Precepted NP student

I precepted my first student today! She normally comes in on the NP's shift, but the NP has a couple students. So, she asked if she could work with me. She told me that her program actually doesn't allow her to precept with me because I don't have a license! She seemed to believe it as well. Needless to say, some education took place today.

Wow. Just wow.

Someone needs to start a serious education campaign targeted for healthcare workers as well as patients to cover what a PA is. It can't be THAT expensive to run a few radio ads, google ads, maybe a couple late night TV spots. The blitz would pay off so quickly.

ETA: But congrats on your first preceptorship!

This is actually quite common, and something that I have spoken with the AANP about. Many NP schools will ONLY allow their students to be precepted by either an MD or another NP....they actually prohibit PA's from precepting their students.

We were running into that here in our ED, as we are just starting to have a new block of ACNP students here, which is comical, because I precept, and have 4th year Medical Students assigned to me routinely. So, after some long discussions with the school, it was decided that we as PA's could precept the ACNP students, but that their evaluation would be signed by the physician.....(which means, we will fill it out, hand it to them, and they will sign it). Best compromise I could get....

Many NP schools will ONLY allow their students to be precepted by either an MD or another NP....they actually prohibit PA's from precepting their students.

Oh. My. God.

Seriously, in reading this, I had to keep reminding myself it was for real! What a joke.

No license?? BWAHAHA. Yea, get this NP's, we even have a DEA#!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention more thorough training (there there dear, maybe no one will care that you don't rotate in Surgery).

What's REALLY funny is that they're trying so hard to bash PAs, yet PA median salaries are still (rightfully) higher. Waaa waaaaaaa.

If the NP is delegating that she spend time with you for a few hours it is fine. She is still the preceptor. I often have my students spend time with lots of different people. I will even contact people outside the office for them to spend a couple days with at times. It would be to her advantage to be with you b/c you have more time and no students then to get 3rd rotation on procedures,etc b/c of the other students. Make her feel "lucky".... b/c she is!!

• 10 months later...
Oh. My. God.

Seriously, in reading this, I had to keep reminding myself it was for real! What a joke.

No license?? BWAHAHA. Yea, get this NP's, we even have a DEA#!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention more thorough training (there there dear, maybe no one will care that you don't rotate in Surgery).

What's REALLY funny is that they're trying so hard to bash PAs, yet PA median salaries are still (rightfully) higher. Waaa waaaaaaa.

Ok calm down... pretty sure the student was referring to nursing license. I'm a BSN student and we "can't" precept under an RN (w/o a BSN) or LPNs. I'm sure it's not personal. Those rules are established by the school. Remember, PA's and NP's are governed by different bodies. (Medical board vs BON...Sure these legalities play into the discrepancy)

• Administrator
What exactly is your interest in precepting a profession that overinflates their qualifications and then screws our profession every chance they get?

How about "building goodwill at a personal level"?

My program has some NP preceptors, and some RN and NP guest lecturers. The NP guest lecturers were rather good; I suspect that's why they keep being invited back.

Ok calm down... [brevity edit]... I'm a BSN student... [brevity edit]...

Ummm.... little miss "BSN Student"...

This is the second thread that it seems you have felt the need to swoop in with your nursing cape billowing in the wind and your cap cocked to try to chastise someone about their comments about nurses or nursing.

First of all... the poster YOU felt the need to tell to "calm down"... posted his comment 11 months ago...!!!

Seems YOU are the one that needs to "slow down"... "calm down"... and pay attention to detail.

Second... YOU are not the ONLY nurse here (not even a nurse yet really since you haven't sat for the NCLEX). There are Lots of us here who have been there and done that for actual decades and who still hold licenses to prove it. So consider that some of the comments are from folks who were/are nurses (versus wannabes/soontobes) and are speaking from experience in and with nursing versus how YOU think things should be in nursing/healthcare.

Soo...

Considering that THIS is A PA forum, for PAs, owned, operated, and frequented by PAs.

You should probably strive to "read more... post less," thicken your skin against comments directed at nursing and spend more time with your NCLEX study guides and Nathan...:wink:

Archived