Taking Pance for 4th time.....

Hi........well, i am hoping someone out there may have some encouragement or advice for me.......i am about to attampt the PANCE for the 4th time in 2 yrs.........it has been 2 yrs since i graduated and i am so frustrated and feel so helpless about this.....does anyone know anybody that has had to go thru several attempts to get certified?......i am not afriad to talk about it, since i know that i know the material and succeeded through my program.......i am feeling very let down by my school, feeling that we were left very unprepared, or should i say we could have been more prepared for this exam........expecially some of us that aren't that great of test takers, but are great in the clinical setting............i have been close to passing and with each test am getting closer now, but after 3 times of preparing and being disappointed, it has really given me like a mind block in the preparation process and i find myself having the worst time now trying to get ready........i almost don;t want to study anymore......sometimes i wonder how many times a person can go through this process and keep their sanity?.......how do i continue to pick myself up and go again?......it is soooooooooo hard to be in this position 2 yrs later, no one would ever think it would happen to them..........and the worst part is that there is not one ounce of opportunity to work in the field.....i even have a prior surgery degree, and i have tried to stay working in medicine while trying to pass this, but no one will even give you a chance knowing your status, and assumming that once you pass you will hightale it out of that job and onto your new PA career..............this is the worst thing i have ever had to go through in my life, and i was wondering if there are any others out here that going through the same thing???........I AM A 'PA'......i know that and no one can take that away from me, i earned it.......but i am just praying so hard for a change here, and some reassurance that i have suffered through this process for so long for a reason..........any advice is surely appreciated from some of you more seasoned folks....thanks.........kim

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have never faled the PANCE, but I sure failed at a lot of other things!

It is natural to question yourself and your abilities when faced with your situation. However, you were a hard charger at one point, otherwise you would never have made it this far!!!! You have gotten closer to passing each time you tried, so it stand s to reason that you are going to eventually nail it. Just focus on the reason you started down this path and you will make it and this will all be behind you.

Don't worry about the support that your school has given you. They already have your money and you have your diploma. That is the past. Get your study guides and get cracking. You and only you are going to pass that test, unless God miracles your grade. Sometimes prayer helps!

If you have failed once. Taking the stance that "you know the material but are just a bad test taker" is fruitless. Accept your failure, it has happened. It happened because you didn't do something right. Now, stop making excuses and figure out what that is. Likely, you need to study more.

As a teacher I have had TONS of students tell me "they are just poor test takers but they know the material." My answer to that is always, "ok, lets have an oral exam right now. 5 questions." When I give them the oral exam do you know what they do? fail miserably! Sure, some people are good test takers.. It is usually because they know the answers.

I am sorry to be blunt, but if you want help thats the help that is out there. Study, do tons of practice questions, because if you aren't passing then you don't know the material.

chris

thanks caldje for your bluntness.....and trust me, i do know where my weaknesses are, but i do have to say that your words are also easier said than done......i don;t think after 3 times taking it, that i have any reason to make excuses for myself, and the info that i shared is only the tip of the iceberg of the unpreparedness of my program.....so know that before you take the stand that it is just my not studying and being in denial or whatever.....you do not know what i have been through during this journey unless you share my position......i am, sorry, but i am bitter, and i do have many reasons to be............i never said that i couldn't do better myself, and i have enough study materials to use...........and have successfully passed everything in the program, so that should be enough to show that i know that material, and i wish they did have an oral exam........i even wrote and asked the NCCPA after faling twice, if there was any way i could take the test privately to read my questions out loud if that would help me, and course they denied it saying that it wasn't a documented disability.........my thought are this..........if there is a student that did well otherwise, but is having trouble like this with this exam, has taken it several times, and paid enough $ several times, then why can there not be help given when a possible request like that is made........not that i want preferential treatment, but considering that i have already taken it several times and am still struggling, why can't there be an help to give people every opportunity to succeed......they sure have no problem keeping all the money every single time............who knows, that simple small request, might end up being just what was needed to help that person to pass and utilize that ability that they obviously have...........i feel like no one understands what i am trying to say, or how i feel............i am not stupid, i know what i need to do and i am trying to do just that, but please dont; judge my reasons unless you know the past behind them.............not so nice things happen in many programs i am sure, and this is one of them............oh yeah......my preceptor for my 3 month family practice was just indicted on patient neglect resulting in death, and prescription drug abuse for pain mgmnt resulting in 4 overdose deaths.........this was all going on while i was there.......nice mentors we had no choice but to be with and not learn from......trust me, there is a lot of reason for animosity to my program for this and other reasons.........i am sorry, but it is unfortunate because the students are the ones to pay the price in many ways.

