Chaperone

Hello, I have a question in regards to genitalia exam on a male or female patient by a male or female PA. Is it required to have a chaperone by law? Or is it just a precautionary measure that is voluntarily taken by a PA or other provider. If it is a legal issue, can I have proof? My sup provider insists I do these exams without a chaperone to prevent pulling MAs from their duties. I expressed my legal concerns, but she insists it is ok.

Call your state board medical examiners. Boundary and sexual impropriatry issues abound in each state, and I believe the boards, under their statements of policies, will have addressed this. And expect it.

One charge. One time. Is all it takes.

And I wonder how forthcoming your doc will be in your defense, especially if the clinic is named as a co-defendent..

You are right to make this an issue.

Agreed with the above. Let's put it this way...I refused to conduct a phlebotomy because a provider conducting an exam in the second bed and insisted on the door to the room being closed (hospital). That meant two males in a room with two females. I expressed my issue with the door being closed. In the end, it wasn't a hill worth dying on, so I just waited until he was done and then went and did what I had to do. Communicated it to both the nurse manager on the floor as well as my supervisor. Both said I was right for having an issue with being a male, in a female room and door closed.

Like stated above, all it takes is one accusation and you're done.

Archived