Good Morning,

I've wanted to add a related (perhaps tangentially) thread, but this seemed a good place to post this comment:

I recently borrowed my spouse's Jeep, which has satelite radio. I tuned into a station (Sirius XM 81) called "Doctor Radio." The show to which I had tuned, however, was "The Nurse Practitioner Show." It was actually quite excellent in terms of content, but I was again reminded of the increasing visibility of NPs, contrasted against the public's misperception (or complete lack of awareness) of PAs. Dozens of times during the show, the moderator says, "You are tuned to Doctor Radio; this is Doctor Radio; thank you for listening to Doctor Radio," etc. The NP and all of her guests, to be fair, did not use the title "Doctor," but the blurring of the lines was and is clear.

Has anyone heard a PA on this station, perhaps as a guest on some specialty show? Wouldn't it help our visibility as a profession if this could be accomplished? I am a mid-life career changer (with a previously earned, clinically relevant doctorate, by the way, and I never use the title "Doctor" in my PA work). I am increasingly concerned about the future of my new profession, and increasingly frustrated by our leadership's apparent lack of concern for our viability as a field. In fact, I resigned my AAPA membership last month and wrote a similarly themed letter. For PAs in my age group, retraining as a NP (see another current thread for this discussion) is not an option.[/quote

I have heard PA guests on this show. There's also another PA/NP radio program, but never heard it. http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Web-Extras/NPPA-Team/ReachMD-Radio.aspx

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived