SJVC c/o 2013 applicants FYI

Hi,

I came across this forum and read some of your posts. Frankly, I am quite shocked at the unprofessionalism depicted in some of your posts. First of all, I don't know any other program directors who spend so much time on PA forums and scrutinize applicants regardless of whether names are used or not. As a program director, it is important to portray professionalism and neutrality especially when prospective students are reading your posts. Program directors are supposed to represent their program with integrity, class and professionalism and unfortunately, your comments show that the PA program lacks all of these qualities. If I were the program director, I would be more concerned with improving the PA program at SJVJC than spending needless amounts of time posting on these forums. During my research, I found that the PA program there was recently risk for losing its accreditation. The overall pass rate for the boards is somewhere around 84 for your students which is significantly lower then the national average.

Finally as for your comments about the student sending the box of chocolates; this is something that should be kept between you and your staff members not publicly posted on forum at the expense of that student.

As for your comment about not shaking hands because you don't want to get sick....Really????? Really??? I hope you weren't serious. PA's are around sick people all day and a good PA would never tell his patients that he rather not shake that person's hand because he or she " doesn't want to get sick."

I'm just saying...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very cool...thanks for the updates...got pretty quiet lol...this forum is lucky cause I'm sure not all directors update ....I didn't send the candy btw...LOL

Most don't, but don't think they are not members or that they are not "lurking"...lol is that the term? The program is looking for a very specific applicant pool, and over the years I think the forum has helped us develop one. It's also part of the ARC-PA standards to inform prospective applicants about the program. IMHO the Forum is helping the program meet accreditation standards.

I know you didn't send the candy, I know who sent the candy...lol. We're not that kind of program either.

LesH

Hi,

I came across this forum and read some of your posts. Frankly, I am quite shocked at the unprofessionalism depicted in some of your posts. First of all, I don't know any other program directors who spend so much time on PA forums and scrutinize applicants regardless of whether names are used or not.

You're right others don't. Sorry if you feel I am unprofessional. I would admit to being atypical, but we can agree to disagree.

As a program director, it is important to portray professionalism and neutrality especially when prospective students are reading your posts. Program directors are supposed to represent their program with integrity, class and professionalism and unfortunately, your comments show that the PA program lacks all of these qualities.

If you have an issue with me then make it with me and don't project that on the program. What you seem to know about the program hasn't been accurate or reflect the accomplishments of the faculty and students. If you don't like me that's cool.

If I were the program director, I would be more concerned with improving the PA program at SJVJC than spending needless amounts of time posting on these forums. During my research, I found that the PA program there was recently risk for losing its accreditation.

With all due respect. I do. Your reseach or at least your presentation is extremely inaccurate. The program was required to provide the ARC-PA followup information. The information was submitted and a site vist was conducted to verify the documents. The "adminstrative probation" was removed. A program can also be put on adminstrative probation for not paying fees. What is required is providing and verifying the information asked. Our site visit for full accreditation is this year. We have been continuously accreditied since 2003.

The overall pass rate for the boards is somewhere around 84 for your students which is significantly lower then the national average.

With all due respect let's get the facts straight okay? The overall pass rate is around 97% the first time pass rate is 84% There are only three graduates of the program that have yet to pass the boards.

Finally as for your comments about the student sending the box of chocolates; this is something that should be kept between you and your staff members not publicly posted on forum at the expense of that student.

We can agree to disagree. I was helping that applicant (if they are forum members they know who they are). The ADCOM does not know who it is, it couldn't impact their ranking score one way or another as the process goes. So the intergrity of the process is maintained IMHO. There's no expense to the applicant. Now they know what to do and what not to do.

As for your comment about not shaking hands because you don't want to get sick....Really????? Really??? I hope you weren't serious.

Yes, I am sorry for not explaining it well. If you interviewed, you would have done it in a small conference room with up to eight people in the room. The CV climate ranged from rain to sprinkles most of the time. So room temp control was not the best. We spent eight hours in the room that was either a sauna or an icebox seeing 15 people a day. The CV was in the middle of a run on URIs and Bronchitis. Every one of the interviewers got either a URI or bronchitis. We needed to cut down on the amount of exposure for all concerned (us and the applicants). Sorry for not clarifying.

PA's are around sick people all day and a good PA would never tell his patients that he rather not shake that person's hand because he or she " doesn't want to get sick."

