MEDEX 2014-2015 applicants

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want the information to be correct so I can only speculate from other online classes but my guess is that the testing period is open for a 24 hour period. In the past for situations like this I would log onto blackboard and open the exam and it was timed. I can only assume this is how they will do it as well. It needs to be flexible to accomadate everyone because they assume we are still working and possibly have a family.

Will a current student please expand on this for us?

The online quizzes are open for longer than 24 hours. I believe they are open all week, from what I remember. They are timed, but most people have no problem with the time allotted, a few special cases of learning disabilities or family crises mid-quiz may be exempt from that.

Bottom line, though, is to TALK to the program. They want to help you! If you know you're a slow reader or you can't take online quizzes or whatever, see if they can help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received an invite this afternoon to the January 22 interview in Seattle. I applied to the Anchorage site. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to stay near the University?

I had great luck (and always have good experiences) with AirBnB during my four days there in the U district, if a hotel seems too pricey.

Well, I got the rejection letter in the mail.  It is postmarked yesterday, so those outside of Seattle should start to receive them in the coming days.

I feel simultaneously discouraged and impassioned.  It was my second year without garnering an interview invitation, but I suspect my early academic failings are playing a large part in that.  Full disclosure, I had accumulated 171 credit-attempts prior to failing out with a 1.81 average.  Of course this was all before I became an EMT and fell in love with the healthcare field.  It's been difficult to bring my GPA up given the massive hole I dug in my youth, and while it's still not great, it's much better than it used to be.  I'm already re-enrolled at the UW, and will be finally graduating with my biology degree this spring, 12 years after my first enrollment.  The MCHS path at MEDEX, and other PA schools across the country, will be available to me next year.

Despite the discouragement, I'm more certain that ever.  I've spent the last couple months reflecting on my desire and goals.  Is this really what I want to do?  Why a PA instead of an NP/RN/MD/DO/etc?  What else can I do?  These are questions I'll continue asking myself into the future.  After all, life is constantly changing and you have to do what makes the most sense for you and your family.  But I currently remain steadfast in my passion to become a PA.  While the rejection is certainly humbling, it has also inspired me to keep working hard toward my goals.  This is the career for me.  I will become a PA eventually.

It's been excellent becoming acquainted with you guys these past few months.  I give my sincerest congratulations to those who have been accepted already, and my sincerest well-wishings for those who will be interviewing in January.  To those in the same boat as me, I hope to see you on here as we enter the next application cycle.  Keep your chins up, and keep on fighting!

Happy holidays to you and yours.

I got my rejection letter as well.. But it's okay. I'll keep working hard, improve my grades, retake a few classes, pass the NREMT and finally find an EMT job, gain more experience and hopefully get in next year. Mkearney, keep up the good work and do not give up. You'll be a PA eventually.Congradulations to those of you accepted and for those of you with interviews. I truly wish you nothing but the best! It has been such an honor to be apart of this forum. You guys are an amazing group of individuals.

Good luck and happy holidays!

The academics can play a huge role, but I feel this may be an opportunity for you. Make the case that while you were not a stellar student in the past, show how you have improved once you found your calling. Make sure you absolutely know why you want this, and why the school you choose is the school you want to attend. Pay attention to the mission statement, as medex sticks to it. If you would like to chat about it, give me a message, I believe we will do a regrouping after the holidays.

Mkearney, we can always meet up and chat! Arpy, we will get together soon. Good luck on your NREMT!

Congrats to those getting in! And to those having interviews best of luck... For those of us rejected, we will get in next year. MEDEX class 50 has a nice ring to it. :) We should start our reapplicant forum, if it hasn't been started already. (I am newer to the world of forums)

The academics can play a huge role, but I feel this may be an opportunity for you. Make the case that while you were not a stellar student in the past, show how you have improved once you found your calling.

With a 3.92 over my last 60 credits, that's exactly what I thought I'd done.  Just have to stick with it until I graduate, at the very least.  I appreciate the encouragement though!  And I'll certainly follow the other things you said as well.  I know the qualifications are multifaceted, so I can continue to augment my application in other ways.

With a 3.92 over my last 60 credits, that's exactly what I thought I'd done.  Just have to stick with it until I graduate, at the very least.  I appreciate the encouragement though!  And I'll certainly follow the other things you said as well.  I know the qualifications are multifaceted, so I can continue to augment my application in other ways.

