Taking Pance for 4th time.....

"If YOU or I can't pass a "standardized" test in a quiet climate controlled room... that we have been practicing for... for 24 months (the entire pA program) because WE "get anxiety, and freak out"... Then what are we going to do with/for the diabetic, Renal patient in DKA or VT/V-Fib...???:confused::confused::confused:"

Yes Contrarian, that is a good point.

And I do agree with you.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kimyann...If you still check on this thread...I know you're frustrated, and you may or may not like the advice that you are receiving but you cant discount or degrade it simply because someone is a student. A lot of people going to PA school had careers before and can offer their experience that way, after all, who better than a teacher to give you advice on how to study? You claim that some of us cannot give you advice because we don’t know your background; well you didn’t offer your complete background so how can anyone offer you detailed accurate advice? No one can, not even the people that you would prefer to have answers from (and let me tell you, there are some of them that still won't give you tactful answers).

As students many of us have been subjected to standardized tests which is exactly what the PANCE is. Granted, many of them just test your knowledge as opposed to being pass or fail but the point is we have taken them and would like to offer advice on what WE did that may help you. You can say "Duh, I already did that" "Please don’t assume that I am stupid" "I tried everything" so on and so forth, but how are we to know that you did if you didn’t say you did in the beginning? By giving you that advice, no one is assuming you are stupid, by your lack of information they are assuming that you hadn’t tried that yet. The PANCE can't be the first standardized test that you have ever taken so how did you do in the others? If you did well in the others, what makes the PANCE so different for you? Are you going in more nervous each time because you’ve pt so much weight on this test?

Any who, I think you have received some great advice such as visiting a local PA program and speaking with the director there or work with someone who can customize a learning plan for you ( I understand that you may not have a lot of money so the 1st choice might work better). If you can't go, try calling; Gannon seems to have a pretty nice staff not sure how far they are from you. Do you still keep in contact with anyone from your class? Maybe see if they old be willing to tutor you....sometimes working with someone in the field that you're studying is beneficial plus they make sure you are studying the right thing.

I do have a question......did you do one of the direct entry programs in PA?

Yeah... no shock for the VT/V-Fib... and no O2/IV fluids/insulin administered, but you actually don't freak out because you don't even recognize that the patient is in DKA...:rolleyes:

Reminds me of an incident the other day. Working with the blood bank I see my share of "reactions" however this was my first time to see someone vomit and pass out completely. :eek:

Charge calls for cold towels and Im still taking care of my donor while two girls go for the cold towels (they dont need me--I mean how many people does it take?) so I guess the third girl was so confused on the next step that she decided to run back and forth, 4 times, up and down the mobile (I work on the blood mobiles) till it struck her....."hey how about I elevate her feet and grab an ammonia capsule"---funny thing is....shes been there longer than me:rolleyes:

Yeah... no shock for the VT/V-Fib... and no O2/IV fluids/insulin administered, but you actually don't freak out because you don't even recognize that the patient is in DKA...:rolleyes:

I have some samples of insulin but no O2 or defibrillator in the office. EMS better hurry.

I have some samples of insulin but no O2 or defibrillator in the office. EMS better hurry.

The point is... YOU recognize what it is... and in a pinch can strip the cord out of a table lamp and plug it in...:eek::D

The PACKRAT/PANCE/PANRE... like most "standardized" MULTIPLE-GUESS exams... tests your ability to conceptualize.... NOT simply memorize...

Um, no offense but.... they have defibrillators in the airport, grocery stores, malls, etc. If those places have them, dont you think we should have them? Especially when we actually know what to do with them. I dont think an office is a medical one without necessary emergency supplies.

chris

kimmy what were your grades like in PA school? we had one student who consistently struggled with 40-mid 50s - and, hence, they haven't been able to pass PANCE and its been 1 1/2 years... PA schools aren't doing favors passing students who do poorly during didactic/clinical testing.

That actually surprises me that they were able to graduate with those grades. What was the minimum to graduate?

The program I am starting in the Fall has a minimum req of a 3.0 avg per semester. If you drop below that overall avg one semester you have one more semester to make it up then you get kicked out if you dont bring your overall gpa up to a 3.0 (out of a 4.0 scale).

-Shawn

I'm surprised too but I don't know the details. I imagine the overall grade had to be passing to progress from one semester to another.

I very much agree that a program does no favors to the student by passing him/her if s/he is unable to meet standards. Heck, I feel this same way about high school and here we are passing kids along who can't read...but the minimum standards in PA practice are much, much higher, and the stakes are a lot higher too.

That actually surprises me that they were able to graduate with those grades. What was the minimum to graduate?

The program I am starting in the Fall has a minimum req of a 3.0 avg per semester. If you drop below that overall avg one semester you have one more semester to make it up then you get kicked out if you dont bring your overall gpa up to a 3.0 (out of a 4.0 scale).

-Shawn

I'm surprised too but I don't know the details. I imagine the overall grade had to be passing to progress from one semester to another.

