Should I be wary of this position or am I reading too much into it?

Ob/gyn w/independent oversight of the clinic for approx. 2 days out of the week. basically the MD is 77 and overworked between himself, another MD, and a midwife.

my concerns largely lie with the stories I'm getting from the CSO, partly in the phone interview (the Doc was also on the line) and partly from speaking to him in person (he was in my area for his sister's birthday party).

- told me that the other MD (who he said has worked for them for 2 years, when i asked) is "slow" and "not productive", was "costing" them a lot, and they're looking to get rid of her. then later told me they had already given her notice. sounded to me as if they just want to 'downsize' to a PA to save money, and they're going to give her 2 weeks notice as soon as i sign a contract.

- looked up the CSO online, has had numerous businesses in the last 5 years, all with different names. had a non-profit at one point, that took contributions. says he works in establishing rural clinics, but also works in mortgages and loans.

- told me they had a NP who was doing a residency at a certain school, learning to do obstetric delivery. then tonight said it was a PA. i looked into it and there's no such residency program at that school, but there is one in that county (maybe he was confused). he also said something about her being on vacation at the moment? very confusing.

- great salary (45 hourly to start), but no benefits ... officially. said they would pay me "on the side", for whatever i'm paying yearly on my current insurance plan. they do offer paid vacation.

- he called the Doc while i was at his sister's party, and put me on the cell with him. we spoke briefly, and when i said i had been giving a lot of thought to the amount of responsibility, he snapped "what responsibility" ... he then calmly told me it would be basic clinical duties and nothing to worry about.

it just feels a bit shady, but he's the business end of it and i'm unsure if I'm reading too much. or too little? they've had this clinic open about a year, serving mostly underserved patients. the Doc has privileges at a local hospital where he delivers. i found one old probation on his record after negligence charges (didn't sound like too big a deal when i looked into it, and he was cleared with outstanding references from many other physicians a few years later).

the CSO is definitely a business dude who's looking to fill the position and redeem his salary. but I'm worried that a) they're just looking to temporarily give the MD a break, and will let me go as soon as the other PA is supposedly done with her residency, b) I won't be able to handle the responsibilities of working independently so soon after graduation, and c) that this guy having so many companies in the last few years means there's something shady going on.

it's to the point where i really need a job. i've interviewed at a couple places, one is currently checking my references (a very solid county clinic, good pay with benefits but will probably be a lot of on-site oversight from Docs). but who knows if i'll get it? interviewed at one place that was a total joke, i drove two hours only to see them hiring the guy before me. there's not a lot out there for new grads, in my area ... and my private loans are due.

any suggestions? do i put all my cards on the table, cancel this opportunity and hope for the county clinic to come thru? should i still goto the interview with the ob/gyn interview on monday?

I would go with your gut on this one. It sounds shady. But even if it's on the up-and-up, you need to be on good footing and comfortable with the people that you are working with/for. You will find something more suited to you and a business you can trust. And get some benefits and a contract! Just my take...

First job out, you need to make absolutely sure the MD is willing to teach, especially in a practice like OB/GYN with a high rate of lawsuits. The learning curve will be steep with lots of procedures needing to be taught if you are to be doing anything more than OB physicals and sick call.

As far as the practice is concerned, don't start in it if you really feel it's shady. Loans can be deferred until you find the right job. The fact that they are not willing to pay benefits also concerns me; you need the safety net of health, dental, CME, etc.

If you specialize in OB/GYN you're going to have a difficult time trying to mobilize out of it. Think about it, this is a sub group of women with a condition. You won't be handing out cardiac, anti hypertensive meds, and not too many ABX other than for infxs "down there". It takes you away from mainstream medications. The same can be said about peds. But this is definitely lawsuit city, just like peds. Many FPs don't do OB anymore b/c of lost time delivering and lawsuits, so if you look to go into FP the only docs that would look to hire you are FPw/OB. This practice is in the process of change...at 77, he's retiring VERY soon, the other one is on the way out the door? I see you as cheap labor, you will be working twice as hard making half as much. But in the end it's your decision, you have to show up for work.

I wouldn't even consider this as a first job. Way to many red flags, even if some of them are legit. You need a great working relationship with your SP for a first job. The learning curve will be massive. I agree with wholeheartedly with marilyn on this one. Doesnt sound like a great way to start your career. Just my .02.

thanks people ... i wish i didn't have to give it even a second thought, but there's really not a lot out there unless you have the means to interview/move all over the state ... anyhow, it obviously sounds shaky and i'll hold out.

I'm with everyone in that it sounds shady. But I know how you feel about the breath of the banks on the nape of your neck. I agree with Emed about expanding your search area. You may take this job out of mere desperation and regret doing so in short time. Hang in there bro. I know there are very little new grad opps in my area too. Hope you find something else soon man. Have you tried a headhunter? or CEP If you are in Cali...

Thanks guys. Yea, the prisons in southern to central Cali aren't looking (I was in discussions with one, but then they went on a hiring freeze). I am searching as far as I can ... I don't have money for airfare, even gas to drive to interviews is coming from my credit cards (which are fast approaching doomsday levels). I have spoken with CEP, was waiting for the package they were supposed to email and then never heard from them again (yes, I called even ... I just looked and applied online, maybe that will get a better representative). And yea, going through headhunters. I'm doin' the best I can ... pretty sure I'm wrapping it up with that County clinic, fingers crossed.

I did call the ob/gyn clinic and let them know I wont be going to the interview tomorrow. Thanks again.

Do you have any NHSC clinics locally or maybe the USPHC?

That ob/gyn clinic was actually a NHSC site ... but yes, the county clinic I'm waiting on is also. I've applied to every single one of them (a couple twice over), but never heard back ... did hear back from one or two locally that demanded the applicant be seriously bilingual (which I can't honestly say I am).

The USPHC ... you mean the U.S Pond Hockey Championships? lol I think maybe it's the USPHS? Did speak with them a few days ago, but didn't make it past the pre-test (BMI is over the limit, although it's muscle and they're supposedly getting back to me on that) ... thank you for the caring and sharing!

http://www.healthecareers.com/aapa//

http://www.doccafe.com/

http://www.advancedpractice.com/

for just a few.......

I have gotten most my jobs by word of mouth and sending in CV to places I wanted to work...... polish up your CV - get out a phone book - and send it out to every practice in the 50 mile radius - each with a personalized polite professional cover letter with the Doc's name (or HR person's name) on it and a CV that is specific to their practice (even if this is only changing the objective line to read their practice name)

This is highly likely to get you an interview - then learn about the practice - and cross fingers

Also I hear the VA is now starting to hire locums PA's - had been doing only Doc's for about 4 years, but recently looks like they have added PA's to the locum's listings...... gotta imagine there is some jobs out there that you could work M-F then be home for the weekend to get teh banks off your back and stop living off CC.....

Keep you head up - no one wants to hire a defeated person - be self assured, confident and smile and have fun..... some day you will look back at all the free time you have right now and wish you had even one or two days off!

Archived