I feel this pain.  I have a 3.2 science according to CASPA because they do not count my CLS credits as science CLS stands for Clinical Laboratory Sciences, including classes such as "pathogenic microbiology", "Clinical Immunology", "Hematology", which were all 4.0 classes for me.  I have a 3.6 science GPA with those classes.  This was my last 2 years of classes,  I am curious as to if they were looked at. Two bachelors degrees (3.5 overall for 207 credits) and 15000 hours of HCE (only 5k were volunteer) as an EMT-B, then EMT-I, now a MLS.  References from a professor/my faculty advisor for the SGA since (class president), my current supervisor, and another professor I did community outreach with.  I go away at least a week each year to do some sort of aid trip either medical or construction based. I have a very good understanding of the profession working with PAs in medical clinics, in the emergency department, and in my personal life  though I failed  to put on an application that the person I've been dating for 5 years  has been a PA-C for 1.5 years....  I'm pretty much just heart broken and complaining at this point but genuinely confused as to how I wasn't offered an interview at MEDEX or OHSU other than maybe that GPA thing. 

I have one more day of work before a 4 day break, but I guess all I can do is say cheers and have a drink over this, then hope that Wake Forest doesn't completely crush my spirit to start of 2015.

(I also applied at George washington were I interviewed and was rejected, I'm not upset about that because at least they gave me the opportunity to interview.  I can accept it if I blew an interview.)

14characters- When you re-apply I would get letters from PA-C's preferably MEDEX grads and not use non-medical references. I had my A&P Professor write one for me but they are an MD and I won and award from the university for Anatomy while I was in their class. The other two were from PA's and I think that helped me a lot. In an information session with UW faculty they specifically stated that the ideal candidate have one letter from an MD hopefully stating that they would like you to work with them after graduation and from two PA's stating that you have the "right stuff" to be their colleague. Best of luck. You have great grades get better letters and craft a strong essay to set you apart.    

Did you feel you had strong letters and essays? I was pulling for you, you have been very encouraging to many people on this forum including myself. Your grades are strong in your last 60 credits and you may be a better candidate in the MCHS route because of that and you will have a degree. Get a solid GRE score and some strong letters from MEDEX Alum PA's and you should get an interview. Good Luck!

Did you feel you had strong letters and essays? I was pulling for you, you have been very encouraging to many people on this forum including myself. Your grades are strong in your last 60 credits and you may be a better candidate in the MCHS route because of that and you will have a degree. Get a solid GRE score and some strong letters from MEDEX Alum PA's and you should get an interview. Good Luck!

I feel I did, yes.  C'est la vie!  I'll keep working on everything.  My academics, shadowing, and volunteering will all be bolstered by the time I apply again.  And I still have my two healthcare jobs as well.

I suspect you're right about being a better MCHS candidate next year.  I was thinking about that recently, actually.  What reason would they have to choose me over another qualified candidate for one of the few BCHS slots?  I'm already enrolled in a degree program.  So the logical thing to do is allow me to finish the degree, then give me closer consideration in the future.  I think my ability to earn a bachelors degree at this point is unique among the MEDEX candidates.  The BCHS is perfect for those that don't have the time/money/ability to finish their undergraduate education.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I find it easy to reconcile the rejection this way.

Good luck to you as well!

Guest Merlins

The rejection letters have reached Portland OR! I received my very own today. I'm pretty bummed, but my app is still under review for 2 other schools for late interviews. I'm still working on details for my reapplication. For today, it seems appropriate that a good workout/sauna could help with my disillusionment. Thanks for everyone's support and insight on this forum. I'll probably be seeing some of y'all in next year's thread.

Over the past 3 months I have been following this forum periodically and I cannot begin to describe the encouragement and sense of comradery I have felt from reading through the posts. On Sept 22nd I submitted my CASPA application and thus began the waiting.... I laughed when I read many of the posts and felt relieved to hear that others were also checking their email multiple times a day too! I am thankful for the insight and support that the current MEDEX students have shared here too! I finally came to a place of being okay with whatever the outcome and even waiting until January to hear either yes or no about an interview, then this past Monday I received the email from Medex extending the invite for the Jan 10th interview in Spokane! I was speechless and a bit overwhelmed by the reality of the dream becoming more of a reality. I am excited and honored for this opportunity!

For those of you who received that rejection letter I am bummed for you, but agree with the others to keep focused upon your goal and on keeping on. I wish you the very best in all your endeavors, because I imagine that you will make a difference in peoples lives no matter what you do -- just being who you are.

I look forward to meeting and getting to know more those of you who have been invited for the January interview in Spokane. Best of success to us all! Let's give it all we've got!

By the way, does anyone know if there are plans for meeting up the night before the interview in Spokane...?

Archived