Advice for coping with PA school

Im now a week into PA school. Im feeling pretty overwhelmed with the materials being stacked up on each other. My first test is on anatomy and physiology. We have like 300+ pages to read alone for this test, not to mention that we have to be able to know parts of the bones, some diseases, muscles, nerves including cranial, foramens, Brain anatomy, and other stuff I probly can't think of. Any suggestions on how to balance this rigorus workload and still manage to get sleep n keep my sanity?

Personally, I found study groups a total waste of time. They usually turned into gabfests, and really accomplished nothing. Some people were dividing subjects among group members, and that didn't help me either- I need to learn the information, and wasn't comfortable learning someone else's interpretation of the material.

I am not sure how much HCE you had before you went in, but I think you are finding why it is recommended to have some quality background- having practical experience really helps retain information.

I don't mean to be snarky, so I'll give you some of my study tips.

1. Don't focus on grades.

2. Don't worry about bull**** classes, like "Health Policy" or ethics, things like that. Aim to pass these, but when you have so much other stuff to learn, don't fill your head with crap.

3. I found some "mind mapping" techniques helped- get a bunch of colored pens, and sketch out the principles you are reading about.

4. Draw pictures to help remember- make them as crazy as you can- that helps. For example, I drew out a picture of the heart for the heart circulation. Then I put in SA, AV nodes, sites of sympathetic/parasympathetic innervation, different drugs that work on the heart, things like that. Basically, the more you work it in your head, the better it sticks.

Thanks for answering so quickly, and yea I have been doing some of the things mentioned. I feel that study groups aren't for me since I tried that in my pre-reqs with others and it did turn out to be a blabfest. Even during class ppl will be talking near when I try to pay attention, I don't mind if they missed something and need someone to repeat it to them but when they just go on talking and talking, it rly gets annoying. BTW the book I have to read is Clinically Oriented Anatomy if any of you know. I feel like its not a good book since there is too much fluff, did any1 read this book? If you did, any ideas on wut i should focus on??

By Moore? That's the book we used. I opened it a few times when I didn't get something from class lecture, but most of what I found useful was the blue pages - the clinical correlation stuff.

Don't bother with study groups unless they form spontaneously. The ones you set up are doomed to failure, but the ones that coalesce because you're sitting near each other in the library and ask each other questions can produce valuable collaboration.

You will be alright, different methods works for different ppl. I used and still use notecards with key points. The Clinically Oriented Anatomy book really didn't help me, it was too "Wordy." Also study groups can work if utilized efficiently, I used study groups to review & reinforce the material that I have already studied on my own. Study, workout/exercise for release, have faith & trust you will be alright.

Yea i find the blue boxes really help a lot. I'm confident ill pass this test but I also wants to know the material for the long term, not short term because then i'm just wasting my time. What I dislike is that our teacher is brand new, the older one retired and was supposed to be really good at teaching, but this new guy rly just stands there n just babbles without any real organization, he puts the slides up and then just says whats on the figures. he will just point out whats already pointed out, and then sometimes he just babbles bout his own life. I think I heard like 2 long stories today, they kind of relate but not in the sense of the test, especially since he isn't even writing it. This sucks lol...

We used Grant's dissector for our dissection...and mostly Netter's atlas and Gray's, it worked just fine. Personally, i think anatomy is really something that can not be taught, we just gotta spend lots of time memorizing on our own...its not like physiology, where everything is concept based, anatomy is just...straight facts. Good luck with the head and neck module

QUOTE=thinkertdm;309660]Personally, I found study groups a total waste of time. They usually turned into gabfests, and really accomplished nothing. Some people were dividing subjects among group members, and that didn't help me either- I need to learn the information, and wasn't comfortable learning someone else's interpretation of the material.

I second that. I guess it all depends on whether or not you study with like-minded people. For me it seemed like everyone had a different idea of what was and was not important. I preferred to make my own decisions and study my own material, even if it meant having to spend a little more time. At least my time was focused. Oh, and don't forget to SLEEP.