I agree and I am sure that the interviewers that when on to see their patients shook their hands prn. If we were seeing patients and not doing interviews we would shake their hands. Then go and wash our hands before touching and after the patient encounter. We were't being rude and we told most of the applicants that. Sorry.

I'm just saying...

LOL. You bring up some interesting points. I'm sorry I am not like the other Directors and you have such a low opinion of me. I started out in PA education running prePA recruitment programs, I guess I always like that part of my career and miss talking to prePAs. I will take your advice, concerns and comments under consideration.

Thank you. Good first post.

LesH

Hi,

I came across this forum and read some of your posts. Frankly, I am quite shocked at the unprofessionalism depicted in some of your posts. First of all, I don't know any other program directors who spend so much time on PA forums and scrutinize applicants regardless of whether names are used or not. As a program director, it is important to portray professionalism and neutrality especially when prospective students are reading your posts. Program directors are supposed to represent their program with integrity, class and professionalism and unfortunately, your comments show that the PA program lacks all of these qualities. If I were the program director, I would be more concerned with improving the PA program at SJVJC than spending needless amounts of time posting on these forums. During my research, I found that the PA program there was recently risk for losing its accreditation. The overall pass rate for the boards is somewhere around 84 for your students which is significantly lower then the national average.

As for your comment about not shaking hands because you don't want to get sick....Really????? Really??? I hope you weren't serious. PA's are around sick people all day and a good PA would never tell his patients that he rather not shake that person's hand because he or she " doesn't want to get sick."

I'm just saying...

Yumikindred, I think its cute that you would use your first official post on our forum to show disparagement. I think it was Christ himself that once said "Forgive them for they not know what they do" would seem more than appropriate in your case. If you knew Anything about this program or the weight for which this PD carries, you would find that the joke is most definitely on you. Honestly, I dont blame you. In fact I feel bad for you, youve displayed what is common in those doomed for failure. Im just saying...

Hi,

I'm just saying...

Hmm, where to start, where to start....ok, I think we'll begin with your 1st post and your ident yourself as a NP in community health. You should appreciate the fact that SJVC puts more practicing PA's in primary care than most other schools. Les came through at some point recently and discussed that number with us, sorry Les it was in one ear out the other, I've been preoccupied with Jed's adult med final this week. If you like, Les has the numbers and will share them with you.

Now, how many program directors do you know? I know one, may meet a few more in Vegas in June but as it stands, just one. Oh, if you will notice the majority of his post are usually wee hours of the am so I really doubt it gets in the way of running his unit. I thought I was an early riser.

My interactions with Les have always found him to be completely professional, even when I was ripping on NP programs and their students in clinicals he politely reminded me the differences in the programs. (I was repeating a friends observation when he did his PA clinicals)

The accreditation thing and the 1st pass percentages, my two questions last year in my interview. Both answered by Les and given the same info he gave you on here. Don't put a lot of credit in our 1st pass numbers, we are a small program. My class has 19 right now and if we graduate 19 and 2 people fail 1st time we have 89% pass rate. If bigger schools that graduate 40 and have 2 fail then they are 95% pass rate. Oh, and the reason I asked those two questions was not because I was concerned, just that I needed two questions to ask. I worked with a few PA's from SJVC so I felt I knew a lot about them going in and that was all I could come up with to ask.

Ok, the hand shaking thing. Well, I wouldn't wanna be shaking 162 peoples hands the way bugs have been flying around the valley the last 3-4wks. Just about everybody in our class has been sick, I've been/was an ER nurse for 18 freaking years with all them rug rats hacking and coughing on me and my fellow students got me sick. We've been going through chlorox wipes by the case in our class these last few weeks. I almost feel like getting a bubble for around my desk.

Ok, in closing I'd just like to say that many of my responses have been somewhat lighthearted and not as serious as the accusations you have made. I challenge you to find anyone in PA academics, or in practice, in this state that has any disparaging remarks against the PD at SJVC. As far as the program, the numbers speak and Les has them and the fact that during our clinical year we can be placed from Tehachapi to Modesto, Taft to Orange Grove and all places in between says a lot about the ties the SJVC PA program has to the Central Valley community.

Before you start saying that I'm just some student coming on here to defend my PD, it's not that. He's a grown man and can take care that himself. I'm here because I find it a personal insult to me in your remarks about my program. Also, not on here trying to play suck up, not my thing, I prefer to fly under the radar at school.

