• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He requested a deletion of his acct...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

I saw his response, but I just thought he was playing around, I guess not :=-0: I just saw the last time Contrarian was on here was 04-30-2013, so not that long ago. (Hopefully he is taking a sabbatical or playing around)

I saw his response, but I just thought he was playing around, I guess not :=-0: I just saw the last time Contrarian was on here was 04-30-2013, so not that long ago. (Hopefully he is taking a sabbatical or playing around)

There is no reason to sigh. As I stated at the end, I was bored and trying to stir things up. I limit myself to hanging out on just two forums these days and I have to do something when having a slow day :=-0:

I'm not saying it's dishonest to get a PhD and be called Dr. But the Doctorate of nursing seems a bit confusing when a patient sees a provider who has Dr as their title but did not go to medical school. I think I'm safe saying that they are NOT the same things.

I actually agree with you. I guess one solution is that you could make it a positional versus title issue. No matter what degree you get if you are a nurse, PA, or NP that is your title. No ifs ands or buts. Of course, some people just go to school to feel important, throw around titles, and yank chains. Those people should be exiled to small island near Antarctica. If you didn't want to be called PA or NP you should have went in to a different profession.

There is no reason to sigh. As I stated at the end, I was bored and trying to stir things up. I limit myself to hanging out on just two forums these days and I have to do something when having a slow day :=-0:

I'm not saying it's dishonest to get a PhD and be called Dr. But the Doctorate of nursing seems a bit confusing when a patient sees a provider who has Dr as their title but did not go to medical school. I think I'm safe saying that they are NOT the same things.

I actually agree with you. I guess one solution is that you could make it a positional versus title issue. No matter what degree you get if you are a nurse, PA, or NP that is your title. No ifs ands or buts. Of course, some people just go to school to feel important, throw around titles, and yank chains. Those people should be exiled to small island near Antarctica. If you didn't want to be called PA or NP you should have went in to a different profession.

I would be ok with " hi, I'm dr. smith, one of the nurse practitioners here" but not " hi I'm dr. smith".

I won't say " I'm Dr. emedpa, one of the PAs" as I feel it causes confusion but to each their own.

This is what I am talking about. For some reason I think that the introduction may go like this "Hi, I am DOCTOR SMITH" (a DNP nurse pracitioner) with no mention of not going to medical school.

SuperDuper, I WILL sigh. It's a big bone of contention here in California to have nurses be called doctor. I know many physicians who are less than pleased with this turn of events. I think it harms our position as midlevels who are already thought to be "trying to be doctors without the training". My point was in accordance with your final statement, in that if you want to be called DOCTOR then go to medical school. If you want a PhD for sh*ts and giggles, then fine, but please don't make others call you doctor. Just my little rant for 2013. Thank you for listening.

I would be ok with " hi, I'm dr. smith, one of the nurse practitioners here" but not " hi I'm dr. smith".

I won't say " I'm Dr. emedpa, one of the PAs" as I feel it causes confusion but to each their own.

This is what I am talking about. For some reason I think that the introduction may go like this "Hi, I am DOCTOR SMITH" (a DNP nurse pracitioner) with no mention of not going to medical school.

SuperDuper, I WILL sigh. It's a big bone of contention here in California to have nurses be called doctor. I know many physicians who are less than pleased with this turn of events. I think it harms our position as midlevels who are already thought to be "trying to be doctors without the training". My point was in accordance with your final statement, in that if you want to be called DOCTOR then go to medical school. If you want a PhD for sh*ts and giggles, then fine, but please don't make others call you doctor. Just my little rant for 2013. Thank you for listening.

If you want a PhD for sh*ts and giggles, then fine, but please don't make others call you doctor.

Then if I were to say, "If you want a MD for sh*ts and giggles, then fine, but please don't make others call you doctor," what's the difference? Either one gives someone the rightful title of Doctor, please don't belittle someones accomplishment just because you have issues. If someone is confused then that's their fault, ignorance is no defense in the eyes of the law.

If you want a PhD for sh*ts and giggles, then fine, but please don't make others call you doctor.

Then if I were to say, "If you want a MD for sh*ts and giggles, then fine, but please don't make others call you doctor," what's the difference? Either one gives someone the rightful title of Doctor, please don't belittle someones accomplishment just because you have issues. If someone is confused then that's their fault, ignorance is no defense in the eyes of the law.

agreed. within days of starting to work in healthcare, I stopped using the word doctor altogether. I use physician, PA, NP, pharmacist, etc. The last time i used doctor was addressing a professor in school. It reduces confusion.

agreed. within days of starting to work in healthcare, I stopped using the word doctor altogether. I use physician, PA, NP, pharmacist, etc. The last time i used doctor was addressing a professor in school. It reduces confusion.

How about instead if telling dozens of professions they can't call themselves doctors in a clinical setting, tell doctors to call themselves physicians instead. Much simpler.

I concur. Great solution. Let's mark this problem solved and move on to the next big life issue to be solved here on the forum.

How about instead if telling dozens of professions they can't call themselves doctors in a clinical setting, tell doctors to call themselves physicians instead. Much simpler.

I concur. Great solution. Let's mark this problem solved and move on to the next big life issue to be solved here on the forum.

Archived