DOT certified medical examiners

The test is not that hard. You are mainly expected to know the statute so be sure to read that. The classes help you focus on key issues but your instructor will tell you that the test comes directly from the statute. The online classes are quite expensive compared to the live course I took for $225.

I conduct 2 or 3 DOT physicals yearly and the doc in the practice does about the same number.  I am not planning on taking the course and will not be doing the exams.  i discussed this with the doc nearly a year ago.  Just a few days ago his nurse comes to me and asks if I'm aware of the new regulations for certification for DOT physicals.  I say..."yes, I've been aware of that for over a year and discussed with the doc over a year ago.  I am not getting certified as it is not worth the time and effort for 3 physicals a year.  He can take the course if he wants."    

I almost suspect he will try to get me to take the course and then slide all those patients (all 6) into my schedule so he won't have to log in each month and report to the gov't how many DOT exams were done.   He is a horrible time manager and paperwork poor compliant person, and I cannot see him doing any of the requirements.   Ugh. But then he delegates all that stuff for the RN to do for him.   Drives me crazy and I am ranting. 

Thanks for listening!!!!!!  

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing the NADME one. It is very good and through and is likely preparing me to pass the certifying exam. But, oh my, it is quite boring. They have multiple modules and questions/scenarios after the modules to reiterate the knowledge and force me to remember the salient points. Also qualifies for up to 18 Cat 1 CMEs.

A couple coworkers went to a Mayo course (they have them at a few locations all over US) and they were there for 8 hours and found it to be worthwhile. I wish I had done that so it would have been one day and done, but this NADME course is very thorough. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

If you're looking for solid review material without paying a ton, you might want to check out the DSG. It stands for DOT Study Guide. They just updated their materials to include audio versions of their popular e-book review guides. 

They just emailed out a coupon code for PAs ("physicianassistant") to get 40% off anything. Go to dotstudyguide.bandcamp.com

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2017 at 8:21 PM, ProudtobeaPA said:

If you're looking for solid review material without paying a ton, you might want to check out the DSG. It stands for DOT Study Guide. They just updated their materials to include audio versions of their popular e-book review guides. 

They just emailed out a coupon code for PAs ("physicianassistant") to get 40% off anything. Go to dotstudyguide.bandcamp.com

Agreed! I just took NRCME, and DOT Study Guide saved my butt! Get the mnemonics! 

-SammyJ

Archived