Am I on the right track? Suggestions?

Hi everyone,

This is my first time in the forums. I would really like to gain a feeling if I am on the right track towards applying for my top choice PA programs. I am currently a senior and I plan on taking a gap year to hopefully gain more HCE and shadowing opportunities. I will have 1000 hrs working as a CNA by the time I graduate, but I still want to take a gap year to mature myself in the healthcare field. I plan on taking the GRE most likely after graduating. I want to give myself a lot of time to prepare for it and to hopefully take it once with a stellar score. Below are some information I anticipate including in my applications by time I apply. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions in how to strengthen myself as an applicant. 

Undergraduate Institution: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
B.S. Biology and Minor in Chemistry

cGPA: 3.66

sGPA: 3.56 

Most recent 60 credit hours cGPA: 3.97 (anticipated; I had a huge jump in GPA during my last two years of college) 

GRE: Not completed (but hopefully I'll earn a high score with a lot of preparation)

Healthcare Experience:
~2800 hrs as a CNA (anticipated by the time I apply)

Shadowing: I plan to do about 50 hrs (suggestions?)

Research Experience: 2.5 yrs of research working with plants and their interactions with various soil microbes (Not sure if this really helps)

Volunteer Experience:
200 hours Hospital volunteer at high school (not sure to whether I should include this??)
200 hours Hospital volunteer during college
500 hours volunteering at a soup kitchen (anticipated by the time I apply)
various one-time commitment volunteer opportunities that organizations I am affiliated with have done together

Common Prerequisite Course Grades:
Gen Chem I: A
Gen CHem II: B- (lab: B+)
Orgo 1: B+
Orgo 2: B (lab: A)
Biochemistry (with lab): A
Microbiology (with lab): A-
Anatomy and Physiology I (with lab): A

Anatomy and Physiology II (with lab): A
Statistics: A

General Psychology: A
Genetics: C (Taken freshmen year. I've taken a higher level genetics course and got an A on it. I'm not sure how much that would help)
Medical Terminology: A (Anticipated)

Programs I plan on applying to:
Duke

Yale

Cornell

UNC
Campbell
Wake Forest
UC Davis
Boston University
Tufts

I know I included a good number of top programs, but I still want to try and work hard to see if I can make it. I will probably add a few more that are closer to my reach. 

Everything looks good imo. 

Taking a gap year will only make you competitive.

Is there anything that I can do additionally to make myself more competitive? Should I volunteer in more areas, broaden my HCE and work as a phlebotomist (there are a few jobs where I am located where they do not require a certification)? I am also thinking about taking some online courses after graduation at a CC (about 1-2 every semester). I want to keep my studying skills sharp when I enter the program without having to spend the extra money taking it in a university. Also, I do not see any problems of additional A's assuming I do well in them. 

Your sGPA is already impressive and since you already received your BS....completing 1-2 additional classes will only raise it by 0.01 if that...

Phlebotomy is an important skill to have but that will not broaden your HCE. If you want diverse HCE, try working on multiple floors as a CNA &/or become a MA/EMT/ER Tech/Anesthesiology Tech.

Based on what I have observed based on other's experiences, no matter what you do, you cannot prepare yourself for the rigors of PA school.  Having well defined study habits should lessen the hellish brutal nature of the curriculum though. 

That said, take my suggestions for what it's worth...I'm not a PA nor a PA-S...just an aspiring applicant.

Your sGPA is already impressive and since you already received your BS....completing 1-2 additional classes will only raise it by 0.01 if that...

Phlebotomy is an important skill to have but that will not broaden your HCE. If you want diverse HCE, try working on multiple floors as a CNA &/or become a MA/EMT/ER Tech/Anesthesiology Tech.

Based on what I have observed based on other's experiences, no matter what you do, you cannot prepare yourself for the rigors of PA school.  Having well defined study habits should lessen the hellish brutal nature of the curriculum though. 

That said, take my suggestions for what it's worth...I'm not a PA nor a PA-S...just an aspiring applicant.

I work in the float pool of a hospital so I am getting the experience working in a variety of units. I really enjoy the exposure in witnessing doctors, physician assistants, and other healthcare professionals care and treat their patients. Furthermore, I enjoy the exposure of the different types of patients whether that be in the neurology, general medicine, GI, or surgery unit. I guess where I am now is a great place as I can experience a variety of settings. 

I would say that several of those schools are realistic.  Adding schools will just increase your odds and there's nothing wrong with that.  Sometimes it is just a numbers game.

I agree in that it can sometimes be a numbers game. For some of them, I am a little below average in GPA. For example, I believe the average cGPA at Duke is 3.7. I think I'll include more schools where I am somewhere above the average just to be safe. 

Does anyone know if I should mention my volunteer experience at the hospital during high school? Furthermore, is it beneficial to have some research experience. I guess it would help for programs from research universities, but I am not sure to how much of an extent. 

Personally I wouldn't include the high school hours.  Some schools will accept research experience as 'other health care experience' but unless it's a program that requires you to do a final project/masters thesis, most won't care either way.  Research isn't something schools actually LOOK for.  Definitely put it in your app, but don't expect it to be a big deciding factor.

Archived