While everything that you have said is true, the fact remains that there is only one person that is going to pass the PANCE, and that is you. The woulda coulda shoulda has to stop now, for your own good.

Never reinforce failure. Cut your losses with whatever you are doing to try and pass the test.

What works for me is testing under similar conditions because the way that you train is the way that you will perform under fire.

What I do is get as many test banks as I can and go through the tests one question at a time. Get tests that have explanations of why a question is right and what answers were wrong and why. Over time, you will learn all essential facts.

Focus on areas where you tend to do poorly on the tests. If you are aceing ER, then don't study ER.

I have 2 books and I will send them to you if you promise to return them, or buy me new ones when you are a rich PA.

Attend the review. Chances are high as hell that this one week will make all of the difference.

One last thing that I would do since we are all brothers (and sisters): You are in PA. I would just go to the nearest PA school since there are a few of them there, approach the PD, tell them you are a triple crown and you need help. Unless the dude or dudette is a total jerk, I bet they would help you out of professional loyalty. But whatever you do, don't disparage your own school or you will become an instant paraiha. Same goes for making excuses. Just tell him that your school offers no assistance to those who fail the PANCE so you are looking for someone who might be of assistance. Just state the facts: " I need help and you are a professional educator. If only one person in the world cares, I know that it would be you."

And chances are, if your school is as bad as they say, he/she probably already knows and will be more inclined to help.

Every moment explaining yourself is a test question that you could have locked down. Focus on the test. Ignore the rest. And don't borrow sorrow from tomorrow!

thanks caldje for your bluntness.....and trust me, i do know where my weaknesses are, but i do have to say that your words are also easier said than done......i don;t think after 3 times taking it, that i have any reason to make excuses for myself, and the info that i shared is only the tip of the iceberg of the unpreparedness of my program.....so know that before you take the stand that it is just my not studying and being in denial or whatever.....you do not know what i have been through during this journey unless you share my position......i am, sorry, but i am bitter, and i do have many reasons to be............i never said that i couldn't do better myself, and i have enough study materials to use...........and have successfully passed everything in the program, so that should be enough to show that i know that material, and i wish they did have an oral exam........i even wrote and asked the NCCPA after faling twice, if there was any way i could take the test privately to read my questions out loud if that would help me, and course they denied it saying that it wasn't a documented disability.........my thought are this..........if there is a student that did well otherwise, but is having trouble like this with this exam, has taken it several times, and paid enough $ several times, then why can there not be help given when a possible request like that is made........not that i want preferential treatment, but considering that i have already taken it several times and am still struggling, why can't there be an help to give people every opportunity to succeed......they sure have no problem keeping all the money every single time............who knows, that simple small request, might end up being just what was needed to help that person to pass and utilize that ability that they obviously have...........i feel like no one understands what i am trying to say, or how i feel............i am not stupid, i know what i need to do and i am trying to do just that, but please dont; judge my reasons unless you know the past behind them.............not so nice things happen in many programs i am sure, and this is one of them............oh yeah......my preceptor for my 3 month family practice was just indicted on patient neglect resulting in death, and prescription drug abuse for pain mgmnt resulting in 4 overdose deaths.........this was all going on while i was there.......nice mentors we had no choice but to be with and not learn from......trust me, there is a lot of reason for animosity to my program for this and other reasons.........i am sorry, but it is unfortunate because the students are the ones to pay the price in many ways.

