Student Case #RR01

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

If you think a BMI of 30 is high, you haven't looked at many Americans recently, have you? :-)

For a couple of more teaching points, let's hear from our same crowd (PA-Ss and pre-PAs)

* What causes edema in hypoproteinemia?

* How do we fix it? What do we need to be aware of when correcting for malnutrition like this?

• Administrator

If you think a BMI of 30 is high, you haven't looked at many Americans recently, have you? :-)

For a couple of more teaching points, let's hear from our same crowd (PA-Ss and pre-PAs)

* How do we fix it? What do we need to be aware of when correcting for malnutrition like this?

• Administrator

I'm going to go with the lack of plasma proteins leading to a decreased oncotic pressure and the loss of intravascular fluid to the extracellular space? And the management of it would be the addition of a whey protein supplement to coincide with her vegetarian diet? (I'm totally speaking out of my...right now)

I'm going to go with the lack of plasma proteins leading to a decreased oncotic pressure and the loss of intravascular fluid to the extracellular space? And the management of it would be the addition of a whey protein supplement to coincide with her vegetarian diet? (I'm totally speaking out of my...right now)

Agree with MediMike, albumin is one of the main osmotic substances in plasma. It pulls plasma from the interstitial space into blood vessels (and lymph?). I don't know if she needs to use protein supplements per se, but agree she needs to increase dietary protein at minimum. Maybe she needs to just focus a more balance vegetarian diet. One thing I would be aware of is her personal dietary preferences. She is in this state due to dietary choices. She might not be willing to eat certain foods that would help restore homeostasis.

Agree with MediMike, albumin is one of the main osmotic substances in plasma. It pulls plasma from the interstitial space into blood vessels (and lymph?). I don't know if she needs to use protein supplements per se, but agree she needs to increase dietary protein at minimum. Maybe she needs to just focus a more balance vegetarian diet. One thing I would be aware of is her personal dietary preferences. She is in this state due to dietary choices. She might not be willing to eat certain foods that would help restore homeostasis.

Archived