Applying to multiple PA Programs

When applying to programs does the amount of programs I apply on CASPA make a difference in whether a school will consider me as an applicant? I know some people apply to just one PA program and others to multiples. I was actually thinking of applying to around 10-15 PA Programs on CASPA. Also when you submit your application to schools will they be able to see what schools you have applied too? I am afraid if they see I have applied to many schools then they will think I am not very serious about wanting to go to their program.

Thanks for your time!

Ryan

Hey gang

It's your future. Apply to as many as you can afford. Programs should expect you have. It would be silly for a program to expect loyalty from an applicant when they won't guarantee selection. So don't fret this issue.

At GWU, we just had our second round of interviews. We don't use CASPA but I asked every applicant if they applied to other programs and all had. I would have been surprised if they hadn't. I encourage it.

Thanks for the responses.

Well I am glad to know that schools will not be able to see what programs I am applying to. This will be my second time around applying to PA schools and I want to make sure I have a good chance of getting an interview.

Good luck to the rest of you who are applying.

CASPA programs can only see that you applied to their programs. Data is not shared by CASPA on how many, or where applicants apply. You should carefully select the programs you apply to, no matter how many. Due to the sheer volume of applications received at programs vs. the number of available seats (19,800 vs. 7,200 in 2012), it can be difficult to get an interview, or an acceptance offer. So plan carefully, research the program(s) you wish to apply to, be sure you meet or exceed their prerequisite requirements, and apply! For more information, visit http://www.pafocus.org. Best of luck!

applying to multiple programs is ok. if you are a reasonable applicant 5 is probably fine. 10-15 is overkill. a friend of mine applied to 30. way overkill. she got into her #1 choice and wasted literally thousands of dollars on travel, apps and secondaries.

play to your strengths when you apply. know yourself. if hce is your strength, apply to places that value hce. if you have great grades and only ok hce don't apply to an hce powerhose program unless it is your "reach" school.

same as undergrad

for example:

reach school : harvard/princeton/yale

good fit school: good private/state program

backup: ok state school

In my experience, most schools will not care where else you apply to. If an inquiry is made during your interview, it is likely that the school is either:

1. trying to get a feel for who their "peer group" is for that admission cycle

or

2. trying to determine if you used a rational thought process to determine which schools you chose to apply to.

When applying to programs does the amount of programs I apply on CASPA make a difference in whether a school will consider me as an applicant? I know some people apply to just one PA program and others to multiples. I was actually thinking of applying to around 10-15 PA Programs on CASPA. Also when you submit your application to schools will they be able to see what schools you have applied too? I am afraid if they see I have applied to many schools then they will think I am not very serious about wanting to go to their program.

Thanks for your time!

Ryan

Some of the schools that I applied to asked what other schools have I applied to on their supplemental application so keep supplementals in mind

Some of the schools that I applied to asked what other schools have I applied to on their supplemental application so keep supplementals in mind

Just because someone asks, doesn't mean you have to answer. I just want to point that out. In fact, if you apply to 15 schools (overkill) I would recommend censoring yourself when responding to this question. Might need a second sheet of paper.

Archived