New PA student needing advice with oto/ophthalmoscope diagnostic sets

So my program requires the students to purchase an otoscope and ophthalmoscope (I know shocker) for the didactic year, which I am sure I will only ever use for practice. I know the brand to get is welch allyn, however my question is which models should I get? On my equipment list it says otoscope thats it, it does not specify if I should get macro view or not, and for the ophthalmoscope it says coaxial is acceptable. I was just thinking of getting the basic diagnostic set of just the standard scopes (non-macro view otoscope and non-coaxial ophthalmoscope) as my rational is that my clinical sites will most likely have the basic equipment that I would already be comfortable using and if they did have the better equipment that would just be a bonus. Does that make sense?

As I just suggested to the student whose program apparently demands that they buy a BP cuff (!), you will probably not use an oto/oph set after you graduate. You may, but it depends on where you work.

I would suggest contacting your "big brother" or someone else from the year ahead of you and see if you can buy theirs.

don't be silly and spend $1k+ like some of my classmates

rule of thumb is to buy the best stethascope you can afford and the cheapest legit oto-opthlamo kit you can get away with

as for bp cuff my $12 ADC works better then welch allyn's new fangled crap

Archived