PANRE: How many people failed then passed?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am on the list. Took the exam 8/2, found out 2 days later that I failed, bought new books and have been studying ever since. I got my form letter yesterday (10/11), stating, oops sorry you passed, please forgive us. Real nice!! At least I didn't already retake the test.

You won't believe what I got in the mail, a check for $350 from NCCPA. It was for the amount I paid to retake my PANRE in 12/11. That was quick. They said two weeks. It state for PANRE FEE and Practice exam fee. Who else got their money? For those who put out more money for courses and extra books, I think you should submit them to NCCPA for reimbursement. The worse that could happen is nothing or they may pay you something. It still doesn't account for the pain we went through.

OMG! This is like finding the lost city or a long lost relative. This my first time on the forum, just registered to find out if other PAs had a similar experience as me? Yup, took the test the second week of June, two days later got the e-mail I was a failure - which carried over into other facets of my life and work - second guessing decisions, self-esteem plummeting, shame and humiliation. How could I know so little after practicing for 12 years? I must be cognitively impaired! After all, when I called to ask for a rescore, J.O. at the nccpa said TWO computer systems confirmed I know little to nothing about medicine (not her quote). I even spent a week in Milwaukee three weeks prior going through the cme resources exam review - I was sure to be in the 97% that pass the exam after attending their program. I really feel it's a good review, so much so that I took the review course again last week in Las Vegas. That is where I first learned there was an unusually high failure rate on the panre after they had changed the test at the beginning of June. I called the nccpa again, with this new information, on 10/5 - the afternoon before the big announcement. The woman I spoke with actually told me about the grading error, that an e-mail was going out the next morning, and oh . . . I passed the exam. Don't let the word out. Sure enough, there was the e-mail the next morning. Yea, wow, but wait . . . Grrrrrrrr. What do you mean you had to "wait until enough exam results were collected . . . Really? You put me and how many other poor souls through four month of personal hell until YOU were satisfied YOU made an error? Well, I don't accept their sincere apology for my inconveniences. The letter isn't even signed! On Monday I told my boss I passed! Unfortunately, when my evaluation was being completed two months ago I had to disclose that I had not passed.<br><br>So yes, count me in sister.  I'm mad as hell and, well, you know the rest.

OK. I'm taking the frigg'n PANRE for the second time (11) years out. It's so fun to wake up every morning and late every night so I can study for 3 months! Anyway, I joined the PA board to check out info about the PANCE (took it 6 years ago and was hard then). WOW, I can't believe all that stuff happened to everybody. As we say in SoCal, that SUCKS! So, I have to take this thing Dec 19th. I'm using the 600 questions from the AAPA APPROVED book and some old packrats (which, when I took the PANCE, was very very similar). I must addmitt, the PANCE was 5 times easier to me than the PANRE was (maybe it was all that ortho)? Anyway, I just alled the NCCPA and they said the first time pass rate is 96% & 379 is the lowest score. What is 379? A C- or D+? I remember feeling like I failed and last 50 questions I almost wanted to walk out,, But got a 440 or 470, can't remember. What do you guys suggest? Is this testing problem done?

Rick

OK. I'm taking the frigg'n PANRE for the second time (11) years out. It's so fun to wake up every morning and late every night so I can study for 3 months! Anyway, I joined the PA board to check out info about the PANCE (took it 6 years ago and was hard then). WOW, I can't believe all that stuff happened to everybody. As we say in SoCal, that SUCKS! So, I have to take this thing Dec 19th. I'm using the 600 questions from the AAPA APPROVED book and some old packrats (which, when I took the PANCE, was very very similar). I must addmitt, the PANCE was 5 times easier to me than the PANRE was (maybe it was all that ortho)? Anyway, I just alled the NCCPA and they said the first time pass rate is 96% & 379 is the lowest score. What is 379? A C- or D+? I remember feeling like I failed and last 50 questions I almost wanted to walk out,, But got a 440 or 470, can't remember. What do you guys suggest? Is this testing problem done? Rick
actually, the lowest score is 200. 379 is the lowest score you need in order to PASS. it doesn't matter if it's and "A", "C-", "D+"; whatever. if you get a 379, you pass. if you get a 378, you fail and sorry, they won't rescore your exam. you'll have to sit for it AGAIN. oh, and pay another $350, thank you very much. they say the problem has been fixed, but who knows? at this point, can anyone really trust them????

• 2 months later...

I was another one that "failed"in September. I have been a practicing PA for over 25 years & work in Primary Care. I have never failed PANRE & have taken it4 times, 2 Pathway II & 2 sit down & test. After I found out I failed, I spent over $2600 for board review couse, air, hotel, took 1 week off work, notified my employer & family/friends. I paid $350 for application to retest in December. After 3 weeks of studying more (1 of those weeks was while I was on vacation...bringing some books & a laptop) Right before the end of my vacation is when I received the email from NCCPA that I passed. Just as others that went through a similar experiece, I was happy & angry at the same time. I called NCCPA and was apologized to & I was persistant that I talk with someone that could answer my question. That took 4 people & being on hold 20 minutes. Finally I spoke with the CEO, Janet Lathrop. She told me to send all my receipts & I got reimburse all but the review course. I could have got a refund from them directly, but decided to pay the $800 & take the time off work to use for CME. If you haven't got reimbursed from NCCPA, I would recommend you do the same.

Archived