salary talk

My first job out of school and i make 70k with full health benefits. I work in Internal medicine in NYC. Im 10 months into my job and im due for an 8K raise after a year.

So ill be making 78k... is that alot with 1 year experience? or should i look for another job. I live close to work. I dont love nor do I hate my work environment. Most of the PAs are older and are married. The nurses are all old, fat and ugly. Im thinking about making a switch to a fancier big name hospital in Manhattan. what do you guys think?

My first job out of school and i make 70k with full health benefits. I work in Internal medicine in NYC. Im 10 months into my job and im due for an 8K raise after a year.

So ill be making 78k... is that alot with 1 year experience? or should i look for another job. I live close to work. I dont love nor do I hate my work environment. Most of the PAs are older and are married. The nurses are all old, fat and ugly. Im thinking about making a switch to a fancier big name hospital in Manhattan. what do you guys think?

so what you are trying to say is you are wanting a new job with nurses that are easier to look at...WOW

From what I am finding out (the hard way...I am in the jobhunt/interviewing/offers phase) it depends on your area. I would look at what other PA jobs in your area is offering to see if 78K is reasonable for the area and specialty. That sounds kind of low but in my area it is different. Also looking for a new job, kind of testing the waters, wouldn't hurt....good luck

I'm an NP, and my first job out of school working in an emergency room, I make considerably more than that. Quite a bit more. I also turned down a job making even more than I make now to go with the familiar ER. I am also from a very rural area where the cost of living is really low. Around here, mid-levels can make around six figures starting out in ERs or other hospital positions or at least NPs do, and I'd assume that PAs do too. Physician offices are different, but I've been offered 90k in a rural area NP owned office. So, I would assume in NYC if you found the right place, you could make more than that. In some instances, PAs make more than NPs, but I had no intention, nor did anyone offer, of making below 80k for my first job out of school, and thankfully I didn't have to worry about even considering it.

I can't offer any advice to you about this...your value system regarding work seems to include social factors that I have never considered in my PA career. I certainly have never considered the physical attributes of co-workers!:-_-: Perhaps a job in plastic surgery would be a good choice??

I can't offer any advice to you about this...your value system regarding work seems to include social factors that I have never considered in my PA career. I certainly have never considered the physical attributes of co-workers!:-_-: Perhaps a job in plastic surgery would be a good choice??

all they do is eat doritos and cheese fries all day. The first thing the say when they sign in is whats eat

You realize that 78k is like $38/hr?? Most RN's make more than that! Bail on that job, get the hell out of Manhattan, the cost of living is WAY to high! Personally I would not even consider a job for less than 130k. But even straight out of school, my first ER job offer was 110k. Seriously, the weekend night nurses in this ER make $42/hr.

And work is always a little nicer if the scenery is good. Not a requirement, but a perk.

And work is always a little nicer if the scenery is good. Not a requirement, but a perk.

Hooooooooly s*** did I really just read this? How about you post a picture of your washboard abs and perfect bod, then? Just so I know whether or not to objectify you in any future work settings. Women are not and never will be here to be your scenery, joking or not.

I don't know what is in the water lately but the fact that anyone is even taking this thread seriously frightens me.

And believe it or not, this is still a male-dominated and very traditionalist field of work. A little more self awareness of inherent [white] male privilege from some of our posters would be good, yes?

Hooooooooly s*** did I really just read this? How about you post a picture of your washboard abs and perfect bod, then? Just so I know whether or not to objectify you in any future work settings. Women are not and never will be here to be your scenery, joking or not.

I don't know what is in the water lately but the fact that anyone is even taking this thread seriously frightens me.

And believe it or not, this is still a male-dominated and very traditionalist field of work. A little more self awareness of inherent [white] male privilege from some of our posters would be good, yes?

You are a perfect example of ridiculousness. It sounds like you are a Janeane Garofolo fan so stop hating on everyone and looking for racism, sexism, or any other -ism under every rock. By the way how racist are you to throw out "Priveleged white male"?? Wow you have racist issues you need to address. Not every white male is priveleged, not every "minority" male is underpriveleged. I work with plenty of black docs and their kids aren't going to public school buddy!!

Lighten up and if I wanna call the hot nurses here "scenery" I will! Hang on...............I just called one over and told her she was scenery and let her read your post......I won't tell you what she said about you. You may try to label her a racist or sexist or homophobe!

Your response is over-the-top and completely immature- this is my only post I have ever called out anyone on because you were perpetuating a stereotype that does not need to exist in our field, especially one where our patients are regularly completely helpless and exposed to us. Regardless of your work environment (trust me, I make awful jokes among my friends BECAUSE we are in a safe space and we know each other, I do NOT do this with strangers online), I ask of a little professionalism online when dealing with people across the country who may not be comfortable with the idea of being hired simply because we make for nice "scenery."

I won't get into any "ism" argument with you, however, I will encourage you to learn the full definition of racism and learn that whites (males AND females, me being one of them) can NOT experience institutionalized racism the same way as any other ethnic minority can. If a person insults you or treats you poorly based on your skin color, that's a singular episode and has no negative connotations built into it thanks to thousands of years of history behind it. IF you are white, which you may not be... don't act like you struggle whatsoever in your daily life, you (and I) have NO IDEA what it is to experience that sort of discrimination.