I very much agree that a program does no favors to the student by passing him/her if s/he is unable to meet standards. Heck, I feel this same way about high school and here we are passing kids along who can't read...but the minimum standards in PA practice are much, much higher, and the stakes are a lot higher too.

Yea I guess I should say that it SCARES me that they were able to graduate still if they were constantly, from what I understand, failing their tests.

Guest lisnek
Yea I guess I should say that it SCARES me that they were able to graduate still if they were constantly, from what I understand, failing their tests.

it shouldn't scare you - but the point is these people aren't even passing PANCE - so, they never practice!!!!!!!!!

awful, i swear. in essence, some programs are too lienent (that looks poorly spelled, oops). some are too "nice" and want to see people succeed. not a bad mission, if the students are truly capable of succeeding!

Well this has been an interesting topic. While I really feel for the OP, you really have to wonder if everyone is cut out to practice as a PA. Graduating from the program and passing the NCCPA are the MINIMUM requirements for being a practicing PA. What about those patients that are depending on your clinical judgement, they need to know that you know what you're doing. I would have strong reservations of becoming a PA, if I had failed the PANCE 3 times. With that being said, I think you just need to relax while taking the test, try to eliminate as many answers as you can right away. Try reading the answers first, sometimes that helps. I graduated from King's College, although 18 years ago. In your defense some what, we hired a Kings grad 2 years ago, and although she passed the boards, she was very poorly prepared initially when she started, but has come along well. Good luck, if you need help from on Kinger to another, then PM me and we'll get ya to pass.

it shouldn't scare you - but the point is these people aren't even passing PANCE - so, they never practice!!!!!!!!!

awful, i swear. in essence, some programs are too lienent (that looks poorly spelled, oops). some are too "nice" and want to see people succeed. not a bad mission, if the students are truly capable of succeeding!

True, True. But what about those people that squeak by? I dont know maybe I am reading to much into this!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ex01954

Never feel that you are alone. I have also taken the PANCE 4 times in 2 years and failed 4 consecutive times. Each time I studied harder and stayed focused. I only failed by a few points the last time. So believe me, I know what you are going through.

What I did is a combination self study and group study with current PANCE material. I will break my current preparation plan down:

1. Get 2 or 3 CD Roms with current review questions and answers. These usually have 300+ pre and post test sections. Take the pretest on all the CDs and see how you do.(Pay attention to the answer rationales)

2. Based on the sections/systems you pass, start your main review on the ones that you do poorly on (ie Pulmon, Derm etc).

3. Once you master the material through review, then return and take all the Pretest again. Once you pass, then move on to a condensed review of all system using a good review book.

4. After the book review, take the post test on all CD Roms.

5. Solicit to study with graduating PA students at a near by school.

The key is to identify and spend more time on the systems and concepts that you tend to be weaker in. Also, spend more time on the systems that have a higher percentage of material content on the NCCPA blueprint.

I went to the Cook County Hosp/Malcolm X College program. I am your friend and not your enemy. You must focus on the here and now. I know you can pass the PANCE and be successful as a PA-C. I am going to retest and pass the PANCE in May. I control the test, the test does not control me. I became a PA to serve the indigent and less fortunate. I owe it to God, my family and the patients that are in need of quality health care.

Take care and let me know if I can serve you better.

Guest lisnek
Never feel that you are alone. I have also taken the PANCE 4 times in 2 years and failed 4 consecutive times. Each time I studied harder and stayed focused. I only failed by a few points the last time. So believe me, I know what you are going through.

What I did is a combination self study and group study with current PANCE material. I will break my current preparation plan down:

1. Get 2 or 3 CD Roms with current review questions and answers. These usually have 300+ pre and post test sections. Take the pretest on all the CDs and see how you do.(Pay attention to the answer rationales)

2. Based on the sections/systems you pass, start your main review on the ones that you do poorly on (ie Pulmon, Derm etc).

3. Once you master the material through review, then return and take all the Pretest again. Once you pass, then move on to a condensed review of all system using a good review book.

4. After the book review, take the post test on all CD Roms.

5. Solicit to study with graduating PA students at a near by school.

The key is to identify and spend more time on the systems and concepts that you tend to be weaker in. Also, spend more time on the systems that have a higher percentage of material content on the NCCPA blueprint.

I went to the Cook County Hosp/Malcolm X College program. I am your friend and not your enemy. You must focus on the here and now. I know you can pass the PANCE and be successful as a PA-C. I am going to retest and pass the PANCE in May. I control the test, the test does not control me. I became a PA to serve the indigent and less fortunate. I owe it to God, my family and the patients that are in need of quality health care.

Take care and let me know if I can serve you better.

your post was thoughtful and genuine, however, should you even be giving advice seeing that you have attempted and failed 4 times yourself?

no pun or offense intended...i swear.

just thoughts.

