Letter Requesting Shadowing - Would appreciate feedback!

Dear Dr. __________,

I am a student majoring in ____ at _____ University who is very interested in careers in medicine. One of the executive members of a student-run organization known as ______ suggested that I contact you for a potential shadowing opportunity. I am writing in hopes of requesting for such an opportunity to gain a deeper insight on what practice of medicine truly entails.

I would be extremely grateful if you allowed me to quietly observe you as you go about your usual schedule. If possible, it would also be helpful if I could ask you questions I might have after observing your work day and in general about your career experiences. This experience would be invaluable in acquiring a transparent perspective on your profession and discovering my fit for this career path. As your time is extremely valuable, I hope to accommodate your schedule if you would consider my application.

Thank you for your time and consideration in advance. If you prefer to contact me, I can be reached at (phone number) or via e-mail at (Email address). I look forward to your response!

Sincerely,

Bob Smith

Thank you guys in advance!

Good luck to you, but cold calls and letters rarely work for the purpose of shadowing, search the forum and you will see. Understand that this is one of the hardest things to attain because of laws and scheduling conflicts. I agree with cm7sus4, you need direct contact. The best way is to find a job or volunteer position in a setting with PAs(even remote contact will work), then find them via internal directory and ask them by emailing your letter, which looks fine btw. You can also ask them if they know other PAs who are willing.  Worked for me, even then it was limited to only a couple of days per PA, (although a doc did give me 3 weeks worth). Happy Hunting.

Shadowing is becoming harder and harder due to HIPPA and providers being unwilling to take the time. In my experience, networking is the best way (friend of a friend type situations). I also did cold calls with minimal success. Your letter does sound good and professional though.

Don't get discouraged try and try again!

A great approach to shadowing is networking within the healthcare setting that you are getting your healthcare experience. I was able to shadow by contacting someone that my clinical manager knew when I was working as a clinical assistant at a hospital. 

If you do not have this networking, maybe it is a good time to get involved in a healthcare setting. Even if it is just volunteering, it will get your foot in the door.

Archived