I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

Merseur, I think that you are thinking of B anthracis. At least that is the one we were presented with as being associated with wool.

Good call, neuro!

"ulceroglandular tularemia - treat with streptomycin. 2nd line are chloramphenicol & tetracycline [higher rate of relapse]."

But don't feel bad mersuer - we had ID last semester, and I still had to look up both wool and rabbit. Ugh - I feel so lost! {not giving up, though :o }

Thanks for firing this thread back up Angel....

You have an older male patient who comes in to see you c/o acute urinary retention. You start thinking of all the important questions to ask based on your differentials.

Why is the "recent illness" question important to ask in this case?

:) M

Hmmm... for a runny nose, one may take Benadryl, an antihistamine with anticholinergic properties - which can lead to urinary retention in the elderly, especially in older male.

:D Ding..Ding.. Ding! You are correct!

He may have taken an OTC anticholinergic med(s) & that could easily cause the urinary retention.

As far as the best antihistamine...good question maybe one of the vets will let us know.

M

:D

As far as the best antihistamine...good question maybe one of the vets will let us know.

M

When I was looking up an answer, I read that loratidine (a 2nd generation antihistamine) lacks anticholinergic properties and thus was better for the older population - but the next sentence said that since it lacked anticholinergic properties, it also lacked effectiveness at treating histamine-related sxs???

Thanks for firing this thread back up Angel....

You have an older male patient who comes in to see you c/o acute urinary retention. You start thinking of all the important questions to ask based on your differentials.

Why is the "recent illness" question important to ask in this case?

:) M

oh cool I'm new to the forum (joined today), can I take a guess?

you wanna ask him for hx of URI specifically Strep infection, you wanna r/o PSGN specially if pt has s/s of oiliguria <500cc of UO.

• 3 weeks later...

Aw, Marlene, don't let it scare you! The purpose of this thread, at least as I see it, isn't to show off knowledge and look down on those who don't have it yet. Instead, it is an opportunity to learn! And that should fit in nicely with your admirable attitude towards continuing to learn throughout your career ;)

Why don't you share a few questions that you've been asked on rotations?

Studying for midterms, one comes to mind...

A man goes out for a few beers after work. He ends up not eating dinner and has more than a few beers, but makes it home safely to sleep it off. The next morning at work his coworkers notice that he is pale, sweaty and shaky. Soon, he passes out.

1. If this man were brought to your ED and you could only order one test, what would it be?

2. What would you expect to find?

3. What is the pathology of this man's condition? Prognosis?

Case:

A 22 yo f presents to your clinic, CC intermittent fever as high as 101, with chills, Symptoms occured on alternating days X7 days, begining in the early afternoon and lasting several hours. A day after her symptoms developed she began to feel pain in her L side, and 2 days later developed dysuria, no urgency/frequency. Pt stated she did return from India a few months ago.

Vitals

temp 97F

HR 80 BPM

BP 110/65

Remarkable physical findings- abdomen- spleen tip could be felt 3 cm below l costal margin at end of inspiration

Labs

HB 10.9 mg/dL

WBC 5200

platelets 103000

blood smear reveals P. Vivax

What is the dx?

What is the tx?

Pseudomonas aeruginosa

oral ciprofloxacin

Ask when patient had last tetanus injection - give injection if > 5 yrs.

REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN'T GIVE QUINOLONES TO FOLKS UNDER 18, THEY INTERFERE WITH DEVELOPING GROWTH PLATES. USE A 3RD GENERATION CEPHALOSPORIN INSTEAD IN THESE FOLKS( LIKE VANTIN).

also a small punch biopsy( 2mm) of the apparent track of the nail (after anesthesia) may help removed a retained fb(shoe piece) and speed healing.

Thanks, E! It's great to know that some practicing PAs are monitoring our fun here, keeping us fledglings straight :p

"The EMedHome Question of the Day is:

Appendicitis is the most common surgical emergency in pregnancy and the presentation of these patients may not be classic. What is the misdiagnosis rate in pregnancy? What is the most common condition that is confused with appendicitis?"