low balled myself :/

Well I made the mistake of throwing out the first number during negotiations. I'm a new grad and I threw out a number around the base salary 50th percentile for new grads in the specialty. The recruiter says that is definitely doable and I get the idea that we are either completely in agreement or I came in under their expectations. Formal offer is coming on Monday that will include bennies and such. 1 year contract so I know I can renegotiate then but are their any strategies to regain any ground I might have lost? I would feel skeezy if they offer the upper end of my number and I ask for more.

Strategies I thought of:

-sign on bonus

-productivity bonus (but as a new grad?)

-loan repayment

-negotiating that my idea of base pay didn't include call

-last resort, I did more research and think I deserve more/plain old counter offer

Any other advice would be appreciated (including telling me don't be greedy)!

In an interview and discussing money is not recommended because you may harm your chances of receiving the highest possible salary. The saying goes that in negotiations, whoever speaks of money first is the loser. One should keep this in mind, and allow the interviewer to show their cards before you do.

Well, if they offer you the job, they want you.  Some may disagree with me here, but my thoughts are, when they accept your offer, say something akin to "After doing more research of the local job market and speaking with other providers, I realized that a fair compensation is actually higher than what I initially said and would like to be reconsidered at a higher compensation level, of $xxxxx."  I mean what's the worse they can say?  Sorry, we don't want to offer you the job anymore?  I suppose possible, but highly unlikely.  I reckon it can't hurt....

Here's the offer I received, it's an ortho practice.

Salary- $90k up to $92.5k in 6 months

Full malpractice

Medical/dental- $300/month family plan

3 weeks PTO

5 days + $1500 CME

all dues, fees and journals paid

Renegotiate every year with full access to accts receivable.

I'm going to try to get to 95k and a sign on bonus. What are your thoughts?

What did you first tell them for salary?  Did they give you more than what you said?  IDK anything about surgery but I think it looks like a good offer since you get a raise in 6 months and can renegotiate yearly, plus you get access to accts receivable. 

I told them 90-95. So they came low to middle. 50th percentile for new grad ortho is 87k, 75th percentile is 93k.

Feel pretty good about this offer, it's a lucrative practice and I just want to make sure I am getting my share. Though I have the ability to renegoriate with access to the #s, I don't want to start behind the 8 ball.

forget the $$

what is the mentoring available?

A few thousand dollars is not a make or break, however the training, mentoring and guidance is the key part......

financial side is fine, the PTO is reasonable, don't seem gready.......

I would ask for some formal training time instead....  

Thanks for the input and reality check. The training will be excellent. This is the premier practice in the area, and I will be working exclusively with my SP, who understands my position as a new grad. I have met the support staff and other providers and it is an envirorment conducive to teamwork and everyone wants everyone else to succeed.

Sounds like a good deal with the SP and the clinic has a reputation to uphold, so they will want quality providers.  Good luck and do well.  Let us know if you accept and then keep us posted!

Archived