I got a C in a required science class, HELP!

It depends on what schools you are looking to apply to. Many schools require a B or higher in their prerequisite classes. So if it is a prerequisite for your schools, I would look into whether a B or higher is required. Either way, given that it is IMO probably the most important prereq for PA school in terms of its relevance, I would probably retake it. I think not retaking it will hurt your chances much more than retaking it.

I agree that A&P is the most important prereq but I have a different suggestion. Many schools also offer anatomy and physiology as two separate courses. I would take those two courses separately and do well rather than repeating the same class. Treat the C as an intro.

Clearly you have to know both subjects well, but I submit that physiology (and especially pathophysiology) is more important, unless you end up in ortho or surgery. Lots of people have a tough time with anatomy. I was not the greatest anatomy student Marietta ever saw (see "Old Man on Campus" for the excruciating details!).

The problem with your combined course is that a school can't tell if you just had trouble with anatomy or you have no aptitude for physiology, which is where you will spend your career.

I got in no prob with a C in a core science class (genetics). The class was hard as hell! Didn't seem to matter though. Overall GPA was still good. I have known people with low GPAs who got in with 2 C's. No ONE THING is going to ruin your chances (besides maybe GPA < 3.0). I would consider retaking if you think you can get an A or a B the 2nd time around. Maybe take at a community college or consider taking it over the summer w/ no other (or just 1 other) classes.

Archived