If we had to do it over (older folks only)...

I think it was harder to get into PA school in the old days.  I started PA school in 1984 with all my pre-reqs, all my undergrad (good GPA, too) and several years of true health care experience and still it was hard to get accepted.  Nowadays, many students have little to no HCE.  It takes many years to get true, good HCE.

If we had to do it over today (from 70's through mid-80's at latest), would we still get accepted to PA school assuming all prior coursework and experiences were the same?  Heck, for some, would we even get an interview?  I'd have to go back and take prereqs just to be able to apply!

I think about that almost every admission cycle where I have participated. I would like to think I would. Still, I have to admit that since I am the exact opposite of the majority of matriculates today I doubt it.

I think about that almost every admission cycle where I have participated. I would like to think I would. Still, I have to admit that since I am the exact opposite of the majority of matriculates today I doubt it.

wait, you're not  beautiful 22 yr old woman with a 4.0 gpa and a biochem major with 200 hrs of cna experience?....:)

next year will mark the first time I will be able to tell new attending physicians that I was working in health care the day they were born...

Always practice saying this with your "inside voice". "I really can't believe you are that (descriptive term of your choice goes here)." Occasionally it may slip out in the conversation, but say it in a supportive and nurturing way and they will chalk it up to you being an crusty old timer.

"BACK IN MY DAY....pance was a week long exam, with practicals! and all of these new fangled toys like pulse oximeters and end tidal co2 monitors didn't exist yet....all those clear plastic and latex toys used in medicine were made of real red rubber back then and I used a hemoglobinometer and schiotz tonometer with the little weights....."

LOL...and I'm not even 50 yet...

"BACK IN MY DAY....pance was a week long exam, with practicals! and all of these new fangled toys like pulse oximeters and end tidal co2 monitors didn't exist yet....all those clear plastic and latex toys used in medicine were made of real red rubber back then and I used a hemoglobinometer and schiotz tonometer with the little weights....."

LOL...and I'm not even 50 yet...

I get blank looks from most of my classmates when I [with a laugh] mention mixing chemicals for processing radiographs ... I suspect they think I'm making it up!  Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe I'll take an old mercury thermometer to school with me for 'show and tell'.  

[sorry - I'm a current student - but I'm enjoying this thread!]

I get blank looks from most of my classmates when I [with a laugh] mention mixing chemicals for processing radiographs ... I suspect they think I'm making it up!  Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe I'll take an old mercury thermometer to school with me for 'show and tell'.  

Young blood I have pipetted by mouth....

I get blank looks from most of my classmates when I [with a laugh] mention mixing chemicals for processing radiographs ... I suspect they think I'm making it up! Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe I'll take an old mercury thermometer to school with me for 'show and tell'.

Ahh, reminds me of "chest hickey's" from EKG's.

Get this E: just got a form letter sent to me and all the docs in town (I think ) about the long-awaited new PA program at Francis Marion in SC. Beautifully done glossy pamphlet and well-crafted letter to solicit preceptors, lecturers etc. A brief overview of the program lists their matriculation requirements including 4 hr of organic chemistry :wacko:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Get this E: just got a form letter sent to me and all the docs in town (I think ) about the long-awaited new PA program at Francis Marion in SC. Beautifully done glossy pamphlet and well-crafted letter to solicit preceptors, lecturers etc. A brief overview of the program lists their matriculation requirements including 4 hr of organic chemistry :wacko:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Dr. Davenport's new program is also in that part of the world at North Greenville.

• 8 months later...

If we had to do it over today (from 70's through mid-80's at latest), would we still get accepted to PA school assuming all prior coursework and experiences were the same?  Heck, for some, would we even get an interview?  I'd have to go back and take prereqs just to be able to apply!

I wasn't even alive during the specified time period LOL

Archived