Taking Pance for 4th time.....

Dont give up!

Kimyann if you are still reading this post, dont give up!!!! remember you are in step 9. you have acomplished everything so just relax, study, and pass this board. it seems to me you know the material and you just need alot of practice test to play with. just practice alot and believed me you will develop this instinct on figuring out the right answer, sometimes you will know the answer reading through just halfway tru the sentence.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was a good suggestion to go to another school's program. Who knows you may even be able to find a study group to study with. But like previous posters have said you need to make changes in the way you are studying and preparing. A classmate on the verge of failing out of the program.... kept saying "I am just not a good test taker" when a few of us offered to "tutor them" it quickly became apparrent that they were studying the wrong stuff..... granted their test taking skills do need some work, but they kept coming back to it as their "crutch" and more than once we had to be blunt and say "fine, do it your way but you are failing" they made changes and are now passing the exams. Plan and simple it was their study methods, not their test taking skills.

Everyone learns in a different way be it auditory, visual, tactile etc... whatever you have been doing the first 3 x has not worked so find a different way. If you've been studying alone find a group, even if it is back at the program you graduated from. Whatever the case you need to find a new way.

Also check out the local Community Colleges in your area, many of them have seminar's available to help those that are not great test takers.

Good Luck

if you guys still havent gotten em pm me. one person's got returned, wrong email address or something.

chris

p.s. regarding the WORD file I sent... do you guys like the format of the first few questions? Is there a way I could improve it as I continue writing explainations and review tables/objectives?

thanks

i am still here, but have not been around for a bit......have been kind of frustrated by some of your remarks to tell you the truth........thank you to some of the professionals that gave some good advice, but with all due respect to some of the students that have replied to me...i thank you for your sincereity in trying to help, but if you look back on some of your suggestions, i don't appreciate being patronized either.........to be honest, i was looking for professional advice from those who have either been in my position or knew someone that was...........and i have gotten that information privately thank you to them. IF you are still a student, there is no way you can possibly know my poisition or how it feels, let alone be able to provide realistic help if you haven't even taken boards yet.............to suggest to me that i should think about getting a good study book or go to a good board review, or to do practice questions, almost made me furious..........please don;t take this as sacrastic, but i really wanted to say to all of you............DUH!.....don't you think i have done these things and gotten the proper tools necessary to prepare for this exam?....that is why i asked for advice, sicne i did everything i could do and was still struggling.............my advice to all fo you is to think about ehat you are saying before you say it............some of your words have insulted me, like i have not the intelligence enough to know better.

and, you can't always do what you have to do inorder to get to a board review.......i was scheduled to go to one in Philly at Drexel around VAlentine's day, but had to cancel due to a major blizzard of 2 1/2 feet that closed my town and all interstates in and out........i had no choice, i couldn't go.......that was the closest one and the cheapest one........i cannot afford to go to any others that are in another state...it is impossible.

a lot of advice is easy to give until you are privy to that person's life and other circumstances, instead of assuming that the person just doesn't have a clue about what they are doing.

again, i do thank you all for your effor to help, but maybe i just need to feel and know that i wasn't alone in my circumstance, and that it really can happen to the best of people and to the most capable of PA's..............Thanks to those who were able to give that to me, i appreciate it tremendously.

i am still here, but have not been around for a bit......have been kind of frustrated by some of your remarks to tell you the truth........thank you to some of the professionals that gave some good advice, but with all due respect to some of the students that have replied to me...i thank you for your sincereity in trying to help, but if you look back on some of your suggestions, i don't appreciate being patronized either.........to be honest, i was looking for professional advice from those who have either been in my position or knew someone that was...........and i have gotten that information privately thank you to them. IF you are still a student, there is no way you can possibly know my poisition or how it feels, let alone be able to provide realistic help if you haven't even taken boards yet.............to suggest to me that i should think about getting a good study book or go to a good board review, or to do practice questions, almost made me furious..........please don;t take this as sacrastic, but i really wanted to say to all of you............DUH!.....don't you think i have done these things and gotten the proper tools necessary to prepare for this exam?....that is why i asked for advice, sicne i did everything i could do and was still struggling.............my advice to all fo you is to think about ehat you are saying before you say it............some of your words have insulted me, like i have not the intelligence enough to know better.

and, you can't always do what you have to do inorder to get to a board review.......i was scheduled to go to one in Philly at Drexel around VAlentine's day, but had to cancel due to a major blizzard of 2 1/2 feet that closed my town and all interstates in and out........i had no choice, i couldn't go.......that was the closest one and the cheapest one........i cannot afford to go to any others that are in another state...it is impossible.

a lot of advice is easy to give until you are privy to that person's life and other circumstances, instead of assuming that the person just doesn't have a clue about what they are doing.

again, i do thank you all for your effor to help, but maybe i just need to feel and know that i wasn't alone in my circumstance, and that it really can happen to the best of people and to the most capable of PA's..............Thanks to those who were able to give that to me, i appreciate it tremendously.

and hopefully you will pass this time.

