Overall PA school acceptance rate

I'm just curious if anyone knows the overall acceptance rate for PA school.

Specifically:

# of applicants who get at least one acceptance / # of applicants who apply to at least one PA school.

I tried but couldn't find this info on the PAEA website.

I know I've read that for medical school the rate is around 40%. Just curious how PA school compares.

Depends on the schools of course....as others have said, 2-5% has appeared to be the norm in the schools I have looked at.  Here's the break down for some of the schools in the southwest region of the United States.

Western University 

Applied - 2,347

Admitted - 98

Rate - 4%

Arizona School of Health Sciences

Applied - 2,500

Admitted - 70

Rate - 3%

Touro Nevada

Applied - 1,100

Admitted - 60

Rate - 5%

Midwestern University - Glendale, AZ

Applied - 2,125

Admitted - 90

Rate - 4%

Northern Arizona University

Applied - 1,000

Admitted - 50

Rate - 5%

Samuel Merritt University 

Applied - 1,539

Admitted - 40

Rate - 3%

Loma Linda University

Applied - 1,202

Admitted - 34

Rate - 3%

This information is listed on a lot of the program's websites.  Also, medical school is not 40% acceptance.  Medical school acceptance rates are in the single digits for majority of schools as well.  Here is Western University's acceptance for their Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine:

Western University Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine

Applied - 5,558

Admitted - 220

Rate - 4%

Depends on the schools of course....as others have said, 2-5% has appeared to be the norm in the schools I have looked at.  Here's the break down for some of the schools in the southwest region of the United States.

Western University 

Applied - 2,347

Admitted - 98

Rate - 4%

Arizona School of Health Sciences

Applied - 2,500

Admitted - 70

Rate - 3%

Touro Nevada

Applied - 1,100

Admitted - 60

Rate - 5%

Midwestern University - Glendale, AZ

Applied - 2,125

Admitted - 90

Rate - 4%

Northern Arizona University

Applied - 1,000

Admitted - 50

Rate - 5%

Samuel Merritt University 

Applied - 1,539

Admitted - 40

Rate - 3%

Loma Linda University

Applied - 1,202

Admitted - 34

Rate - 3%

This is all public information and is listed on majority of the program's websites, you need to do further research.  Also, medical school is not 40% acceptance.  Medical school acceptance rates are in the single digits for majority of schools as well.  Here is Western University's acceptance for their Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine:

Applied - 5,558

Admitted - 220

Rate - 4%

I think OP means that acceptance rate for applicants is 40%, not per school.  Most people apply to multiple schools so it makes sense that each school has a low acceptance rate, but overall for those that apply 40% get in somewhere.  For PA school, that number is about 25%.

I think OP means that acceptance rate for applicants is 40%, not per school.  Most people apply to multiple schools so it makes sense that each school has a low acceptance rate, but overall for those that apply 40% get in somewhere.  For PA school, that number is about 25%.

Oh okay, I see what you mean, my apologies for misunderstanding.  I read his question as number applied to a program as compared to the number of those who got accepted, per program, not as a whole.  One of the books I had purchased regarding the admissions process had this figure.  Not sure where the author got it from, but I'll look when I get home.  

So the latest figures I can find for medical school--allopathic  (2014) is 32.3%  (AAMC) 

PA schools 27.35% (PAEA)  (2014)

Osteopathic:  37%  (data from 2013)  AACOMAS

And the GPAs/science gpas are not far apart at all.........of course the pre-reqs are different, but who can say harder or easier and ours are so variable.  We also use different (or no) standardized tests and not the MCAT so that is hard to compare.    The MCAT is very preppable, though.  

But anecdotally I counseled a PA applicant this past year who had an excellent academic record, non-shabby health care experience and a BS from a Big 10 school that has both an osteopathic and allopathic medical school.  She had applied the year prior to 13 schools, got one interview, and no acceptances.   She said that word on the street from pre-meds at her university (huge pool) was that it was harder to get into PA than DO for their grads with similar records.   DO applicants could apply to more schools because their pre-reqs were standardized pretty much across the country.  PA applicants were constrained about where they could apply because to apply widely meant spending more years in school gathering esoteric pre-reqs and also more time gathering HCE that was considered valid. 

Archived