Quickest route to degree, does it matter?

Hi, I am new here but have been reading for awhile.

I'm a 29 year old paramedic with over 20,000 hours of experience. I have no 4 year degree but have the majority of the science prereqs done for most PA schools

My goal is to get into a nearby PA school that doesn't yet require a BA/BS degree

However, if not accepted I will continue my education and would like to get my bachelors (I want to do this either way actually)

I would like to get that "piece of paper" the quickest way and get the best possible grades.

Is majoring in science that will require me taking lots of math and the hard sciences necessary? I was considering health science, or even a degree in communications . What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Guest MedLib42

It really depends on the school you're applying to - they seem to have have different thoughts on this. I know there are quite a few that favor science majors. The advantage here is that you get to take a bunch of upper level science classes that may not necessarily be required for PA school, but will show the admissions committee that you can handle a rigorous curriculum comprised of mainly difficult sciences. And your sGPA will look stronger if it's, say, 40+ credits at 3.9 versus 15 or 20 credits at 3.9. 

However, I've also heard several schools say that as long as you've completed your prerequisites and done well, the major doesn't matter. And in fact, one of them said they got bored seeing all science majors come through - they liked individuality and diversity among majors. They accepted some performing arts majors, some foreign language majors, some English, I think... so it probably depends largely on the school.

An unrelated degree won't hold you back from applying, so long as you have your prerecs done.  I'm a paramedic with a BA in social work and so far received 10 interview invites.  The "hard sciences" will look good on an application though, and behoove you as a PA student.  

As a side note, all your EMS classes should count as sciences under CASPA

• Administrator

several programs (like U.WA/Medex) will give you a BS for completing the program along with the PA certificate

And Pacific will give you a BS after didactic and an MS after clinicals if you have enough of the right credits going in...

http://www.pacificu.edu/future-graduate-professional/colleges/college-health-professions/areas-study/physician-assistant/prerequisite-coursework

It's not the Bay Area, but it's only a day's drive away...

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at Stanford (because it's my only option without a bachelors degree), I live in the Bay Area.

it is not your only option. there are probably 10-15 programs left which will give you a bs if you enter without a degree with lots of coursework.

AT Still in AZ used to allow working PAs into their Masters Program even without the BA degree.  As far as I recall you had to have an Associates degree and be PA-C.  There was rumor that they were gonna discontinue this option.  I am NOT sure if this option is still available but worth checking out. 

If you apply to Stanford make sure you have completed the GEs required by Foothill Community College so that you will qualify for the Associates degree. 

AT Still in AZ used to allow working PAs into their Masters Program even without the BA degree.  As far as I recall you had to have an Associates degree and be PA-C.  There was rumor that they were gonna discontinue this option.  I am NOT sure if this option is still available but worth checking out. 

If you apply to Stanford make sure you have completed the GEs required by Foothill Community College so that you will qualify for the Associates degree. 

To date, they still have it. Also a caveat about Foothill clearing your classes, get this done sooner rather than later. It took them a year to get my diploma to me. ATSU was able to allow me in due to my transcript though. Foothill staff and counselors are clueless about the PCAP program. Caused a lot of headache for me during (tuition/FA confusion etc.) and after the program (diploma thing).

Archived