Your response is over-the-top and completely immature- this is my only post I have ever called out anyone on because you were perpetuating a stereotype that does not need to exist in our field, especially one where our patients are regularly completely helpless and exposed to us. Regardless of your work environment (trust me, I make awful jokes among my friends BECAUSE we are in a safe space and we know each other, I do NOT do this with strangers online), I ask of a little professionalism online when dealing with people across the country who may not be comfortable with the idea of being hired simply because we make for nice "scenery."

I won't get into any "ism" argument with you, however, I will encourage you to learn the full definition of racism and learn that whites (males AND females, me being one of them) can NOT experience institutionalized racism the same way as any other ethnic minority can. If a person insults you or treats you poorly based on your skin color, that's a singular episode and has no negative connotations built into it thanks to thousands of years of history behind it. IF you are white, which you may not be... don't act like you struggle whatsoever in your daily life, you (and I) have NO IDEA what it is to experience that sort of discrimination.

I am sorry you are so ashamed of being a white female. You have some self loathing issues. Not to mention you have been completely brain-washed by your leftist professors. Just from your post I can assume you are probably not long out of your undergrad education. As you mature you will see that most of the social agenda you have been taught is a lie. And by the way are you referring to the "institutionalized racism" (laughable term) that gets an underqualified minority applicant a job ahead of you or gets them into med school ahead of another applicant? It's funny to me that people who claim to be against racism are the FIRST to use race as a reason to promote??? Strange. Anyway....Good luck to ya I promise not to call you scenery.

I am sorry you are so ashamed of being a white female. You have some self loathing issues. Not to mention you have been completely brain-washed by your leftist professors. Just from your post I can assume you are probably not long out of your undergrad education. As you mature you will see that most of the social agenda you have been taught is a lie. And by the way are you referring to the "institutionalized racism" (laughable term) that gets an underqualified minority applicant a job ahead of you or gets them into med school ahead of another applicant? It's funny to me that people who claim to be against racism are the FIRST to use race as a reason to promote??? Strange. Anyway....Good luck to ya I promise not to call you scenery.

Wow, for someone that's supposed to be deep in the medical field you really have no idea what it's like for some of our less privileged patients. There is a reason why blacks have higher maternal and infant death rates - they are simply ostracized by the very people that should help them. I bet you are also a white man, as am I, and I am ashamed of what our people have done, whether actively (like the OP) or by being passive *******s that refuse to make it better (like you.). Women have done nothing to make them feel like they should be ashamed. NOTHING gets stupid white men more riled up than the smallest suggestion that women and not-white people have equal footing with them, and you are a perfect example!!! Equal footing, might I add, that doesn't equate to being "scenery". I am happy that at least one person decided to call the OP out for the sexist scumbag he is.

Hmm. No idea why I'm even bothering anymore, call me a masochist.

1. I didn't know that simply being aware of the fact that (this will blow your mind) racism still exists in the modern world = being ashamed of my own identity. I'm actually pretty damn proud to have gotten where I am based on my own merit and skill.

1a. Speaking of merit and skill, I find it interesting that you automatically assume that had a minority student been accepted to PA school in my place, it was due to affirmative action or reverse racism and not them simply being a better candidate than I am. Isn't it crazy how even those silly ol' blacks and Hispanics can earn their spot in the world just like us poor, degraded whites? I know it's really hard being able to travel just about anywhere in the world, or exist at almost any point in human history, or earn a role in any society without everyone around you asking "how" or "why" you got there. I'm sure with time you will adapt to these challenges and come out a stronger man.

2. It's amazing how despite being in a very conservative, Republican-dominated school system, and not going beyond the basic intro to Sociology or Psychology courses, I can still be brainwashed by my ~Leftist Professors.~ Isn't it great how we can form our own opinions through simple observation and awareness of the world around us, and not be force-fed our ideologies? That's what makes being human so awesome.

3. You seem to define racial privilege as material wealth and power. Which is why you think those two black students who are going to a private school are somehow never going to face racism, and in fact they probably stole those two spots from deserving white students because the school has a magical quota to fill. It has nothing to do with the socioeconomic standing of their father with his successful career that he would not have been able to obtain less than a century ago, and everything to do with how incredibly privileged they are. Alrighty. I'm sure they will feel the privilege just dripping off of them if they ever get a strange glance from some random person who avoids walking too closely to them in an unfamiliar setting.

Basically what I hope anyone out there reading my posts gets from this little exchange is this:

The first post was downright offensive. Maybe it was a poorly-written joke, but the slutty nurse stereotype and views on women in medicine in general is not perfect by any means, and NONE of you who jokingly went along are helping the matter. We still face salary disparities. We are still passed over in hiring because of the risk that we might decide to have a child someday, making us less "dependable." And we are still viewed as objects, trophies, or tools for your own use and conquering. This is not some crazy liberal feminist rant, this is a simple fact that exists in our world today. I hope if you ever have a daughter you deeply consider how you are going to act around her, how you are going to respect her no matter what job she chooses, whether it's at the top tier or not. I hope you teach her that no man should ever reduce her to a pair of boobs and a vagina or a piece of scenery that he somehow deserves to have prancing around in his workplace.

