salary talk

Come on people we need to stop letting "discrimination" or "racisim" or whatever you want to call it these days, let it be the basis as to why we can't get a job, or why we can't get into to med school, or obtain a higher position. As a black female when I apply to jobs or even when I start the process of applying to PA school nexy year, I am not thinking about affirmative action or which "white female or male" might take my spot because of their skin color. All I focus on is doing the best I can. If I know I am qualified for a job or qualified for PA school, then I will apply. If I think that I should get more experience under my belt then I will wait and then apply.

The point I am trying to make is take discrimination out the equation and start thinking maybe this person got this job, this promotion and an offer to go to med school or PA school, because they were qualified and because maybe the employer just like them as a person in general.

But hey what do I know right???

Cant agree with you on that....I see reps come through our door everyday and maybe 1/4th are attractive. I suspect the others are just really good at what they do

Pharm rep eh???? does anyone need to really talk about the kind of physical discrimination pharm companies are guilty of? Every single rep that comes in is physically attractive, male and female. This is obviously no coincidence. It's because of this that I find "treschic's" post to be very hypocritical.

Many nurses have what is called NBS after 20 years into it.

What is NBS? Nursing Butt Syndrome. The buttocks widen from sitting so much and remain that way for the remainder of the nurses life. Also, the weekly pot-lucks don't help and actually exacerbate NBS.

There is no known cure.

NBS, we must find an answer to this horrible disease.

Many nurses have what is called NBS after 20 years into it.

What is NBS? Nursing Butt Syndrome. The buttocks widen from sitting so much and remain that way for the remainder of the nurses life. Also, the weekly pot-lucks don't help and actually exacerbate NBS.

There is no known cure.

NBS, we must find an answer to this horrible disease.

Iain=teh funny!!! When I saw you as the last post on this forum, how'd i know it was gonna be a gem?!

this is what im taking about. most of the nurse come to my hospital to retire... all the good looking ones married surgeons...

and let keep this thread talk about money please..... is 78K with 1 years experience good in NYC

Well according to this:

http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Physician-Assistant-Medical-Salary-Details-New-York-NY.aspx

YOU WAS ROBBED!

I am going to grad in may in WV. I will be getting 83k for family med starting out for 40 hrs no call will get 125k if I work 60 hr wks. No health ins because I turned it down since my wife has it. Seems to be a good deal. 4 wks paid vacation, 1500 cme.

Sweeeeeet deal! Take it take it take it! That's what I'm looking for when I graduate, but in ny (not city, the LI suburbs) not as easy.

Hmm. No idea why I'm even bothering anymore, call me a masochist.

1. I didn't know that simply being aware of the fact that (this will blow your mind) racism still exists in the modern world = being ashamed of my own identity. I'm actually pretty damn proud to have gotten where I am based on my own merit and skill.

Racism and stereotypes are a natural phenomenon. All stereotypes are based somewhat in fact, they are passed along generalities about a group or groups behavior.

1a. Speaking of merit and skill, I find it interesting that you automatically assume that had a minority student been accepted to PA school in my place, it was due to affirmative action or reverse racism and not them simply being a better candidate than I am. Isn't it crazy how even those silly ol' blacks and Hispanics can earn their spot in the world just like us poor, degraded whites? I know it's really hard being able to travel just about anywhere in the world, or exist at almost any point in human history, or earn a role in any society without everyone around you asking "how" or "why" you got there. I'm sure with time you will adapt to these challenges and come out a stronger man.

This point is entirely case specific. This could be said of any person of any color. But I can tell you that if I were a black male, I would find Affirmative Action degrading. That is telling people of color that they cannot make it on thier own merit, you need big brother government to help you. That is insulting.

2. It's amazing how despite being in a very conservative, Republican-dominated school system, and not going beyond the basic intro to Sociology or Psychology courses, I can still be brainwashed by my ~Leftist Professors.~ Isn't it great how we can form our own opinions through simple observation and awareness of the world around us, and not be force-fed our ideologies? That's what makes being human so awesome.

This one is funny. You are sooooooo brain washed. Partially b/c of where you are from. You live in a predominantly white state, please come spend some time with me in Memphis, TN and open your eyes a bit. I witnessed this phenomenon first hand in grad school. I went to grad school in New England I could not believe the passionate liberal positions of those people on affirmative action and racism, etc... Considering these people had never lived in a black neighborhood or much less a city where whites were the minority, they had the audacity to speak with authority on a subject with which they have NO experience. You see this is what happens when you are spoon fed academic BS, it doesn't hold up when it meets the real world.

3. You seem to define racial privilege as material wealth and power. Which is why you think those two black students who are going to a private school are somehow never going to face racism, and in fact they probably stole those two spots from deserving white students because the school has a magical quota to fill. It has nothing to do with the socioeconomic standing of their father with his successful career that he would not have been able to obtain less than a century ago, and everything to do with how incredibly privileged they are. Alrighty. I'm sure they will feel the privilege just dripping off of them if they ever get a strange glance from some random person who avoids walking too closely to them in an unfamiliar setting.

