Are CNA's being phased out?

Not sure if it's like this other places, but rather than phasing out CNAs, my hospital has done away with LVNs.  Anyone that's currently employed as an LVN has to be in or enter school to be an RN by a certain time (5 years or something?).  All the nurses on my unit who were LVNs when I started as a CNA are already RNs, and it's very rare to have an LVN on the floor. 

Not sure if it's like this other places, but rather than phasing out CNAs, my hospital has done away with LVNs.  Anyone that's currently employed as an LVN has to be in or enter school to be an RN by a certain time (5 years or something?).  All the nurses on my unit who were LVNs when I started as a CNA are already RNs, and it's very rare to have an LVN on the floor.

My hospital system has done the same thing

I don't really see CNAs ever being phased out of an inpatient hospital settings. There will always be plenty of butts to wipe, as well as other tasks that RNs would rather not do. CNAs are cheap to employ, so why would a hospital hire more expensive labor (LPNs, LVNs) to do this work? At the large academic medical center I work at, LPNs/LVNs are limited to the outpatient setting -- they are only employed in the clinic, and function similarly to a medical assistant (rooming patients, giving injections, taking vitals, etc.). 

I work in a few settings that still use LPNs as interchangeable with RNs, due to cost I assume. the only actual difference is that an LPN can not hang blood or push cardiac meds. the other 98% of the rn scope of practice they can do. that being said, all the LPNs I know now are doing bridge programs to RN(for more pay) as these programs are 9-12 months and add a pay raise of about 33%

Yep, the hospital I used to work at was no longer hiring LVNs and expected the current ones to be working on a BSN.

In my area they are phasing out any nurses that don't have bachelor's degrees....I don't think they'd ever get rid or CNAs all together...especially not in nursing homes/assisted living type places....

that is mostly a hospital issue as a marker for a hospital getting national "magnate status" is the % of RNs with a bsn.

As an LPN it is true that LPNs are being phased out in almost all the hospitals here in the north east. My scope of practice here in the prison is the same as an RN. The exception is they can hang blood, push IV bolus, and triaging. But I go codes and perform all the other nursing duties.

As an LPN it is true that LPNs are being phased out in almost all the hospitals here in the north east. My scope of practice here in the prison is the same as an RN. The exception is they can hang blood, push IV bolus, and triaging. But I go codes and perform all the other nursing duties.

at our facility LPNs can push any drugs IV except cardiac meds, so they draw it up and hand me the cardizem, etc

Archived