take responsibility and those that look for others to be the

scapegoats.

A "formal" apology was issues by NCCPA.

What may have been learned here other than institutions make mistakes; HOW MANY PEOPLE WHO INITIALLY FAILED HAD WAITED UNTIL THE END OF THEIR 6TH YEAR TO INITIATE THE RECERTIFICATION PROCESS?

note to self....

this is one of the most ARROGANT things i've read on this forum. WHERE THE HELL DO YOU COME ACROSS CRITICISING PEOPLE FOR WAITING UNTIL THE 6TH YEAR TO RECERT????

seriously?

and i wouldn't exactly say the nccpa issued a "formal" apology. NOT EVEN CLOSE. it was some BS email about "psychometric scoring". HUH??? WTF IS THAT???? maybe since you seem to have all the other answers to this problem, you can explain what that means?

the only reason anyone "deserves to fail" as you put it, is if they didn't study!!! and that doesn't seem to be the case here.

and nobody's looking for a "scapegoat" either. what we're looking for is change in the way this nccpa organization is run and change in the monopoly they have over us and change in the way the cert/recert process is carried out.

if i had to to guess, i'd say you sit on either a state or national PA board; am i correct mr lipper??

and you're on perma-ignore as far as i'm concerned.

please no need to be so formal. we're all friends here, you can refer to me as Mr. Brian Lippman ;)

Oh please "one of the most arrogant" Sorry the truth hurts. 4....... FOUR chances to take a test that has a fail rate of less than 8%....And not realizing that "the process" is set up in your favor in this way.... What adjective should I use to describe these individuals hmm?

And no I don't work for the NCCPA. Again, don't blame others who take a different view than yours as evil/obscure or worthy of disdain. that the NCCPA didn't apologize in a way you deem necessary is irrelevant.

Archived