Finally, couple questions to you. Why are you, as a NP, researching PA programs?

Why is your 1st ever post a direct assault on one persons integrity?

(side note on that, you just joined this month so you can't claim you've been around here for years just never posted)

Are you a prePA that maybe got turned down at SJVC or something, maybe had an interview and you folded under pressure and now trying this to make yourself feel better?

Dunno, but honestly I smell a troll.

Hi, I came across this forum and read some of your posts. Frankly, I am quite shocked at the unprofessionalism depicted in some of your posts..... etc.......

I will weigh in from the forum perspective.

If you remain an active forum member and read posts regularly, there are a few things you will notice. First is the abundance of posts from pre PAs and PA students regarding the application process, programs specifics etc. The second is the dearth of input from programs or PA leadership. We have the occasional visit from folks in the AAPA, state chapters, and some programs...but the one reliable source from a PD we have is Les. He has been a mainstay of the forum for some time now. His input on PA education and professional issues is invaluble. I can't imagine how reassuring it would have been as a PA applicant to have a PD updating the process, and most importantly, speaking to applicants is a mature and professional manner.

Having been on this forum for many yrs now, it is actually humourous that Les' postings would be considered unprofessional given the context of some other crazy/hyperbolic/disrespectful postings we gave seen here in the past.

We should only hope that more members of the PA community in education and leadership would find the time to address the thousands of PAs/PA students/Pre PAs who frequent the forum. It is an audience eager for information which has shown the initiative to seek out answers.

Your ire directed at Les is misdirected at best; from what I know of his posts here, it is insulting.

But hey I'm "just saying".....

Well put.....I agree x100

I will weigh in from the forum perspective.

If you remain an active forum member and read posts regularly, there are a few things you will notice. First is the abundance of posts from pre PAs and PA students regarding the application process, programs specifics etc. The second is the dearth of input from programs or PA leadership. We have the occasional visit from folks in the AAPA, state chapters, and some programs...but the one reliable source from a PD we have is Les. He has been a mainstay of the forum for some time now. His input on PA education and professional issues is invaluble. I can't imagine how reassuring it would have been as a PA applicant to have a PD updating the process, and most importantly, speaking to applicants is a mature and professional manner.

Having been on this forum for many yrs now, it is actually humourous that Les' postings would be considered unprofessional given the context of some other crazy/hyperbolic/disrespectful postings we gave seen here in the past.

We should only hope that more members of the PA community in education and leadership would find the time to address the thousands of PAs/PA students/Pre PAs who frequent the forum. It is an audience eager for information which has shown the initiative to seek out answers.

Your ire directed at Les is misdirected at best; from what I know of his posts here, it is insulting.

But hey I'm "just saying".....

I agree Les don't let this person discourage you. Your input is greatly appreciated. You are someone that the forums can rely on for advice, and encouragement.

I along with many others believe that more PD's should get involved with the potential applicants like you do.

I have only been on here for probably 2 months, but I'm sure you have been an inspiration to many aspiring PA's, and it is people like you that help the profession grow.

So please don't let his comments ruin it for those in the future.

Thanks,

Richard

I doubt more input is required, but I have to add my comment as well, so it is painfully OBVIOUS that the one post was NOT an opinion shared by, it would seem, ANYONE on here. Les, I believe I have thanked you for your candid comments and generous updates a minimum of 1,024 times and still feel the sentiment was not accurately conveyed. This forum and especially the posts by Les have been, not only extremely helpful, but also incredibly comforting in this extraordinarily stressful time. Relating to the PD as a human being and not a "Wizard of Oz" is one of many things that sets this program head and shoulders above the rest. After all we are all adults here. Why would you ever feel the need to hide from your professional and adult students or use smoke and mirrors to portray yourself as lofty and inaccessible? SJVC's program is dedicated to helping students succeed, not to feeding the egos of the staff, nor to making an already stressful event, even more difficult (a process that all in the business have undoubtedly been through). The goal is to produce the best possible PA's, that will be able to work in our under-served communities, and care for this population. How exactly does public criticism of a program that accomplishes just that, in any way lend to the attaining of that goal?? IMHO the only thing unprofessional on this forum was the single inflammatory post in political mudslinging fashion, from someone obviously not even privy to the accurate information. "I'm just saying"..................Please Les, for our benefit and the continued piece of mind for all the future students, keep the posts coming!!

Archived