Guest ex01954

Yes, I should be giving advice. Just because a person has failed a test does not mean that they are any less of a person. Even though I failed the PANCE I am still successful in business. I own property and now have the financial resources to concentrate on the test. I also have a Masters degree. I did not see that anyone else try to assist with a plan other than sticking their nose up or just being derogatory. Not passing the PANCE has not made me less than you or anyone else.

I make six digits even without passing the PANCE. I have also spent over 20 years in the Military. So your comment is just your comment. God created this earth and all that we see. I am trusting in him as my savior to overcome obstacles and not people. You should be careful in responding to other peoples suggestions. I think your intent was mean spirited and you do not understand struggle. So your comment is your comment and yes I can give advice because I was honest. On the other hand, some people have failed before and just don't own up to it in the forum. Lastly, if you did so well, then you make an evaluation and recommendation to assist.

Just trying to help your attitude.

Guest lisnek
Yes, I should be giving advice. Just because a person has failed a test does not mean that they are any less of a person. Even though I failed the PANCE I am still successful in business. I own property and now have the financial resources to concentrate on the test. I also have a Masters degree. I did not see that anyone else try to assist with a plan other than sticking their nose up or just being derogatory. Not passing the PANCE has not made me less than you or anyone else.

I make six digits even without passing the PANCE. I have also spent over 20 years in the Military. So your comment is just your comment. God created this earth and all that we see. I am trusting in him as my savior to overcome obstacles and not people. You should be careful in responding to other peoples suggestions. I think your intent was mean spirited and you do not understand struggle. So your comment is your comment and yes I can give advice because I was honest. On the other hand, some people have failed before and just don't own up to it in the forum. Lastly, if you did so well, then you make an evaluation and recommendation to assist.

Just trying to help your attitude.

it probably didn't need to be said. i didn't mean it to be mean spirited. certainly i am not the only one thinking it. i apologize for hurting your feelings. your original post had some wonderful advice for people unable to pass PANCE and thats what should be focused on, not the fact that you are giving advice and haven't passed yourself.

i needed a tune -up. thank you.

Still am amazed that someone can't pass it ----four times. But not for the reason you think.

You spend a few years getting ready for school, three years in school (debt up the %$#@) and then can't manage to pass a test for two more years. It makes me wonder how badly you want it. I do not mean to be putting you down, but if your entire life is on hold then FIX IT. Do what ever you need to do to pass the test. AND PASS THE TEST. To try and fail four times just seems to say that you are not going the extra mile. As a few posters have said - you are "working in surgery" (accepting not passing) or "making six figures from realestate"(fun thing to do).

Come on folks - medicine takes sacrifice. Personal Sacrifice. Your future patients need you to be able to pass a standardize test, to demonstrate that you possess the knowledge to help them. So put your life on hold, study your asp off, don't go out on weekends, live/breath/sleep/eat medicine and you will pass. Do flashcards till you puke and note sheets till you pass out.

Working a full time job and have a social life and little bits and pieces of knowledge learned in school gets farther and farther away and less likely to pass, dooming you to not pass. Sacrifice will get you there (don't flame me that you have sacrificed to this point, you are working full time) I didn't study for PANCE or PANRE and passed but I fell asleep on my books for 2.5 years straight at 11:30pm and still have 100-200 hours of CME per year, it hurts at time but it is worth it.

Just my $0.02 worth

Guest ex01954
it probably didn't need to be said. i didn't mean it to be mean spirited. certainly i am not the only one thinking it. i apologize for hurting your feelings. your original post had some wonderful advice for people unable to pass PANCE and thats what should be focused on, not the fact that you are giving advice and haven't passed yourself.

i needed a tune -up. thank you.

Thread,

I did not intend to be harsh toward you (life is too short). I understand where you are coming from. My intent was to let the individual know that they are not alone and give moral support, not preach to them. I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I want to thank everyone that has given helpful suggesstions and informations towards being successful on the PANCE. Thank you.

ex01954

• 4 weeks later...

hello there

I took the PANCE once and passed it, very lucky!

G. Washington said "if you give me 6 hrs to chop down a tree, I'll take the first 4 hrs to sharpen the blade!!!"

This is very true. this mean to be very very efficient, know your limits, know the "MOST/BEST/EXCLUDE/ ALL" statements. the questions are designed to test your knowledge, not to stress you out!

Remember your first intuition is the best answer for that question.

The night before the exam, good rest, lots of fluids, exercise 3-4 hrs before bed, do not study that night, mellow out with 1/2 glass of wine, listent to music/relaxations/warmth hot long bath/, take low dose of benadryl for sleep.

On date of exam, get up at the right time, eat a healthy breakfast, drink a little of coffee, DO NOT REVIEW INFO!, take B-blocker for performance anxiety 30 mins before test, go in there and kick butts

good websites to look at resources www.merck.com [sign up as a health care PA on L. hand side] to help with your studies.

best of luck, 5th time is a charm!!!

Archived