When I am walking down the street, I am not so interested in assesing the color of the person approaching me as I am other cues to whether or not I should cross the street. Such as how are they dressed, their mannerism etc.. A black man in a suit does not worry me, a white kid dishoveled and skulking does. There is more going on than race.

Basically what I hope anyone out there reading my posts gets from this little exchange is this:

The first post was downright offensive. Maybe it was a poorly-written joke, but the slutty nurse stereotype and views on women in medicine in general is not perfect by any means, and NONE of you who jokingly went along are helping the matter. We still face salary disparities. We are still passed over in hiring because of the risk that we might decide to have a child someday, making us less "dependable." And we are still viewed as objects, trophies, or tools for your own use and conquering. This is not some crazy liberal feminist rant, this is a simple fact that exists in our world today. I hope if you ever have a daughter you deeply consider how you are going to act around her, how you are going to respect her no matter what job she chooses, whether it's at the top tier or not. I hope you teach her that no man should ever reduce her to a pair of boobs and a vagina or a piece of scenery that he somehow deserves to have prancing around in his workplace.

Burn your bra and or attend another "burning man" party, whatever makes you feel good. And yes, your post is a liberal feminist rant.

And for the love of god, act professionally online. Say all the racist, homophobic, sexist, idiotic things you want among your friends. That is your business alone. But in mixed company, use your damned brain. Censor yourself not because you don't want to offend, but because you understand that words have power and meaning and as a male, especially a white male, there are no insults in the world that have the same weight as you can levy on other people.

My words do matter, you should listen to them. When you begin working and dealing with patients daily and paying taxes, your opinions will change. I'll bet you won't be so liberal in about 5 years. Oh wait, your class of 2013.....make that 10 years, you have a long way to go.

Wow, for someone that's supposed to be deep in the medical field you really have no idea what it's like for some of our less privileged patients. There is a reason why blacks have higher maternal and infant death rates - they are simply ostracized by the very people that should help them. I bet you are also a white man, as am I, and I am ashamed of what our people have done, whether actively (like the OP) or by being passive *******s that refuse to make it better (like you.). Women have done nothing to make them feel like they should be ashamed. NOTHING gets stupid white men more riled up than the smallest suggestion that women and not-white people have equal footing with them, and you are a perfect example!!! Equal footing, might I add, that doesn't equate to being "scenery". I am happy that at least one person decided to call the OP out for the sexist scumbag he is.

This is one of the funniest most uninformed posts I have ever read!! Blacks have a higher infant mortality rate "simply b/c they are ostracized by those who should help them" !! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!! You have no idea what you are talking about!

And as far as women on equal footing, let me tell you I am the first to allow any woman or "minority" (I hate that term) to come and walk the walk with me. I do not EVER want race or sex to be a factor. But you people do. I remember in the military that women want to do the same jobs as men, but they get to do their push-ups with thier knees on the ground but the men have to do a "standard" push up. So you see you types do want the differences noted when it works to your advantage. You are a hyprocrite! That is just one example, I could go on and on.

Can someone comment to this please? My sister is an NP, and her first year out of school in derm she was offered $75k to start WITH benefits. She decided to decline benefits and was paid an extra $20k ($95k total) because that was the approx cost of benefits to her SP. So, if the WV grad is getting $83k W.O benefits, that would be the same as $60k with benefits, which is nothing. Shouldn't they ask for $103k W/O the benefits? I don't understand how everyone is saying this is such a great offer?

Derm vs Fam med for starters. It also can mean a difference of area and type of work,hours. I would take the family med for the experience and then move on. If you're looking to get into derm then take the derm job, of course. But if both the poster and your sister wanted the same ED job, the one with the family experience would have an edge over the one in derm....at least IMHO.

Derm vs Fam med for starters. It also can mean a difference of area and type of work,hours. I would take the family med for the experience and then move on. If you're looking to get into derm then take the derm job, of course. But if both the poster and your sister wanted the same ED job, the one with the family experience would have an edge over the one in derm....at least IMHO.

No no, I think you've completely missed my point. I'm not comparing my sisters derm job to fam practice. I'll try this again, Kirkc who posted ^^^^ said he is a new grad and has a family practice offer for $83k/yr with NO benefits. If the "average" for new grads is approx $75k WITH benefits, then that is a financial package worth around $95k (benefits cost employer $20k). Therefore, if kirkc is not receiving any benefits, and still getting paid only $83k, his employer is essentially making out. His salary is the same as $60kyr WITH benefits, which is not a good salary to start. I think he should be asking for much much more, considering he is not getting benefits. So........I still cannot understand why people are saying $83k/yr is such a great offer, and to take it?

Archived