Just wondering if anyone has seen a really well written "seen with doctor" or "reviewed with doctor" phrase. For instance, when I am finishing a chart and I write something to the effect of "discussed with Doctor so and so who agrees with care plan", I question if there is more I can write to cover myself medically/legally.

Any and all thoughts welcome. 

I don't write anything because those statements are worthless.

If you screw up and misdiagnose a heart attack, is the state medical board or the plaintiff attorney going to absolve you because you wrote "physician agrees with diagnosis and plan" in chart?  Of course not.  You are screwed whether you put that in or not.

Just wondering if anyone has seen a really well written "seen with doctor" or "reviewed with doctor" phrase. For instance, when I am finishing a chart and I write something to the effect of "discussed with Doctor so and so who agrees with care plan", I question if there is more I can write to cover myself medically/legally.

Any and all thoughts welcome. 

I write "Case and plan reviewed with Dr. X."

I don't write anything because those statements are worthless.

If you screw up and misdiagnose a heart attack, is the state medical board or the plaintiff attorney going to absolve you because you wrote "physician agrees with diagnosis and plan" in chart?  Of course not.  You are screwed whether you put that in or not.

I'd like to hear more opinions on this, as it doesn't make much sense to me.  What is the point of having an SP if his/her review of a case means nothing from a legal perspective?

I'd like to hear more opinions on this, as it doesn't make much sense to me.  What is the point of having an SP if his/her review of a case means nothing from a legal perspective?

it lets the docs feel like they have some control so that we don't go and open offices that compete with them like, well, you know....them, the NPs....:)

Well, and they should have control over those that are ONLY assistants. BTW, I now have a full 6 mos. under my belt as an NP, so I'm thinking of filling in my afternoon appointments with in-office RFA's, facial reconstructive plastics, the occasional kidney transplant, and maybe some chemotherapy for stage IV ovarian cancers, with maybe some gene therapy experiments as time allows. I mean, our procedure room sits idle most of the time - why not use it? If the docs I work with object, I'll definitely open my own clinic so I can do these things. "Assistants" should not be allowed to do such things. But an NP? Duh.

I suppose someone could say such things are outside my scope. But, I AM AN FNP for crying out loud. Is there really anything I CAN'T do, especially if I had a DNP??? :)

Well, and they should have control over those that are ONLY assistants. BTW, I now have a full 6 mos. under my belt as an NP, so I'm thinking of filling in my afternoon appointments with in-office RFA's, facial reconstructive plastics, the occasional kidney transplant, and maybe some chemotherapy for stage IV ovarian cancers, with maybe some gene therapy experiments as time allows. I mean, our procedure room sits idle most of the time - why not use it? If the docs I work with object, I'll definitely open my own clinic so I can do these things. "Assistants" should not be allowed to do such things. But an NP? Duh.

I suppose someone could say such things are outside my scope. But, I AM AN FNP for crying out loud. Is there really anything I CAN'T do, especially if I had a DNP??? :)

exactly DR Upregulated!

Dr2BE

Archived