We used Grant's dissector for our dissection...and mostly Netter's atlas and Gray's, it worked just fine. Personally, i think anatomy is really something that can not be taught, we just gotta spend lots of time memorizing on our own...its not like physiology, where everything is concept based, anatomy is just...straight facts. Good luck with the head and neck module

I disagree. I thought the same thing as you before I took anatomy last year and I came out of that class incredibly impressed. Granted, we take our anatomy/cadaver lab through Harvard and our instructor is the greatest teacher I have ever had in my life... Maybe it was her class structure, I don't know, but anatomy can certainly be taught and taught very well.

Whether it's techniques on how to remember all the forearm and hand muscles, brachial plexus, hypogastric plexus (etc), mnemonics, or just being able to answer every question without making the student feel stupid---she completely erased any doubt about anybody teaching anatomy.

Anatomy is a beast, and everyone learns it differently, so it is hard to give advice as to what will work for you. Also, what is your class like? Do you have full dissecting cadaver lab?

I just finished my first quarter where we had anatomy, full dissection and everything in 10 weeks (along with 3 other hard classes and 2 easier classes). I truthfully struggled hard the first couple of weeks (even failed my first test) until I got the hang if the amt of info and the pace and then finished with a decent grade. So believe me, it's not the end of the world if you struggle at first, but you just have to figure out what works for you pretty fast.

In anatomy, drawing out things definitely helped from the brachial plexus to artery branches to even autonomic nerve pathways using words and arrows. Also it was a lot of rote memorization when it came to lecture notes. I spent a lot of time with my Netters. And, groups and partners for extra study time in lab (which I spent ALOT of time in) was necessary to quiz each other.

As for the balance with other classes...I feel like I am still learning that one. Definitely best to review things daily as possible and keep on top of things. I am hoping to do that a bit more this next quarter. Good luck!

I know it's overwhelming now but you will get into the swing of things. I'm attending the AZ version of Bellajoy's program so our schedule was very similar... full cadaver dissection crammed into 10 weeks, with other awful things like biochem on the side. I happened to find my strength in anatomy and struggled in the other subject, whereas friends were the exact opposite. Sometimes if you find someone in your class who can work on your weaknesses while you teach them your strengths, that can be incredibly helpful. I rarely did full group study sessions but 2 or 3 of us at a time would gather and we could stay productive for hours.

Just remember that anatomy is a very visual course. If you're not a visual learner, you basically have to try your best to become one ASAP. Draw nerve and artery pathways over and over again in notebooks; print out blank images of bones in the arms and legs and use colored pencils to mark origins and insertions for muscles. Make an origin/insertion/innervation/action table for each unit and group muscles by similar characteristics.

It's all too easy to focus on one subject at a time because an exam happens to be coming up, but if you ignore any other course for too long you'll just be playing catch-up all quarter. Do your best to study in 15 or 30 or 60 minute slots (whatever works best for you) and revisit other material so that it's not all brand new after the anatomy exam and you finally "dedicate" yourself to looking at it again.

And of course don't be afraid to rant with your classmates! Nobody knows what you're going through better than they do... :)

BTW the book I have to read is Clinically Oriented Anatomy if any of you know. I feel like its not a good book since there is too much fluff, did any1 read this book? If you did, any ideas on wut i should focus on??

I found that book not so great for study in PA school, altho I have found it indispensable for reference in actual practice. Some things it does lay out nicely, but a lot of the 'extras' can get in the way of what you need to concentrate on at this point. I used multiple sources in PA school, but ultimately concentrated on the powerpoints our instructor used ... pay close attention to the areas/points they stress and repeat.

As for the rest, stay focused is the best advice I can give ... live and breathe the material. Use those weekend hours wisely! I would meet with my study partner at 8am on Saturday in the library, and we'd go all day as far as we could. Then we'd study separately on Sunday. It worked well for us, but you do have to do what works best for you.