I do hear what you are saying and althought I didn't go through the difficult times it sounds like you've had I can see how much they have had an effect on you.

My point is, that your post still reflects on the past. At the moment, your past is not what you need to focus on. I'd like to see you come on here and post something in regards to what subjects you had the lowest scores in, if there is anyone near you willing to form a study group, explaining what YOU have done to fail these times. Everything in the post you just made was about someone else. WHat have you done yourself (a) to fail (b) to fix the things that sent you towards that path.

In regards to poor programs.. At least half of our training is done almost entirely independent from our programs (clinicals). Although some programs have better set ups than others it is hard to believe that after 2500 hours in clinical practice someone doesn't learn enough to form the backbone necessary for studying for the PANCE.

Again, I hear what you are saying and I can definately see how it can be frustrating. You are welcome to PM me and I will send you a word document FULL of practice questions I have written. Sure, Im just a student but these are free and I have written explainations for all of the answers which I have rsearched in various texts such as Nelson's, Harrison's etc.

you can pass this time,

chris

ok.. here's an idea and a plan for you.

go to www.nccpa.net and download the blueprint. For each disease write one page of notes in this format.

Definition:

Etiology:

Pathophysiology:

Signs and Symptoms:

Physical Exam:

Differential Diagnosis:

Laboratory Testing: (the gold standard tests for the condition)

Treatment: No dosages, only the most common treatment.

When you are done, come on here and post them in the PANCE forum. Start a single thread where you will post them all. There are TONS of people on here who have passed the PANCE and will look and tell you if you have what you need to know on these notes.

good luck,

chris

ok.. here's an idea and a plan for you.

go to www.nccpa.net and download the blueprint. For each disease write one page of notes in this format.

good luck,

chris

man, that sounds like an aweful lot of work! But I bet you would know it at the end!

Can you send me your test bank questions?? I did send you some Coke-cola codes once or twice!

Guest pizzapizza
Which program did you graduate from...???

King’s College

Physician Assistant Program

133 North River Street

Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711

570/208-5853

Email: sesedon@kings.edu

Credentials Awarded: M

CASPA Participating Program

Guest padanielle

Chris,

Would you be willing to share your test bank questions with me too? I know you don't know me, but I would GREATLY appreciate it!!!! Thank you! Danielle

what is a coke-cola codes?

Coke rewards codes on the inside of the cap. Drink enough coke and you can prove it, you get a big prize at the end, like end stage reanl failure or something...

An even trade for a test bank full of questions.

I changed my mind.. Im not going to post them on my website because they may become the property of my school next semester and I don't want to "publish" them on a website yet until I am sure they aren't going to be used in that capacity. SO, if you want them, PM me and I will Preply with the word file.

Sorry,

Chris

Kimyann:

I can't imagine your frustration with taking the PANCE 4 times and still not have that PA-C behind your name. There are several really good board reviews around the country that offer a refresher of board topics that might be a smart investment of your time and offer a different way of presenting the information that is core to your knowledge base for success not only in passing the boards but in your fundamental knowledge needed to practice as a competent PA. Also, plenty of on-line resources to back up the PANCE blueprint of diseases.

Just curious if you have ever had similar problems taking exams before? I am assuming that you did not as you passed your program requirements without problems BUT your situation sounds so much like someone who has an underlying,undiagnosed learning disability.

I was just curious for some reason and was seeing if your program has a bad track record.

http://departments.kings.edu/paprog/

This is strange. Look at their PANCE results.

Based upon the premise that few people will ever check up on them!

All the more reason to have a page on either the AAPA or here that has an unbiased list of stats so we can check independently, just who has the best pass rates.

On a side note, I don't think the OP said they went here, wasn't it a different poster that posted this school?

Maybe US News and worlrd report could post them????

