So, I'm a junior in college and I am REALLY REALLY interested in going into neonatology as a PA. After extensive searching, here's what I've come up with: PA's do not really work in the NICU. The ones that do are far and in between because the NICU is dominated by RNs and NNPs. Hospitals apparently don't want to train PAs to work in this setting? I really don't know. I've only found 2 residency programs for PAs interested in neonatology. However, when I asked other people, they tell me, "Sure, PAs can work anywhere where there is a residing doc."

I am currently conflicted as to what to do. I know for a fact that I want to be a PA and I've already put way too much much time, effort and money into it to go back now, but all the sources are telling me that once I'm certified I won't be able to work in the specialty I love. I honestly don't know what to do..should I continue on the PA route and hope for the best, or go the NP route and know for certain that I'll be able to get a NICU job?

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experience with me.  I haven't found many people who have NICU experience and am really eager to learn how to get there. Do you think PAs in the NICU will become more common in the future? Should I stick it out and fight for a NICU job once I'm there?

Thanks all!

I shadowed a PA who worked in NICU. She started in a private practice peds and then got a job at Kaiser Permanente. It does seem like NPs are more commonly in these positions though.

Really? Where was this?

I guess Im just looking for encouragement that it is possible to be a neonatal PA. This def. helps!

• 3 years later...

I don't know how I got here and I know this is an old topic but I think this is one of the first google results.

I'm a resident soon to be a fellow in the nicu and I'll tell you that PAs are very welcome in the nicu these days.  It's true that historically the field has been dominated by neonatal nurse practitioners but that's just not the case anymore.  In all the nicus that I've visited lately, it's been a mix of PAs and NPs.  

There are also now lots of nicu residencies for PAs - Kentucky, CHOP, Pitt, Nationwide, Seattle etc etc.  And if you just look for jobs, you will see lots of openings for PAs!

I'll just plug the field - you get autonomy, procedures, and really actually get to save lives.  And the outcomes these days are very good for most gestational ages!  It's VERY rewarding to go to a reunion and see all those micro preemies who are now in high school or college, doing great!

Also, especially at the community NICUs, there are no attendings in house at night at a lot of them.  You also go to the high risk deliveries and go on the transports (ambulance, helicopter etc)! So the people (usually 2 people) overnight manage all the babies  - including ventilated 500g babies - on conventional ventilators or oscillators.  If a surprise baby is born and needs intubations, central lines, etc - guess what?  That person is it, unless it's crazy and the attending has to go in.   There is one PA who works at a community NICU where we rotate who is a total badass.  That's who got me interested in NICU as a resident and walked me through my first intubation and my first line, and has taught me a ridiculous amount.   So you can have very thankful and appreciative residents too :)  

All the PAs at my institution seem really happy, for what it's worth.  

On the downside, you do have to be able to do nights and weekends for the rest of your career.  At my institution, the PAs do 3 12 hour shifts per week on average (I'd assume that's similar to places like the ER).  I don't know for sure how it's distributed or whether seniority plays a role, in terms of who does more nights/holiday/weekends but I think it's shared equally amongst everyone.  The only exception is I think if you're new, they make sure you are paired up with someone more experienced at night for the first couple of years.  

Archived