CME allowance.. Please Help

Hi all. First time poster. I have been a PA for 10 years and my hospital has cut our CME from 2000 to 0 with no real explanation. Could you please tell me what your CME allowance is. I have a meeting with administration regarding getting our CME back to 2000 and want to have some examples. Thanks in advance.

This is anecdotal and I am naive, but looking around the forums I generally see most people posting about jobs or job offers offering $1000-1500/year for CME. Getting it partially restored may be more realistic.

Did they at least give you the 'budget cuts' line or do they refuse to comment on it?

That's usually the amount. We do have a cme section here NetCE.com offers low cost cmes, cmecorner.com has free cmes as does freecmeweekly.com, this is going to be the trend as hospitals are suffering horribly. Many illegals that don't have medicaid are using the ED as their PCP, hospitals have to eat up that cost. Many hospitals offer weekly cme conferences, you should take advantage of that. Also if you are a member of the AAPA they also have cmes.

2000/yr plus they cover acls, pals, cpr, and fccs in addition to this. what we don't use we get as taxable income at the end of the yr.

my last job was 1200/yr for cme + 1 week off with pay and 1200/yr for non-medical cme(spanish, community college class, whatever) and a 6 mo sabbatical at 1/2 pay every 7 yrs.

had between 1000 and 2500

anything under $1k is just plain wrong unless they are paying for all licenses and fees outside of this money

zero education money - might agree for one year, but if longer then that I would organize the PA's and point out it is not acceptable.

3200 per year now, but that was cut in 08, and I am spearheading an effort (as the institution is doing much better financially now) to increase it BACK to what was defined as our benefit initially. 4000 per year. Plus ACLS/BLS and PALS are covered.

NO licensing fees are covered with the exception of our DEA. We also get up to 5200 per year tuition reimbursement for courses offering certification and/or degree coursework...(5200 for graduate level, 3500 for undergraduate or certificate level stuff).

If you're CVTS then get the APACVS report. The last one came out recently. It breaks down CME dollars, education days, etc. Show this to your employer as the going standard.

Plus one on this. There is variation between specialties, particularly in private groups, and this advice is spot on the money.

$3000/year, 1 week paid CME hours.

Got this increased a year ago - it was $1500 and 4 days paid for CME. We successfully argued that we require as much CME as the phsyicians in our network and that while the registration fee might be less for a PA than MD, the airfare, hotel, food etc is just as expensive for a PA, who gets paid less to begin with.

They pay all licence, prof memeberships, DEA, ACLS as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived