(New username to preserve confidentiality)

I am a new grad and received my first job offer in the Southeast for ortho (spine).  I will work directly with my physician who is part of a larger group in a private practice.

The essentials of the offer:

Salary: $84,000

Hours: Two days/ week in the OR.  Two days/ week in the office (8-5:30).  1.5 Fridays per month in the office.

Bonus: Eligible after 6 months.  Based on my revenue, salary, and practice overhead. No specifics included.

PTO: 12 days per year, 7 holidays, no mention of sick days

CME: $2500 and 5 days paid

Fees: PA license fees, DEA, national and state PA professional membership fees covered

Insurance: Covered under practice policy ($1M/ occurrence, $3M aggregate)

Health insurance: Eligible after 90 days

401K: Eligible after 90 days. Practice to match 4%, 100% vested upon entry.

Profit sharing: Eligible after 1 year. 20% vested per year

Call: One week per 7.  $50 cell phone coverage.  Not to start until SP and I are comfortable doing so (mentioned 6 months).

ER call: First call 6-9 days per month.  $100 per on call day. General ortho call, NO spine call (covered by neuro). Again likely to start after 6 months.

The office would like me to shadow with the Doctor and other PAs in the office until I am fully licensed/credentialed.  To be paid at my "hourly rate."

I do realize the base salary is lower than average.  The SP is new (~2 years post-fellowship) and is looking for a PA to grow his practice with him.  We discussed this growth and salary reflection based on this (will get in writing).

Essentially, this is the exact job I am looking for (did spine surg, UE ortho surg, and neuro rotations).  This could be clouding my judgment; therefore, I am asking for help noticing anything out of the ordinary or things I need to inquire about. 

Any red flags/things I need to ask?

Thank you!

Thanks for the reply!

PTO will increase by 1 day each year after 2 years maxing at 18/year. (3=13, 4=14, etc...)

Great question about taking time off when the doc is out.  Per the offer, I will work with other physicians at the practice PRN as this occurs.  I will ask if this counts towards my PTO.  He mentioned at the interview that he likes to do presentations/cadaver labs and that I would be included if I choose (and financially compensated as well).

The extra $ is for ER call only.

Archived