Doc asked me if I want to watch open heart surgery?

The more exposure you have to the culture of medicine, the better. They eat their young in the OR and ask for seconds. If you show up there playing "only here to boost my application" attitude, you will have a miserable time. I highly recommend you re visit what can be gained from attending the surgery. If you can't find anything positive, you may want to re examine what you hope to gain from medicine in general.

I'd say it depends on the facility. Some have allowed me to touch the heart, after scrubbing in properly, others may not.

At spinal procedures done with a microscope, with arthroscopic procedures, etc. you never need to scrub in if you're just observing. You are right, most of the anatomy is appreciated with a live video, especially if it's a minimally invasive procedure. Still, the experience of actually touching a functioning organ is quite breathtaking.

I wouldn't go so far though as to decide whether or not surgery is right for you after just one experience like this. It can be overwhelming at first, or even boring when you have to observe several of these in a row. Try it a few times at PA school, and at your rotations, to see if the specialty might just be right for you.

Not to be rude, but why is this in the Professional PA section?

Also, and yes this might be a little rude, it doesn't matter if you think you might be interested in cardiothoracic surgery or not -- not every last little thing you do can, or could, or should be perfectly tailored to your imaginary application. Don't be that guy.

• Administrator
Not to be rude, but why is this in the Professional PA section?

Also, and yes this might be a little rude, it doesn't matter if you think you might be interested in cardiothoracic surgery or not -- not every last little thing you do can, or could, or should be perfectly tailored to your imaginary application. Don't be that guy.

+1, but I'll add that even asking the question shows that the OP is either insufficiently motivated, insufficiently intelligent, or purely trolling. No one who is legitimately interested in any sort of career in medicine should even ask.

Archived