Collaborative learning in PA school

With a younger generation who has always had the Internet around while growing up now being in their 20's and starting professional careers...it never ceases to amaze me the way some people will put things out on the internet that can be red flags of unprofessionalism for potential employers.  

Ok. I had collaborative testing in nurisng school along with collaborative activites in class. I really needed to think about this. Thanks for confirming.

Is there a difference between problem based learning and collaborative learning? I'm just getting an overview of how students and faculty work together.

Ok. I had collaborative testing in nurisng school along with collaborative activites in class. I really needed to think about this. Thanks for confirming.

Is there a difference between problem based learning and collaborative learning? I'm just getting an overview of how students and faculty work together.

Problem based learning basically goes like this: you have a patient with x complaint. Discuss differential and how you would find your answer. It's just a piece of how you learn in PA school and many schools do not do PBL anymore. Instead they do systems based learning.

Problem based learning basically goes like this: you have a patient with x complaint. Discuss differential and how you would find your answer. It's just a piece of how you learn in PA school and many schools do not do PBL anymore. Instead they do systems based learning.

Ok. PBL kinda makes sense. I just learned about the word from what I've read on the internet. I was just curious about the difference between what was explained on the net, and what was experienced by people who have done PBL. Learning about how information is taught can give me a feel for whether or not I can commit myself to two years of schooling.

I am not familiar wtih system based learning though.

Guest MedLib42

We do systems based for most classes, then have at least one PBL class per semester (which I love), done in small discussion groups. We also have one or two collaborative learning projects (papers or presentations) per semester, separate from PBL. No collaborative testing though!

Systems based basically means you go through one system at a time in all subjects - for example, you'll do cardio for a few weeks in pharm, internal med, physiology, and whatever other classes you have at the same time, take all your cardio exams, then start another system. Generally it's lecture based.

I think most schools use systems-based, but when I applied, there were still a few that mainly used PBL, so if it matters to you, do some research and see how the specific schools you're interested in teach the material.

Pacific University has a system where you take exams individually and then take the exact same test in a group of four. If the group scores above 90 or 95% they add 5 or 10% to your individual exam score. Something like that...the interview was a while ago

• 3 weeks later...

Pacific University has a system where you take exams individually and then take the exact same test in a group of four. If the group scores above 90 or 95% they add 5 or 10% to your individual exam score. Something like that...the interview was a while ago

We experimented with a similar thing one time in my Ophthalmology class. They took the average of our individual score on the test, and our group score. I rather liked it actually.

The article is clearly filled with hyperbole in an attempt to be entertaining.  The thing to remember is that PA school is hard, no matter which program you attend.  Focus your research on individual schools' websites and pose questions directly to programs you are interested in.  There is some variability in teaching methods used amongst programs, but as you go through the process or researching and ultimately interviews, you should find a good fit. 

Archived