It is ok to be angry. Just come back and tell me how much of an idiot I am when you prove you can pass it. I'd be happy to eat my words. ;-)

Best of luck to you.

chris

p.s. next time, if you only want answers from graduate, professional PAs.. Simply say so.

p.p.s I really am very sorry if I hurt your feelings. I appologize.

Kimyanne:

It's hard to know what to say to folks who ask for opinions on this forum without knowing all of anothers circumstances,limitations and specific problems regarding a problem such as yours. You set out the bait by asking for others opinions and you did get alot of replies..while they may not all be pertinent to your specific situation if only one suggestion helps perhaps it will be enough to make a difference. Hang in there..hope the next exam is the passing one for you.

Guest gmellinger

It would be interesting to me to know what percentage of your graduating class have passed PANCE. Don't get me wrong, I want you to succeed. Frankly, it seems to me that you are looking for someone or something else to blame for your inability to pass PANCE to date. Realistically, that is a waste of your energy.

The reality is, if you want to practice as a PA, you must pass PANCE. You have to do what you have to do. If and when you are certified as a PA, you will face challenges on a day-to-day basis in practice that will make PANCE look like a cake walk.

Your employer, and more importantly, your patients will not care how hard it has been for you or your program's deficiencies. They are not even slightly interested in hearing about your problems or the program you graduated from. They pay you for what you know and what you can do based on that knowledge, and like it or not, PANCE is essentially a test of what you know.

You already know the questions. What you need to do now is find the answers. There are good review courses out there. There are textbooks, and on-line resources.

Just so you don't think I am patronizing - I am 56 years old. I graduated from Duke in 1987. I worked in EM, Urgent Care and orthopedic surgery for 12 years. I left medicine for 8 years, missed it, and then had to re-take PANCE last year to get back in the game. I passed. I studied. It was hard, but it wasn't bad.

For me, the result was worth the effort. I wanted that result, and I knew what was required. So I did what I needed to do. You can do that too, if you really want to. Don't waste time looking for shortcuts. There aren't any. You can look for sympathy on this forum, and you might find some. But not from me. Sympathy and "understanding" feels good, but it doesn't pay the bills. Best wishes.

Chris,

Do you mind sending your questions to me? I cannot PM my email bc your mailbox is full!

I am taking the PANCE next month. I will sign on again and send you my email in the next couple days. Thank you so much.

Kim,

I really do wish you the best of luck on the PANCE and hope that you do well.

-Danielle

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Highlift
Hi........well, i am hoping someone out there may have some encouragement or advice for me.......i am about to attampt the PANCE for the 4th time in 2 yrs.........it has been 2 yrs since i graduated and i am so frustrated and feel so helpless about this.....does anyone know anybody that has had to go thru several attempts to get certified?......i am not afriad to talk about it, since i know that i know the material and succeeded through my program.......i am feeling very let down by my school, feeling that we were left very unprepared, or should i say we could have been more prepared for this exam........expecially some of us that aren't that great of test takers, but are great in the clinical setting............i have been close to passing and with each test am getting closer now, but after 3 times of preparing and being disappointed, it has really given me like a mind block in the preparation process and i find myself having the worst time now trying to get ready........i almost don;t want to study anymore......sometimes i wonder how many times a person can go through this process and keep their sanity?.......how do i continue to pick myself up and go again?......it is soooooooooo hard to be in this position 2 yrs later, no one would ever think it would happen to them..........and the worst part is that there is not one ounce of opportunity to work in the field.....i even have a prior surgery degree, and i have tried to stay working in medicine while trying to pass this, but no one will even give you a chance knowing your status, and assumming that once you pass you will hightale it out of that job and onto your new PA career..............this is the worst thing i have ever had to go through in my life, and i was wondering if there are any others out here that going through the same thing???........I AM A 'PA'......i know that and no one can take that away from me, i earned it.......but i am just praying so hard for a change here, and some reassurance that i have suffered through this process for so long for a reason..........any advice is surely appreciated from some of you more seasoned folks....thanks.........kim

1173210869362.jpg

• 5 months later...
Guest pawannab2008

Kimyann, I am in the same boat. I have tried and I have failed. I am currently looking for a study group. I am frustrated but I will keep on trying. If you knew how sad my situation was then anyone could understand. Now, it is time for me to move on. I have started to study again. Don't stop Kimyann! You will pass and I will too.

Kimyann, I am in the same boat. I have tried and I have failed. I am currently looking for a study group. I am frustrated but I will keep on trying. If you knew how sad my situation was then anyone could understand. Now, it is time for me to move on. I have started to study again. Don't stop Kimyann! You will pass and I will too.

WOW...!!!