And for the love of god, act professionally online. Say all the racist, homophobic, sexist, idiotic things you want among your friends. That is your business alone. But in mixed company, use your damned brain. Censor yourself not because you don't want to offend, but because you understand that words have power and meaning and as a male, especially a white male, there are no insults in the world that have the same weight as you can levy on other people.

Hmm. No idea why I'm even bothering anymore, call me a masochist.

1. I didn't know that simply being aware of the fact that (this will blow your mind) racism still exists in the modern world = being ashamed of my own identity. I'm actually pretty damn proud to have gotten where I am based on my own merit and skill.

1a. Speaking of merit and skill, I find it interesting that you automatically assume that had a minority student been accepted to PA school in my place, it was due to affirmative action or reverse racism and not them simply being a better candidate than I am. Isn't it crazy how even those silly ol' blacks and Hispanics can earn their spot in the world just like us poor, degraded whites? I know it's really hard being able to travel just about anywhere in the world, or exist at almost any point in human history, or earn a role in any society without everyone around you asking "how" or "why" you got there. I'm sure with time you will adapt to these challenges and come out a stronger man.

2. It's amazing how despite being in a very conservative, Republican-dominated school system, and not going beyond the basic intro to Sociology or Psychology courses, I can still be brainwashed by my ~Leftist Professors.~ Isn't it great how we can form our own opinions through simple observation and awareness of the world around us, and not be force-fed our ideologies? That's what makes being human so awesome.

3. You seem to define racial privilege as material wealth and power. Which is why you think those two black students who are going to a private school are somehow never going to face racism, and in fact they probably stole those two spots from deserving white students because the school has a magical quota to fill. It has nothing to do with the socioeconomic standing of their father with his successful career that he would not have been able to obtain less than a century ago, and everything to do with how incredibly privileged they are. Alrighty. I'm sure they will feel the privilege just dripping off of them if they ever get a strange glance from some random person who avoids walking too closely to them in an unfamiliar setting.

Basically what I hope anyone out there reading my posts gets from this little exchange is this:

The first post was downright offensive. Maybe it was a poorly-written joke, but the slutty nurse stereotype and views on women in medicine in general is not perfect by any means, and NONE of you who jokingly went along are helping the matter. We still face salary disparities. We are still passed over in hiring because of the risk that we might decide to have a child someday, making us less "dependable." And we are still viewed as objects, trophies, or tools for your own use and conquering. This is not some crazy liberal feminist rant, this is a simple fact that exists in our world today. I hope if you ever have a daughter you deeply consider how you are going to act around her, how you are going to respect her no matter what job she chooses, whether it's at the top tier or not. I hope you teach her that no man should ever reduce her to a pair of boobs and a vagina or a piece of scenery that he somehow deserves to have prancing around in his workplace.

And for the love of god, act professionally online. Say all the racist, homophobic, sexist, idiotic things you want among your friends. That is your business alone. But in mixed company, use your damned brain. Censor yourself not because you don't want to offend, but because you understand that words have power and meaning and as a male, especially a white male, there are no insults in the world that have the same weight as you can levy on other people.

Thank you for a great post.

just to be clear when you involve business and stereotypes in any area of life you sometimes get crazy results..... and it is not just in medicine

my best friend works for a fortune 500 company - has been being groomed for the management position - it finally opened and corporate placed a minority female in the spot that had no experience, a lower degree, and no amazing bullets on her CV. They (behind closed doors) admitted that she was a "10 pointer" which is referening to the 5 points for female and 5 points for minotiry on civil service exams. This is a company that does a lot of defense contracting so the overall stats of the company matter

and personally - when I applied to med school about 10+ years ago all my advisors from college said I would likely not get in as I was a white male without the star studded application - forget I had a 30 on MCATS, had an honorable D/C from the USAF - had gone back and gotten an MBA - none of it mattered as my advisors told me I would have to be amazing to get in as a white male.

Just to be clear I am not throwing insults - I suspect I have benefited greatly from being a white male, but I just wanted to point out that there continues to be decisions made with reasons beyond simply job performance.

Wow, for someone that's supposed to be deep in the medical field you really have no idea what it's like for some of our less privileged patients. There is a reason why blacks have higher maternal and infant death rates - they are simply ostracized by the very people that should help them. I bet you are also a white man, as am I, and I am ashamed of what our people have done, whether actively (like the OP) or by being passive *******s that refuse to make it better (like you.). Women have done nothing to make them feel like they should be ashamed. NOTHING gets stupid white men more riled up than the smallest suggestion that women and not-white people have equal footing with them, and you are a perfect example!!! Equal footing, might I add, that doesn't equate to being "scenery". I am happy that at least one person decided to call the OP out for the sexist scumbag he is.

Pharm rep eh???? does anyone need to really talk about the kind of physical discrimination pharm companies are guilty of? Every single rep that comes in is physically attractive, male and female. This is obviously no coincidence. It's because of this that I find "treschic's" post to be very hypocritical.

Archived