Definition:

Etiology:

Pathophysiology:

Signs and Symptoms:

Physical Exam:

Differential Diagnosis:

Laboratory Testing: (the gold standard tests for the condition)

Treatment: No dosages, only the most common treatment.

Chris,

IMHO, your suggestion only works if the O.P. is purely a visual learner.

If the O.P. has been doing practice tests as written, reading the review books, etc., it is quite feasible that he/she is NOT a visual learner, therefore, taking the time to do as you suggested is not worthwhile.

For me, a mixed auditory(mostly) and visual learner, I learn BEST just listening and taking few notes, or when I study, studying with music on in the background because if I can't remember the answer or information, by "hearing" the song in my head that was playing at the time, my recall improves.

Your advice for someone like me would not be helpful.

Kimyann,

I have known two physicians that had difficulty passing their boards--one of them written and one of them oral-- exams. Both of these docs were VERY intelligent and excellent clinicians and I wouldn't have hesitated to have them treat me or any member of my family.

After each failed their boards 3 times, they went to see psychologist that specialized in education. She is a very good friend of mine.

Anyhow, she helped each of them set up a study program that was appropriate for their learning style AND that would help them pass their boards. She discovered that one of them did indeed have a disability and he was granted certain allowances during his orals to accomadate his disability.

Each of the docs ended up passing their boards after making the changes needed.

A colleague of mine who's nephew is in PA school--actually graduates this week--was on the verge of being kicked out of the program because of his test scores. He had SEVERE test taking anxiety that truly interfered with his exam performance. He started seeing a psycologist and ultimately was able to utilize strategies that helped him sail thru his end of clinical rotation exams and the exams required to graduate. Actually, the improvement in his test scores was phenomenal, from barely making 70 to now scoring in the mid to high 90's.

My suggestion: you may want to consider going to see someone that can help you identify any underlying issues that may be affecting your performance on PANCE. While this type of evaluation and subsequent visits are not "cheap" given the $$ you invested in your education to become a PA-C, it may end up being mone very well spent.

Chris,

IMHO, your suggestion only works if the O.P. is purely a visual learner.

If the O.P. has been doing practice tests as written, reading the review books, etc., it is quite feasible that he/she is NOT a visual learner, therefore, taking the time to do as you suggested is not worthwhile.

For me, a mixed auditory(mostly) and visual learner, I learn BEST just listening and taking few notes, or when I study, studying with music on in the background because if I can't remember the answer or information, by "hearing" the song in my head that was playing at the time, my recall improves.

Your advice for someone like me would not be helpful.

Kimyann,

I have known two physicians that had difficulty passing their boards--one of them written and one of them oral-- exams. Both of these docs were VERY intelligent and excellent clinicians and I wouldn't have hesitated to have them treat me or any member of my family.

After each failed their boards 3 times, they went to see psychologist that specialized in education. She is a very good friend of mine.

Anyhow, she helped each of them set up a study program that was appropriate for their learning style AND that would help them pass their boards. She discovered that one of them did indeed have a disability and he was granted certain allowances during his orals to accomadate his disability.

Each of the docs ended up passing their boards after making the changes needed.

A colleague of mine who's nephew is in PA school--actually graduates this week--was on the verge of being kicked out of the program because of his test scores. He had SEVERE test taking anxiety that truly interfered with his exam performance. He started seeing a psycologist and ultimately was able to utilize strategies that helped him sail thru his end of clinical rotation exams and the exams required to graduate. Actually, the improvement in his test scores was phenomenal, from barely making 70 to now scoring in the mid to high 90's.

My suggestion: you may want to consider going to see someone that can help you identify any underlying issues that may be affecting your performance on PANCE. While this type of evaluation and subsequent visits are not "cheap" given the $$ you invested in your education to become a PA-C, it may end up being mone very well spent.

thanks maryfrann, you certainly make good points.

I hope he/she pursues something, I have not heard from him/her regarding the materials I sent out, only other folks. lol. But it sounds like there is help out there if she wants it and that should really be comoforting...maybe even motivating...

chris

Archived