Photo
- - - - -

Personal Medical History and Credentialing

credentialing credentials

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Personal Medical History and Credentialing (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you disclose your personal medical history as part of the credentialing process or as a condition of employment?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (8 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

3. I wouldn't want to, but I wouldn't have a problem doing it (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I'm not sure, it would depend on how badly I wanted the job (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 narcan

narcan

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:29 PM

As the title says, I'm in the process of credentialing for a locums gig, and one of the forms asks for my personal medical history including past surgeries, illnesses, medications and current medications. This is in addition to being asked to check a box attesting that I do not have any illness or disability that would prevent me from doing the job and in addition to getting my personal doctor to sign a form attesting to the same.

This certainly seems pretty invasive, and I'm not sure if I'm going to answer it on principal. I don't have anything in my medical record or any medical problems that I am trying to conceal, but I have a problem with my medical history being in some HR lady's file cabinet.

Have you guys ever encountered the same? What would you do?

Thanks.

Emergency Medicine PA, NREMT-P

“When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.”

#2 ventana

ventana

Moderator, Past Practice Owner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:06 AM

really tough question

in general I suspect this broad based question is not even legal - BUT they do have a right to make sure you are fit to practice, where do you draw the line??

The Fine Print - you didn't pay for my advice so please consider this when reading it. I don't care about typos so don't tell me I can't type.:eek:

I vote for a PA-MD bridge program for IM with 1 yr academic then 2 years residency for IM board cert only, or Full Practice Responsibility and staged independent practice.

Jeff Kellogg, MBA, MS, PA
UMASS 2000, UNMC 2009, AMC/HVCC 2002
Founder Berkshire Mobile Medicine

https://gifs.com/gif/wpZWlm 

#3 AbeTheBabe

AbeTheBabe

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:21 PM

Isn't that against the law? I have no problem with checking the box but asking me the specifics doesn't sit right.

#4 mgriffiths

mgriffiths

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:27 AM

Almost positive this is illegal, just like you can't ask a woman about her children or plans to have children or her future plans for marriage.  You can ask someone if they are willing and capable of lifting 50lbs if that is part of the job description, or whether they are able to stand on their feet for long periods - but you can't ask someone for their medical history (unless you are the military...)

#5 narcan

narcan

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:00 PM

There was also a separate form that had to be signed by my PCP stating I was in good health and able to perform the job functions.

I returned the form blank and haven't heard anything negative, and got my temp privileges yesterday, so it seems they just let it go. Still, fishing for that information is pretty sketchy. Feels like HR run amok to me.

Emergency Medicine PA, NREMT-P

“When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.”

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: credentialing, credentials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users