Age of retirement for P.A's

Gov policies (is there a manditory retirement age for PA's generally?) other reasons perhaps cultural pressures, perceptions attitudes of supervisors.

Are there any PAs working in 60's , 70's older? Age is just a number to me, a state of mind. I appreciate physical aspects but fitness, nutrition, yoga and meditation really are effective lots of fit 70year olds out there. However ageism does exist

Cool! The other worry is having an MD supervisor who is a third of my age lol. The thought of having a supervisor in his 20's when I'm in my 60's. Does that happen?

Are there professional occupations out there where this does NOT happen? Assuming of course there is a "chain of command" where you have supervisory roles, I haven't seen a system where supervisors were promoted based on their age. In a converse manner...imagine being a 50 year old PA who has been working in medicine for over 20 years....A person goes through med school late in life, gets hired, becomes the SP for that PA...the SP may be older, but has far less clinical experience. Age doesn't always equate to skill set/knowledge/people skills.

FYI, mettalbie...it's not PA's (possessive); we don't "belong" to anyone -- it's "PAs" (plural). some are more sensitive to that punctuation error than others but who cares its only a label.

You spelled my tag incorrectly lol! People make mistakes we are human. I can't tell you how many times "psychologist" is spelled incorrectly.The essence of the role we do, helping people and the great contribution we make to society can sometimes lie in the shadows of our perceptions of labels around which we form indentities. This is not intended to take anything away from the identity of health professionals or the important work which they undertake to lobby for progress in their area

I am 58 and retiring at the end of May after almost 25 years. I have often had younger supervisors, since I didn't start practicing until I was 33. If you find someone with your work ethic and a similar approach to medical care, with some smarts and a bit of experience, their age doesn't really matter....BTW, this was a second career for me and I have never regretted it. I'm hoping to still do some volunteer/locum tenens/mission work or something....It's too much fun to give it up altogether....but it sure will be nice to get started on the next phase, eh?

Archived