Grades in PA school

With thirty years experience I can say that no one has ever asked.  In fact, I just recently realized after looking at an old copy of my transcript that they left off a rotation grade though they have the rotation itself listed (yes, I completed the rotation and successfully met the requirements for graduation).  That being said, no one has ever asked me about a PANCE/PANRE score either. 

I had one hospital that only granted interviews to new graduates with 3.5 gpa or higher and required us to bring PA transcript and PANCE scores. No other hospitals required it, but another required a letter from the PA programs dept chair saying you were in good standing in the program and if they would recommend you. But if it's a great GPA certainly include it on your resume. It can't hurt, as it not only shows intelligence but also the ability to succeed in a demanding, stressful environment in not just the classroom but in clinicals too. 

• 2 weeks later...

My program gives pass / fail grades on the transcripts for the didactic portion of the program (although we do get a letter grade it does not show on the transcript).

My understanding is that the only letter grades that will be on a transcript will be those from our clinical rotations / preceptors. Knowing this has really pulled our class together and got rid of the gunner mentality. The end result is that we've been the highest scoring class ever at our program.

It's interesting what happens when you get rid of competition and have everyone work together to achieve the same goal (passing classes and getting that initial behind our name PA-C).

Just wanted to throw it out there that the real prize in the end is passing the PANCE and along the way you should have done well enough with your clinical rotation that you would be offered a position before graduating.

The grades themselves don't matter unless your applying to residency. Taking a test is a game, and to win that game you need to know how to play. This is NOT the same as knowing the material. Of course, knowing the material is a requirement to play, but a lot more goes into it than simply knowing the material, especially for those wanting to score a 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My program gives pass / fail grades on the transcripts for the didactic portion of the program (although we do get a letter grade it does not show on the transcript).

My understanding is that the only letter grades that will be on a transcript will be those from our clinical rotations / preceptors. Knowing this has really pulled our class together and got rid of the gunner mentality. The end result is that we've been the highest scoring class ever at our program.

It's interesting what happens when you get rid of competition and have everyone work together to achieve the same goal (passing classes and getting that initial behind our name PA-C).

Just wanted to throw it out there that the real prize in the end is passing the PANCE and along the way you should have done well enough with your clinical rotation that you would be offered a position before graduating.

Obviously I plan on doing the best I can in PA school regardless of where I go but right now I have to choose between two programs: Pacific University uses Pass/No Pass and Loma Linda uses grades. Like what you've said, Timon, I love the fact that the gunner mentality is removed with a pass/no pass curriculum but my problem is Pacific doesn't even give grades for clinical year. It is -all- credit or no credit. If for whatever reason I decide to apply to a residency program after PA school am I going to be ineligible if I don't have a GPA?

Aivi you probably will still be eligible. My program does not give grades at all for the entire program. We still see our scores on exams, but they do not show up on our transcript at all. Several students from my program have applied to and gotten residencies where GPA cut offs were a requirement. Those students just had the school calculate their GPA for them based upon their exam grades so that they could apply. 

Archived