This is scary...!!!:eek:

"Hit or Miss" doesn't work well with "gold standard" patient care... and doesn't bode well with Malpractice Insurance policies...;)

If you have failed once. Taking the stance that "you know the material but are just a bad test taker" is fruitless. Accept your failure, it has happened. It happened because you didn't do something right. Now, stop making excuses and figure out what that is. Likely, you need to study more.

I kind of disagree, some people are not good at taking tests.

They get anxiety, and freak out.

It happens to certain people.

I knew one person that failed the RRT 5 times. But when asked questions she knew the answers, just not an a standardized exam.

Guest lisnek
King’s College

Physician Assistant Program

133 North River Street

Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711

570/208-5853

Email: sesedon@kings.edu

Credentials Awarded: M

CASPA Participating Program

that was so (not) nice of you to post the school since the OP wanted it left anonymous....are you cruel and disrespectful intentionally?

If you have failed once. Taking the stance that "you know the material but are just a bad test taker" is fruitless. Accept your failure, it has happened. It happened because you didn't do something right. Now, stop making excuses and figure out what that is. Likely, you need to study more.

I kind of disagree, some people are not good at taking tests.

They get anxiety, and freak out.

It happens to certain people.

I knew one person that failed the RRT 5 times. But when asked questions she knew the answers, just not an a standardized exam.

You may disagree... but

This IS the standard...!!!! (The best/worst that we have)

Please consider that "standardized" tests are given THROUGHOUT EVERY PA program... to prepare the student for the "standardized" PANCE...

Hell... the PACKRAT is a pre-PANCE "standardized" test...

If YOU or I can't pass a "standardized" test in a quiet climate controlled room... that we have been practicing for... for 24 months (the entire pA program) because WE "get anxiety, and freak out"... Then what are we going to do with/for the diabetic, Renal patient in DKA or VT/V-Fib...???:confused::confused::confused:

icon3.gificon3.gificon3.gif...If YOU or I can't pass the "standardized" test... then maybe... JUST maybe... WE (YOU or I) aren't ready to "care" for real live people...

If this is the case... Maybe... Just maybe... WE shouldn't be let loose with NPI/DEA numbers and hospital priviledges on the general public to reek havoc...

What are we to do with people who "get anxiety, and freak out" during testing...????

How do we insure that these people MEET THE MINIMUM standard...????:confused:

Just a few thoughts...

Contrarian

Guest lisnek

are there limits to how often you can take PANCE? will states not license you if you have multiple attempts?

kimmy what were your grades like in PA school? we had one student who consistently struggled with 40-mid 50s - and, hence, they haven't been able to pass PANCE and its been 1 1/2 years... PA schools aren't doing favors passing students who do poorly during didactic/clinical testing.

Guest WhoCares

Kimyan, pawannab2008, try to remember...we are, largely, our brains. This means many things, but applied here it means...well, practicing a musical instrument is how most people come to develop and master playing. Some people can play beautifully by ear or from sheet, but not many can do both (trust me, I know...I worked in sheet music/instruction stores and taught piano for about a decade). Some people just have differing strengths of abilities, for whatever developmental reasons. However, can both of those types of people learn to play the other's way? My opinion is that yes, they can. But the key in learning to do things a certain way is to practice and learn doing things in the way you desire to perform.

Add on top of that another relative neurological factor, which is that believing you can't is highly conducive to actually not being able to.

Those being said, it's not unheard of for people to simply not end up able to properly play a musical instrument, regardless of how hard they try or how hard they might even think that they're trying. Some people would call that 'what's meant to be', but I simply see it as neurological and environmental conditions and influences which end up steering a person in a certain direction. There's nothing wrong with not playing a musical instrument, just as there's nothing wrong with not being a Physician Assistant. The whole world doesn't have to play a musical instrument or become a Physician Assistant. The person who doesn't play an instrument well might be a damn good sailor, versus someone who can play the guitar like Segovia but who would probably get hit by a sailboat boom within 5 minutes of leaving a dock.

Obviously the person who does well in certain application other than testing, needs to work on their development...testing is a continued part of being a PA. How they do that is an individualized matter that in the end is something only they can decide on. If it works in a reasonable amount of time, great. If it doesn't, there are plenty of other things to do in the world and one of those spots in life may end up being a perfect fit for them. There's Occupational Therapy, Nutrition, a load of other options that might not have stringent multiple choice testing before being able to work in helping others in a healthcare related field. Maybe become a professor, who knows. But if someone keeps failing even after continued attempts, I believe I would start to wonder if perhaps there was something in their own psyche which was contributing to their ineffective attempts, and what it was that 'something' could be trying to 'say'.

Still, I very much agree with Maryfran123 about styles of learning and education, as well as chatcat's speculation of a possible learning disability.

Guest WhoCares

Kimyann, one thing that would probably help you right off is writing properly. I understand that writing without proper capitalization and punctuations is 'easier', but you're allowing the brain to be lazy. I think it's fine in certain situations and circumstances, but maybe try to generally be more accurate in your writing.

Archived