Should I apply? Very little HCE

I was wondering if I can get some feedback from you guys regarding if I should apply this cycle or not.

I've completed my GRE, I received a 156 math, 150 verbal, and 4.5 essay

I have three rec letters: one from the head of a lab where I did my phlebotomy internship, another doctor who's now a teacher and a PA that i've shadowed.

What's making me doubt my chances is HCE. I've volunteered at an ER for 130 hrs and I completed my phlebotomy internship for 120 hrs. This is all I have when it comes to working with patient or being in a hospital. I've tutored kids/adults for years in different things but I'm assuming that doesn't help that much.

The main issue is I can't find a job/volunteering opportunity with my certificate. I still have to take the exam to be licensed. I completed my internship last month and haven't had any luck with finding a job or a volunteer position. I've applied to over 10, with no positive response and am still applying.

Should i still apply (December is the deadline for the universities that I want to get into) or wait until next year and possibly do another program (CNA) to get more quick exposure?

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks

I was in a similar situation last cycle and I think you should hold off on applying unless you have a really stellar GPA. I have a great GPA and a lot of volunteer and shadow hours but virtually no HCE. Most schools don't accept training hours (which I had a hundred of through EMT school).

Last time I applied I ONLY applied to schools that didn't require HCE hours and my app was in by September. I got a no from every school, when I followed up with them they pretty much stated that even though they don't require HCE most everyone has it anyone so it is expected and it was the downfall of me being invited to any interviews.

Since that year I have been able to accrue HCE hours without rushing it.

My first time applying I had no HCE and a sub 3.0 GPA. I did get an interview and although I didn't get in, the experience of applying and going through the process helped tremendously the next application cycle when I did get accepted to a program. So it's up to you if you want to spend the money or not. I know one school that only cares about GPAs and doesn't look or value HCE at all. You can always try for a program like that if you feel the need to apply.

I applied this cycle with only 500 hours (all volunteer and shadowing hours). My science gpa is 3.9 and overall 3.55. I am currently working full time as a CNA so just in case I dont get in this year, I can use these hours next year.

I still think you should apply, just to see how the process is. You might even get an interview and can experience the process. I have not heard anything yet from schools so still not sure how it will turn out. Just keeping my fingers crossed!

Archived