I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

We heard a great CME today on missed MI by Dr Amal Mattu (who is THE MAN in cardio, I hear!) We learned something really interesting...

There is an autoimmune dz that causes accelerated atherosclerosis that can lead to MI at a very young age. This disease most commonly affects women of child-bearing age, but can be seen post-menopausal and in men as well. Common s/s include fatigue, wt loss, arthralgia, nausea, anorexia, wt loss, rash, and oral/nasal/vaginal mucosal ulcers. Many organ systems are affected by this disorder, including the CNS - CNS pathology can range from mild cognitive dysfunction to headache to seizures.

What is this disease that predisposes pts to premature MI?

That would be it!

From PostGradMed.com ,

"Cardiovascular disease is a frequent complication of SLE and may involve all cardiac structures, including the pericardium, valves, myocardium, and coronary arteries... Coronary artery disease is an important source of morbidity, and myocardial infarction is 50 times more common in women with SLE than in age-matched controls (11). Thus, screening for associated cardiac risk factors such as hypertension and hyperlipidemia is mandatory."

This thread has been around for quite a while and is most interesting, indeed.

However, I love the old time docs who say pimping is not the way to learn.

Would you hand someone a beaker of 12 molar fuming hydrochloric acid and say, "figure it out!"

I think not. You would warn the person that it needs to be handled in gloves under a lab hood. It eats bones! One does not ask, "So, tell me if this would eat your bones and get back to me, tomorrow?"

One tells (teaches), "Danger, handle this with excessive care."

Likewise, pimping is not the way I feel that people ought to learn.

A man who is a professor at my school and has been an OB-Gyn doc for over 40 years told me pimping is unfair. He said, "The way to teach is to explain, not ask questions that you especially know the person cannot answer and embarrass people."

Pimping is abusive and I do believe will eventually go the way of political correctness.

Just my 2 cents. :D

Guest pac4hire

Pimping is not a way of teaching persay, it is a way of figuring out what you do know about a given subject, thereby also learning what you don't know. Once an individual learns what they don't know they can then find the resources to further their fund of knowledge. Pimping questions often have lead ins to give clues to the correct answer. there is constructive pimping and abusive pimping, these are two different things.

i would also think that if a doc embarassed you while pimping you on a subject, you would a) go bone up on that topic and b) remember the experience (and the answer) very well. i'm not in second year yet, so my only experience with pimping was while shadowing. i still remember what was asked and the answers. we covered those topics in class, but i retained them better from the pimping experience. so, i agree with svalente, constructive pimping is a good thing.

To avoid getting too off topic, here's a constructive pimp question for you all...

What is the most common cause of hypercalcemia?

What is a reason that you shouldn't miss?

What are the symptoms of hypercalcemia?

(these are questions that I got asked today in clinic)

pahopeful

Guest Buttons

common cause:

Hyperparathyroidism and malignancy

but it can be kidney stones?

the reason that you should not miss?

Cardiac effects are reflected mostly in short QT intervals, which may increase sensitivity to digitalis. You can see the calcium deposits in heart valves, myocardium, or coronary arteries.

Symptoms of Hypercalcemia?

Fatigue, Musculoskeletal Weakness, and Pain

I hope this is correct.....

Buttons

Good job everyone!

Primary hyperparathyroidism and malignancy account for 90% of cases of hypercalcemia

malignancy is the cause you don't want to miss...b/c it's deadly!

(good job on thinking of other things that you don't want to miss with hypercalcemia though)

Symptoms include:

constipation, polyuria, ventricular extrasystoles, idioventricular rhythms

Severe hypercalcemia symptoms can include:

stupor, coma, azotemia

• 5 weeks later...

All right people...this thread's been inactive for almost a month now...anyone up for some pimping??

S:

**CC-15 y/o female presents for "lump on my leg and in my vagina".

**HPI-Pt states that she had this unilateral lump in the right "crease" of her leg for 3-4 days that was painful and made walking uncomfortable. Pt says that lump resolved spontaneously but then 2-3 days later, lumps appeared in her vaginal area. These are also uncomfortable and are what prompted her to come to the clinic today. Pt denies fever, chills, n/v/d, HA, menstrual irregularities.

**PMH-non-contributory except for a "yeast infection" last week that the pt treated with OTC anti-fungal. Pt had yellow vaginal d/c at that time that she's not sure it subsided b/c she started her period today. Pt denies vulvar/vaginal itching and irritation.

**Sexual hx-Pt states she is monogomous and has been sexually active for 1 yr with her boyfriend. Pt has no hx of STDs.

O:

Vitals-all WNL

PE normal except for GU which shows 2 masses that are firm, moveable and slightly tender under the vaginal skin at 4 and 7 o'clock. Mucosa is mildly erythematous, no discharge noted. Pt has tampon inserted 2nd to menstrual flow.

Ok everybody...

1. What is the diagnosis?

2. What is the most common bugs that cause this?

3. What's your tx of choice?

4. What else do you want to do with this pt?

If anybody needs more info, let me know...

pahopeful

Bartholin duct cyst/obstruction/abscess cause staphylocci or streptocci

Tx: remove the obstruction-catheter or marsupilation and abx, screen for std (syphillis, G and C, hiv, hep b, hep c), pap smear.

Good Job Merseur...you're right on the dx of the vaginal lumps...but what is that additional "bump" in the crease of her leg?

Anybody want to get more specific as to the bug and what type/amt of abx you want to use??

what kind of education do you want to give this pt?

"what kind of education do you want to give this pt?"

NO GLOVE, NO LOVE.....

Exactly!! :D

Come on people...surely there's someone else out there that wants a shot at this case! And if not, somebody want to post something?? I'm curious to hear what you all are seeing out in clinic.

pahopeful

Guest Fond of Cabbage

Did a case the other day, ex. lap and repositioning of VP shunt. pt was very edematous in the hands, arms, legs. taking the dressing off her recent incision for placing a new shunt to the abdomen, there was a pus and some fluid leaking out of the wound. We go into the abdomen and can't find a damn thing in there, not even the shunt. She has a bunch of adhesions, but when you have 8 laparotomy scars on your belly, that shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

so we take off the staples to the recent incision and look inside....low and behold, there is the shunt. the neurosurgeon put the shunt into the abdomen, but it must've come back out, because it was stuck in the subq. the fluid leaking out was csf. i forget what her icp was.

Guest Fond of Cabbage

i forgot to put a pimp question.

when placing a greenfield, trapease, or other such IVC filter, why is it important to have a quarter under the patient just lateral to the vertebral column?

btw, i'm going away for the weekend, so i'll be able to comment on sun.

Guest scott

Well, I'm stumped too, but also appreciate the question. I imagine it must be some sort of positional reference marker for X-rays during the case, am I even barking up the right tree?