Personal Medical History and Credentialing

Personal Medical History and Credentialing  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you disclose your personal medical history as part of the credentialing process or as a condition of employment?

• Yes
    • No
    • I wouldn't want to, but I wouldn't have a problem doing it
    • I'm not sure, it would depend on how badly I wanted the job

As the title says, I'm in the process of credentialing for a locums gig, and one of the forms asks for my personal medical history including past surgeries, illnesses, medications and current medications. This is in addition to being asked to check a box attesting that I do not have any illness or disability that would prevent me from doing the job and in addition to getting my personal doctor to sign a form attesting to the same.

This certainly seems pretty invasive, and I'm not sure if I'm going to answer it on principal. I don't have anything in my medical record or any medical problems that I am trying to conceal, but I have a problem with my medical history being in some HR lady's file cabinet.

Have you guys ever encountered the same? What would you do?

Thanks.

Almost positive this is illegal, just like you can't ask a woman about her children or plans to have children or her future plans for marriage.  You can ask someone if they are willing and capable of lifting 50lbs if that is part of the job description, or whether they are able to stand on their feet for long periods - but you can't ask someone for their medical history (unless you are the military...)

• 2 weeks later...

There was also a separate form that had to be signed by my PCP stating I was in good health and able to perform the job functions.

I returned the form blank and haven't heard anything negative, and got my temp privileges yesterday, so it seems they just let it go. Still, fishing for that information is pretty sketchy. Feels like HR run amok to me.

Archived