SJVC c/o 2013 applicants FYI

With a positive attitude and hopes high I am getting as much in order as possible should I get accepted. Does anyone know the schedule for the didactic portion of the program? I believe it is five days a week, if I am not mistaken, but am unsure of the hours. Good luck on your interview! Is everyone here local to the Visalia area, or coming from outside of the area?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SerenityJH77;289624 hopes high I am getting as much in order as possible should I get accepted.

hummm. I think the SJVC students get what they need. Just saying.

Does anyone know the schedule for the didactic portion of the program? I believe it is five days a week, if I am not mistaken, but am unsure of the hours.

The Program consists of six 16–week terms (including summers). This includes 3 terms of didactic course work and 3 terms of clinical rotations and coursework. During the first 3 terms, classes may be scheduled between 1:00 pm– 9:00 pm Monday–Thursday with classes on Fridays from 9 am –noon. As students start their clinical coursework, schedules are determined by the clinical site. Students are expected to be on clinical rotations a minimum of 128 hrs per month.

Is everyone here local to the Visalia area, or coming from outside of the area?

The majority selected will be from the CV or those that demonstrate potential to serve in the CV.

We are a mission driven program...

Thank you for the information, it was very helpful!! :) I am certain that the program gives us all we need for academic success..My comment was strictly in regards to trying to prepare my personal life for a big transition. I am a single parent and sole income, and although I have done much planning for the eventuality of the program, there are many details I need to have worked out. I'm not big on "loose ends" LOL! The high hopes were that my planning will pay off this year!!! Sorry if my comment came across wrong...

With a positive attitude and hopes high I am getting as much in order as possible should I get accepted. Does anyone know the schedule for the didactic portion of the program? I believe it is five days a week, if I am not mistaken, but am unsure of the hours. Good luck on your interview! Is everyone here local to the Visalia area, or coming from outside of the area?

I'm Richard, and I am coming from Lancaster, CA.

Hi Richard! I lived down that way for a while... My son was born at Antelope Valley Hospital..Welcome to the Valley!

Oh very cool, I've been at Antelope Valley Hospital for the past 9 years. I worked in the NICU for the past 4 years.

Nice to meet you. Yea San Joaquin is a lot nicer and greener than the AV...LOL

Okay folks, the last interview question has been answered. We are moving into selection. As you all know, there were more applications to consider than usual. This is a very competitive pool for us. Hopefully, this is just going to take us another two weeks to complete. Selection is always the hardest part for both the applicant and the ADCOM. Like other programs we notify applicants selected by phone first then letters follow. Thank you for your interest in the SJVC Primary Care PA Program.

Good luck in your future PA endeavors,

LesH

and remember to BREATHE....;) I know I am ;)

Okay folks, the last interview question has been answered. We are moving into selection. As you all know, there were more applications to consider than usual. This is a very competitive pool for us. Hopefully, this is just going to take us another two weeks to complete. Selection is always the hardest part for both the applicant and the ADCOM. Like other programs we notify applicants selected by phone first then letters follow. Thank you for your interest in the SJVC Primary Care PA Program.

Good luck in your future PA endeavors,

LesH

My son was in that NICU for two weeks when he was born, but that was a long time before you were there. To be honest I hope it has improved with time. I had zero medical knowledge at the time, so I didn't really know any better. But looking back on the entire experience, both the OB and NICU experiences were a nightmare. I'm sure a ton has changed in 14 years though!

My son was in that NICU for two weeks when he was born, but that was a long time before you were there. To be honest I hope it has improved with time. I had zero medical knowledge at the time, so I didn't really know any better. But looking back on the entire experience, both the OB and NICU experiences were a nightmare. I'm sure a ton has changed in 14 years though!

Yes were in a new building. Dr. Thangavel is still there, he should have been the doctor that took care of your baby. Sorry you had a bad experience...NICU and OB can be so unpredictable just like EMS.

10 years experience...that's pretty awesome did you work out here? And are you a emt or paramedic?

I know these are stressful times for all, us included. This process has not be an easy one. You have heard the stats on the applicant pool.

Update: accepting 24, not the 23 mentioned at the time of the interview. The alternate list is not ranked and one can be on it up to the first week of class. We (read Monica) calls to notify those selected and those on the alternate list. The number of alternates is TBD prn. We may have to adjust based on applicants going to their first choice.

Now, here's the deal, and I'm being up front. There's going to be good news for some and not so good news for others. It's just the way it is. Sorry. Please do not have a meltdown on the forum. Read CraigK's post about his ADCOM experiences. If I think about it there are several in his class that have similar stories.

Once we get all the letters out then we will have time to answer questions if one wants to reapply. A number of folks that get in reapply after they do everything we recomend. There are also some that aren't a good fit for this program based on different reasons. It's just the way it is. Sorry.

This is what I have observed about the ADCOM's decision making process this year. Science GPA, potential to practice primary care in the CV, amount and type of HCE, remain the big things to the ADCOM. Having below a 2.75 on science prereqs was a big ding, we recommend a 3.0.

The interviews were interesting. Seems like a lot of folks applied to Stanford, MVC and SJVC this year. Yes, we can have a rough interview. There were alums, faculty, staff, another California PA Program Director, PAs that are Assistant Medical Directors, sit on state regulatory boards, SAAAPA, and CAPA BOD. Lot of people in that conference room at times.

We had a lot of applicants that either just out and out didn't know anything about the program (must not be forum folks lol) or playing the numbers trying to get in anywhere. The interview can be rough with up to seven people firing questions at the applicant. Or just as intense with two people playing good PA educator, bad PA educator..lol. Those seem to be actually worse I think. Applicants have to be able to remain poised under pressure. Most of our graduates end up in rural (I mean rural) clinics and ERs ...that's pressure. If an applicant folds during the interview it's another ding from some ADCOM members.

I see why some programs recommend or require shadowing, but I don't think some applicants understand the connection to making the application stronger for our program. If one applies to a program that is known for training primary care PAs, shadowing a primary care PA is what some on the ADCOM want to see. If one wants to make points with the ADCOM. No disrespect to my specialty brother and sister PAs.

The LAC+USC and Mt. Sac prep programs produce very polished applicants. I think those pre-PA programs are doing a good job at what they do and recommend them to prePAs. I don't know how its going to be with Lee leaving but you can tell folks are well prepared for an interview.

I would like to make a few more comments. As many of you found out, we are not a "shake your hand" at the interview type of program...lol. We are not being rude, we just don't want to get sick. Make sense? We are also not big on thank you cards. If you send them just send them to Monica. Just saying. And to the applicant that sent a box of candy to the admission people... really? Really?

Please don't call Monica or Debbie to see if you have been selected or where things are in the process. They are not authorized to release any information, it just slows things down and you will be doing something the PD said not to do. Just saying. We are on task, and yes the class has been picked.

All selected will be notified by April 1, 2011.

Good luck in all your future PA endeavors;

LesH

Archived