Interview Attire From Express/H&M

Have you seen the kinds of things most academic-type people wear? Being stylish is generally not big in the skill-set. My dad had a college professor who used to make long sleeve dress shirts into short sleeve shirts by cutting them. Different lengths. And not having them hemmed. 

Be neat, dress conservatively, and don't worry!

Guest MedLib42

I would be very careful about doing this - I was always told mixing/matching was not acceptable for grad school or job interviews, but if you happen to do it so well that no one can tell it wasn't a complete suit to begin with, then you might be OK. Make sure the cut and color match exactly, and it's something flattering. Some schools are a little more lenient and relaxed with regard to dress, but some are super conservative and physical appearance can play a big role. It's so incredibly competitive out there, I don't know if I'd take too much of a risk with your suit. 

That said, you shouldn't have to spend $300 on a suit. Try department stores, especially JCPenny if there is one near you - also try Macy's, Sears, Kohls, whatever you have nearby. From what I understand, Burlington men's suits can be pretty cheap (around $100), and Banana Republic can have really great stuff on their clearance rack (even though their full price stuff is definitely expensive). I've also heard people have had luck with places like Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx (although I personally have never seen suits in any of these three stores, it still might be worth checking).

So as a broke college student I would like to avoid spending 300+ on a suit from Men's Warehouse. I am wondering if buying the pieces separate as long as the color matches is okay for an interview? Predominately from express or h&m.

If you can't afford a $300 suit, how can you afford tuition? And if you don't get in to PA school, what will you wear on job interviews?

Don't buy separates unless you're going for contrast (not a good idea here)-it shows. Most won't care, but some will. Unless you know exactly who is sitting across from you and how he or she feels about attire, play it safe.

PA school admissions is competitive, and you will be judged against everyone else there that day-do you really want to be the guy in mismatched clothes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: I'm not referring to the increasingly common trend where retailers separate matched suits into individual trousers and jackets.

If you can't afford a $300 suit, how can you afford tuition? ^^  Wow really?

I bought a dark blue suit from H+M and a blouse from NY+Co for my PA interview and paid around $80 for everything. I think if you can find separates that match, go for it. You dont have to spend $300 on a suit to look professional and polished.

If you can't afford a $300 suit, how can you afford tuition? ^^ Wow really?

Yes. It's a straightforward question-don't read more into it than I wrote. The OP created a dichotomous question (is it acceptable or not to wear separate trousers and jacket) to which I replied no. His only alternative was to spend $300 on a suit, the costs of which are low in comparison to the cost of attending PA school.

It's great that you found an appropriate outfit for $80-you will probably look better than candidates that I have seen wearing separate [and mismatched] clothes. I didn't mention alternatives because I don't know if/where they exist, and because the OP didn't ask.

In short:

Because PA school admissions are very competitive, and you don't know what your competition is like, then, play it safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're a qualified candidate (which by gaining an interview offer, you are), as long as you don't wear anything outrageous you'll be fine. A lot of people stress too much about what to wear when, in the end, they are not going to reject you based solely on clothing choice.

If you can't afford a $300 suit, how can you afford tuition? ^^  Wow really?

I bought a dark blue suit from H+M and a blouse from NY+Co for my PA interview and paid around $80 for everything. I think if you can find separates that match, go for it. You dont have to spend $300 on a suit to look professional and polished.

That is actually a legitimate economic question.  PA school is almost a 6 figure investment, so to suggest that you cannot afford a $300 suit is nonsense. 

You can find a quality suit for less than $300.  A cheap suit that fits well (preferably tailored) will look a million times better than an expensive one that fits poorly.

My interview attire was all from H&M, the whole set, including shoes. Moreover, you can tailor it after and fortunately, for me, it was a slim fit. Everything tends to fit well, only complaints if your picky is to tailor/shorten the blazer cuffs and pants.

Money was an issue for me considering how many schools I applied too. Any possible way to cut cost is fine, if done right.

My experience has been that what makes a suit look cheap is that shiny texture that some polyester has. If you find a thicker matte blend (esp for fall/winter interviews) it has a better look. Wool blends are great for that but run higher. You can find cheaper polyester options that look a lot like wool. Just avoid shiny thin fabric good luck

Archived