Applying for a PA job with a an MD degree?

Hello everyone,

I am a 4th year medical student from ROSS who is about to graduate in June 2011. Does anyone know if it is possible to apply for a PA job in the U.S. with an MD degree? :wink: And no, I do not have a PA degree.

The reason for asking is because I might not start MD residency right away this year. I figured that if I work as a PA at a community hospital, I can still retain some clinical skills necessary for residency.

Thanks in advance,

Cardiazem

Hello everyone,

I am a 4th year medical student from ROSS who is about to graduate in June 2011. Does anyone know if it is possible to apply for a PA job in the U.S. with an MD degree? :wink: And no, I do not have a PA degree.

The reason for asking is because I might not start MD residency right away this year. I figured that if I work as a PA at a community hospital, I can still retain some clinical skills necessary for residency.

Thanks in advance,

Cardiazem

To put it in perspective, what you are really asking, is it OK to practice unlicensed medicine in the United States? Does that make it easier to figure out?

To put it in perspective, what you are really asking, is it OK to practice unlicensed medicine in the United States? Does that make it easier to figure out?

I understand where you're coming from.

Well, I'm surprised that the MD degree does not permit one to practice as a PA. So, I need a separate PA license to practice as a PA?

Why is MD degree + practicing as a PA = "unlicensed medicine"? (A very strange question, I know. But, I need some insight.)

I mean MDs have more knowledge and power than PAs. PAs go to PA school for 3 years, and can start practicing right away. MDs go to MD school for 4 years and have to do residency for 3-7 years, depending on specialty, and then start practicing afterwards. What can a PA do that an MD cannot?? And PAs usually have to practice under MD supervision. MDs make the decisions.

On the other hand, a PA practicing without an MD degree is unlicensed medicine. But, an MD practicing without PA degree should be allowed. That's my opinion.

To those who don't know, I did not match this year and I am looking for a temporary medical profession, which is why I brought up such a question. Also I already passed my Step 1 & 2 Exams.

On the other hand, a PA practicing without an MD degree is unlicensed medicine. But, an MD practicing without PA degree should be allowed. That's my opinion.

I am a PA. I practice medicine. I have a license, granted to me by the NC medical board, to practice medicine under the scope of practice of my SP.

You do not have a license as an MD. In order to get a PA license, you need to go to PA school and pass the PANCE. The reason:

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php/4001-Beware-of-medical-quick-fixes-international-medical-graduates-as-PAs

I have nothing to really contribute except for two things:

First, it doesn't seem as if you fully understand the role of a PA when you say "MD's make decisions".

Second, just because you think it should be so, doesn't make it so. Checking the state's medical board will help you understand how PA's are regulated.

Let me help you out:

Here you can find the requirements to work as a PA in New York State. I'll repost them here:

Registered Physician Assistant (RPA) is the legal title for individuals registered to practice as physician assistants in New York State. To be registered as a PA in New York State, an individual must:

be at least 21 years old;

be of good moral character;

have successfully completed a four year course of study in a secondary school approved by the Board of Regents or have passed an equivalency test;

have completed a program approved by the State Education Department (SED) for the training of physician assistants or a program determined by the Department to be equivalent;

have obtained a passing score on an examination acceptable to the SED.

Physician assistants may also be authorized to practice under a one-year limited permit.

The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistant (NCCPA) Examination has been designated as the official credentialing examination for purposes of PA registration in New York State. Physician assistants maintain certification by completing 100 hours of continuing medical education every two years and taking a recertification exam every six years. The designation RPA-C stands for Registered Physician Assistant - Certified and may be used only by PAs who have successfully completed the NCCPA certifying examination and possess a valid certification.

A trained physician who is not licensed in New York State may not practice as a PA unless he or she is a graduate of an approved PA program and has fulfilled the requirements for registration as a physician assistant.

Well, I'm surprised that the MD degree does not permit one to practice as a PA. So, I need a separate PA license to practice as a PA?

Why is MD degree + practicing as a PA = "unlicensed medicine"? (A very strange question, I know. But, I need some insight.)

I mean MDs have more knowledge and power than PAs. PAs go to PA school for 3 years, and can start practicing right away. MDs go to MD school for 4 years and have to do residency for 3-7 years, depending on specialty, and then start practicing afterwards. What can a PA do that an MD cannot?? And PAs usually have to practice under MD supervision. MDs make the decisions.

To those who don't know, I did not match this year and I am looking for a temporary medical profession, which is why I brought up such a question. Also I already passed my Step 1 & 2 Exams.

Again just refer to my first post #2...there's your answer, you can argue the point all you want, it isn't going to change the answer.

For someone who purportedly wants to practice medicine in the US you seem to lack insight. To practice medicine in the United States you need a license. To practice medicine as a physician you need to have graduated medical school and done between one and three years of residency depending on the state and your IMG status. You then have to be licensed by the state. To practice medicine as a PA, you need to have graduated from a PA program, passed the certifying exam and be licensed by the state. Every PA has to do this regardless of their previous education. So as an unlicensed MD you would be practicing medicine without a license since you don't qualify as a physician or a PA.

Here is where your mistaken. You have mistaken the degree for the profession. You have graduated with an MD. You are not a physician. An MD without residency allows you to work at Starbuck's or almost any other position that does not require a license. It does not mean that you are a physician. What a PA can do that an MD cannot is practice medicine. Your question should have been what can a physician do that a PA cannot and again the answer should be obvious. BTW PAs are licensed to practice medicine and practice with the supervision of a physician. They make all sorts of decisions without physician input depending on the autonomy of the position.

Again PAs practice medicine with the supervision of a physician. They are considered a separate medical entity in most states with their own unique training and licensing requirements. Failing to secure training in your profession does not allow you to practice my profession, any more than it allows you to do pharmacy, physical therapy or anything else you think you might be qualified for.

You have found what many IMGs have found, that your MD is worthless without a residency. Without knowing why you failed to match your best bet (to quote those who know these things on SDN) is either to find a unlicensed position (which in truth will not help you much) or find a research position in a hospital or medical school where you can get contacts that will help you land a residency.

If you want to know why MD does not equal PA you can do a search here. Suffice to say that unlicensed IMGs practicing as PAs have a complaint rate and licensure action rate several orders of magnitude greater than the population.

But the logic is "MDs are smarter than PAs, so they should be able to practice as a PA by virtue of their MD".

??????

so if I can find an md who is not as smart as I am I can practice as an md? :)

or an rn?

or a lawyer?

or a police officer?

If you want to know why MD does not equal PA you can do a search here. Suffice to say that unlicensed IMGs practicing as PAs have a complaint rate and licensure action rate several orders of magnitude greater than the population.

what david means by this is that in the past some states allowed this but the results were a disaster so it is no longer allowed anywhere.

But the logic is "MDs are smarter than PAs, so they should be able to practice as a PA be virtue of their MD".

??????

As I said refer to my first post #2....MDs smarter than PAs, PAs smarter than MDs...no logic here at all...the difference between the DOs at my school and PAs was school length...it had nothing to do with IQs...

There has to be other options for you to stay active in the Medical profession.I'm sure you are not the first person not to match. Talk with some other MD/DOcolleagues and find out what your options are. But as others have pointed out,you will not be able to practice as a PA. Good luck

Archived