Critical Care- New Grad

Here is the offer I got. I am a new grad and would be working 40 hours a week in the ICU.

$75,000.00/annually with additional compensation available of $10.00/procedure completed (i.e. central lines, arterial lines, intubations, etc.) 

CME compensation up to $1,000.00/annually with additional 2 days off for education with approval.

3 weeks (15 days) vacation and sick time of 1 day per month available. (12 days per year with pay out if unused at end of calendar year.)

401K available with a 6 year vestment process. Eligible for this after the first calendar year and then accrue 20% vesting per year following. 

Health care coverage for employee at DLSM expense. High deductible Health Savings Account Coverage is current coverage with $3,000/$6,000 single/family coverage. DLSM does contribute $1,000.00/annually ($500.00 January 1 and $500.00 July 1 calendar years). 

Dental coverage also for employee at DLSM expense with same dependent expense for employee. We are also requesting a 6 month termination clause in the contract so as to have adequate time available to rep

How many procedures could you expect to do? One per hour would bump your pay to about $95,000. One per day only bumps you up by about $2,500 per year. You need to find out how busy they are and what opportunities you might have. Also, you indicate that the 401k vests over 6 years so I assume they do some matching. You need to look at that because every percent is. $750 per year before tax. If the 401k match is generous and you can do lots of procedures, the pay may not be bad.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Pretty low. I started in Pulm/CCM in 2009 and my initial contract was $85k. As you gain experience you'll obviously be more valuable and your salary should reflect that. If they are willing to map out some scheduled salary increases and it looks good it may be worth it. It's a tough field to break into for a new grad. I was a firefighter/medic and it was still a tough learning curve. I've been in CCM ever since and love it.

75k for critical care?  No way, no how.  Then again...75k for any job?  No way, no how.  

+ procedure fees. might be lucrative with several procedures/day. depends on what the total package works out to. best to talk to current staff and see what they make. maybe some kind of salary guarantee (75k base with guarantee of x dollars/procedure or 10k/yr in bonus, whichever is more. )

Well I ended up countering their offer with 90K and asked how many procedures I could expect as you guys suggested. They ended up saying they would go up to 80K and said I should expect 2 to 4 procedures a day which  would equate to about an extra 5 to 10K a year. So with all that in mind I would be making around 85 to 90. Any thoughts?

Also, I have no ICU experience prior to PA school so I know the learning curve will be pretty huge but hopefully I will be up to the challenge! I appreciate all of the feedback. It is very helpful.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dayton PA salaries tend to be lower that elsewhere in Ohio.  It may be because of the Kettering program which puts out ~40 new grads/year.  However, Cincinnati pays better.

Having a local PA program lowering salaries is not valid. It is an excuse and threat used by administrators to keep salaries low. Likely your cost of living is not much different than Cincinnati nor are you responsible for less.

As for the salary offered, this is low ball. Negotiating another 5k only gets you another 3k, which your insurance deductible will eat up.

1k for CME is ridiculous, covers one conference fee and 2 nights at a hotel leaving you to cover travel.

6 year vesting into 401k is all set up for the employer because it really is a 7 year vesting period, the likelihood you will leave after a period of time is high and they keep their money.

Did not mention paying fees and dues. Are you shouldering costs for state license? DEA? professional organization dues?

This $10 per procedure thing. What is the mechanism to track this? When is it paid? Per pay period? Monthly? Quarterly? Yearly?

Last, a 6 month termination clause is set up for the employer and not for you. When you cant negotiate your 80k to what you should be making after a few years which is 120k plus, the prospective employers will cringe when you tell them you need 6 months until can start with them. 3 months is more like it.

But if you are looking for experience and this is your only option then out of all these things I would get rid of the termination clause. Work for these people for 2-3 yrs and then make your next move, either they bring your salary up above 100k or be prepared to move.

This sounds like you are being taken advantage of overall.

Here is how to put this in perspective. You will be working in critical care. You will care for patients whom will die on your shift and under your care despite your best efforts. Correlate that with 80k.

Clarify, are you being employed by hospital or private group?

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

One last thing, something helpful to all looking at contracts.

Go to:

http://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/salary/

Fill in the numbers using the offer.

Always an education when you see the effects of taxes and deductions on your high 5 figure (or low 6 figure) salary.

As for deducting all that student loan interest, phases out starting at 65k single, 130k joint filing.

Bottom line, always negotiate higher.

GB PA-C

Archived