Hello all,

I used the search function and couldn't find anything relevant, so I'm sorry if this topic has popped up a few times without my notice. I'm a new graduate student - my school offers a "fifth year free" program where students can earn an accelerated masters' degree and attend courses free of charge. I double majored in Biology and Psychology and am currently doing some neat genetics stuff for the Bio program - my eventual goal is to become a Psych or Neuro PA.

Between the double major and annoying liberal arts requirements, I was unable to fulfill all of the courses that most PA schools look favorably upon. I'm taking some of them this term (namely Biochemistry), but my school won't allow me to register for non-graduate level courses. I was interested in taking Microbiology, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to take it the normal way (for credit). Does anyone know whether there would be any value in auditing the course? I'd like schools to know I have some experience with the material, but I don't see the point if it's just going to be blown off. Of course, I'd LOVE it if the audit was accepted for general credit (instead of needing to pay to take the course somewhere else after this), but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Hello all,

I used the search function and couldn't find anything relevant, so I'm sorry if this topic has popped up a few times without my notice. I'm a new graduate student - my school offers a "fifth year free" program where students can earn an accelerated masters' degree and attend courses free of charge. I double majored in Biology and Psychology and am currently doing some neat genetics stuff for the Bio program - my eventual goal is to become a Psych or Neuro PA.

Between the double major and annoying liberal arts requirements, I was unable to fulfill all of the courses that most PA schools look favorably upon. I'm taking some of them this term (namely Biochemistry), but my school won't allow me to register for non-graduate level courses. I was interested in taking Microbiology, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to take it the normal way (for credit). Does anyone know whether there would be any value in auditing the course? I'd like schools to know I have some experience with the material, but I don't see the point if it's just going to be blown off. Of course, I'd LOVE it if the audit was accepted for general credit (instead of needing to pay to take the course somewhere else after this), but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Nepenthe,

I was in a similar situation. My biology degree also did not require micro because the university I attended had 8 different biology majors, all specializing in a particular aspect of biology.

What I did was I just took micro at a community college. It was much cheaper to do than at UC San Diego. I don't really see any point in auditing a class as you do not get any credit for it whatsoever. That is, unless you were worried about not doing well in the course and you wanted to be exposed to the material ahead of time before actually taking it. Otherwise, I would not waste my time.

If you haven't already, set up an appointment with an academic advisor. It might be worth seeing if they can give you an override. If you go there and tell them the story that you posted here, they may help you out. I don't know if you'd be able to take the class for free. If you are willing to pay for it, however, you may have better luck. A lot of times schools set up policies that are in the right spirit, but can cause problems for students like yourself. Just talk to a human and see if they can work something out.

Don't audit. Like EMED said, consider taking it cheap at a community college.

There are also some place that offer micro online with some type of "virtual" lab component - the University of New England comes to mind. The online courses are usually not inexpensive, but they might allow you to get the course completed a little more quickly.

Archived