I used a series of books "...made ridiculously simple" i checked amazon just now and found...

519E70JK05L._AA160_.jpg

Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple (MedMaster

Series, 2004 Edition) (Medmaster Ridiculously Simple) by

Stephen Goldberg

new from $12.00 23

used from $2.88

the fun thing about these series is they already have drawn cartoon mnemonics and they are $$$ reasonable. the beginning is hard for everyone usually, but it gets better. still, completing PA program is like getting a drink from a fire hose! there are teachers and good teachers, be compassionate. hang in there. If I could do it at 57 y.o., so can you.

[/url]

(11

customer reviews)

See

newer edition of this book

Take a breath, trust in the system. Many other people have graduated PA school after going through similar difficult study times. You took A&P during pre reqs, right? You scored high enough to get into PA school. The AdCom must have seen the potential in you to succeed and now you just have to apply the faith that they have in you.

You have a lot riding on school, but it is not the end of the world. If you have to take a break from school for a year, do it on good standings and see about getting a guaranteed chair in the following year's class.

Be diligent but take breaks. The adult learner is pretty good about getting around 10 minutes of new information into their brain per hour. Ten minutes of reading new information, then 30 minutes of re reading what you just read, breaking that info down into notes/outines, 10 minutes of review of what you just made, then a 10 minute break. Works for me.

I used a series of books "...made ridiculously simple" i checked amazon just now and found...

519E70JK05L._AA160_.jpg

Clinical Anatomy Made Ridiculously Simple (MedMaster

Series, 2004 Edition) (Medmaster Ridiculously Simple) by

Stephen Goldberg

new from $12.00 23

used from $2.88

the fun thing about these series is they already have drawn cartoon mnemonics and they are $$$ reasonable. the beginning is hard for everyone usually, but it gets better. still, completing PA program is like getting a drink from a fire hose! there are teachers and good teachers, be compassionate. hang in there. If I could do it at 57 y.o., so can you.

(11

customer reviews)

See

newer edition of this book

agree, this book is great. so is the one for pharmacology and the one for neuroanatomy.

anything to make studying easier is worth doing. for rotations there is a series of books called the secrets series. I bought one for each rotation; surgical secrets, emergency med secrets , ob secrets, primary care secrets, etc

agree, this book is great. so is the one for pharmacology and the one for neuroanatomy.

anything to make studying easier is worth doing. for rotations there is a series of books called the secrets series. I bought one for each rotation; surgical secrets, emergency med secrets , ob secrets, primary care secrets, etc

Yep.....my books were the ridicoulsly simple for pharm and micro, and Recall for surgery and IM. (Recall is not a good primary book, but good for pimping and starting discussion w/ classmates).

Hey! We finished anatomy in July and we also used the Moore book...I have tons of study guides, origin/insertion/action/innervation charts, blue box summaries, etc Give me your email (via private message) and I can send some to you!

As for study tips, our prof said - DO NOT MAKE FLASH CARDS...they will take way to long to make and you won't be able to study them. The Netter's flash cards are nice, I used those a lot for studying for lab. Do you have a lab practical? The Rohen book is great for studying that.

As for me, my study technique was to analyze things and pay attention to what was important/stressed during lecture. I learned how to pick up on what origins/instertions they would ask by figuring out muscles that had O/I in common and muscles that had unique O/I and knowing tricky ones like which one attached to the greater vs. lesser trochanter. Mnemonics are also great - I have lists of some of my favorites I can email you as well.

Another girl in our class straight out aced every exam by looking at powerpoints over and over and over...not my thing but it worked for her. Anatomy is rough and if it ends up being your worst class - you need to pour all of your energy into that one and worry less about the others. Another piece of advice: time management is key. Make a study schedule or a list of things your specifically want to study/get done each night. It really helped my roommate and I stay on task with our studies.

Good luck!

Archived