• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you are placed on committee hold you will receive an update of your status after each interview session they hold. If you do not get accepted after the December interviews are done then you will be waitlisted and they will tell you what number you are on the list. The list can go up into the 50's or more. Last year someone who was 42nd on the list got accepted. They place quite a few people on committee hold. Keep the faith because you still have a great chance to be accepted'????

When you are placed on committee hold you will receive an update of your status after each interview session they hold. If you do not get accepted after the December interviews are done then you will be waitlisted and they will tell you what number you are on the list. The list can go up into the 50's or more. Last year someone who was 42nd on the list got accepted. They place quite a few people on committee hold. Keep the faith because you still have a great chance to be accepted'????

I believe the class of 2016 has someone who was 50th on the wait list.

At this year's interview, they told us wait list position is very misleading.  Last year, they dipped 40 or 50 people into the wait list.  The year before it was 10 or 15.  They repeated several times that it really varies year to year and that your wait list rank has very little to do with whether or not you're ultimately accepted (compared with other factors such as attrition from the matriculating class and demand by those on the wait list offered seats).  Try not to get too attached to your number. 

I have my first PA school interview at Pacific University on 12/6/14. Can someone who has already interviewed at Pacific for this cycle provide me with information on how the interview day is run, ie. writing sample exercise, interview questions, information session, anything you think would be helpful to obtain a spot in the class! Thank you in advance for your help!

The writing sample is a half hour, pen and paper exercise.  The sample question they give is "If you could fly or be invisible, which would you pick?"  Ours wasn't that one, but it was similar in that it's way open ended and requires some creative thinking to ground your answer in good writing.  Your interviewers will read this before they see you too.  (Interview is later in the day at Pacific...after a bunch of presentations, tours, writing, etc.)  Interview itself was one faculty and one local practitioner (both PAs).  It was VERY comfortable and conversational.  A lot of standard questions: why PA?  Why not MD?  Why Pacific?  How will you handle having a family in school?  And lots of questions about my profile and career specifically, of course.  Nothing at all out of left field.  I really enjoyed the discussion, although know this: once you have an interview, everyone starts with a clean slate--meaning GPA, CASPA, all of that is thrown out the window (in terms of the actual decision).  Leah mentioned once you've received an interview, you're considered academically solid, and everything from that point onward rides on that one 30-minute interview.  (No pressure!)  And yes, there is only one interview, and it is 30 minutes long.  But again, the day is so well organized; everyone is so friendly and just wanting to put a best foot forward; and conversations were so genuine and engaging across the board.  It's a huge deal to be in the top 10% of PU applicants so far.  Just try to relax, and be confident that you belong at the top of the interviewing class as well.  All will work out as it's supposed to!  

Does anybody know in what order they send out rejection letters? I still haven't received an interview offer or rejection letter from the program. I know some other applicants who have already received rejection letters. Do they typically wait until the end of the cycle to send out the remainder of rejections or are they continually sent on a rolling basis? I know there is only one interview date left and it is approaching quickly.

Guest Merlins

On Tuesday I received the thoughtfully-written email not inviting me to an interview. Hurts to be rejected twice, and I'm trying hard not to be discouraged. I admit I do feel like I'm spinning my wheels and sometimes feel like I'm seeing "life" go by. It's exhausting, but I'm determined to improve myself and get accepted. Thanks for everyone's encouragement on here. Best of luck to those who have interviews!

Hi Merlins

Sorry you were rejected. I'm wondering is Oregon Pacific the only school you are applying to?? I've felt like I'm spinning my wheels so many times in life but you are not. There are so many great programs out here. Have you applied to other schools this application season?? Keep your head up!

Guest Merlins

Hi Bluelilly-

I'm still waiting to hear back from 4 other schools across the country. So far I've received 2 rejection letters (OHSU and Pacific), which were the only two I had applied to last cycle. I hoped I would have at least gotten an interview. I'm just super bummed since those 2 were my top choices, especially since I live in Portland.

But in the words of the most adorable 95-year-old patient I worked with yesterday, "Never give up honey. Whatever you do, you just keep trying and you'll get it!"

Lil' old Lois does know best :-)

Thanks for your response and reassurance. Time for some exercise and deep breathing I think. Best of luck to you too.

Has anybody heard anything from the school since the round of rejection letters went out early last week? I haven't heard anything one way or the other. A friend of mine did get a rejection letter last week, as did several other people on this forum, apparently. I'm wondering where this leaves me. I applied early on in the cycle, so I can't imagine that my application hasn't been looked at yet.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they still offer individual interviews past Dec. 6th? I haven't heard anything yet and figured it was safe to assume I'd be rejected considering the last interview date is in 4 days, but I don't want to bother admissions since they're really busy. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated! (obviously patience isn't one of my strong points, but I did apply late July so I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard anything).

Archived